2017 HHP Week 5 - House Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009

This Week's Household Checklist

• Declutter, clean and organize guest areas. We don't have a guest room but we do have air mattresses for guests to use in our family room. It's unusual to have guests stay the night but this summer we've had several opportunities to host guests here. I happily scrambled to gather things to make the stay nice. I've been thinking on this for awhile. I think I'll set up a basket or tote in our basement with sheets, towels and toiletries that I can grab when we have last minute guests. At least, I'd know where everything is at the last minute.
This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Status Check! - Done.
  • Begin planning holiday decorating. Done
  • Inventory holiday decorations. Done
  • Declutter before you decorate for autumn. Done
  • Decorate for autumn. Done
  • Schedule houseguest stays. Family is local.
  • Make a guest room "pamper basket". Done
  • Continue working on Christmas cards. Done
Still to Do:
  • Find and order group shots of our family vacations.
  • Work on making one of the photo books this week.
  • Gather information on one paternal ancestor this week.
What are your plans for the week?

Last edited:
Reactions: Minta

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I am so excited, for over a year now we have been renovating our upstairs which houses a guest room/ craft room, guest room/ office and a sitting room. The final piece, the carpet, went in on Saturday, now on to organizing my craft material, and setting up the guest rooms. One happy camper.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Our spare room is fine. It has not been used for guests in ages. Im happy with the room itself. Its decluttered and tidy. I will get the cleaner to give it a good dust and t change the bedding- not that we are planning in it being used. Luke often has his mates stay over but they either camp out in his room if its 1 or 2. if there is a whole crowd they take over the family room.

I will continue on with finishing Luke's room- but that was always my plan- do a bit each day over the 2 weeks of school holidays. I have some stuff to finish inmy room as well- but may not get that far.

Our Summer time started yesterday so now we have an extra hour of daylight each day. I love this as I feel that I always have extra time!

Christmas prep is rolling along nicely.

Im not still 100% caught up to where I would like to be but Im getting there.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I enjoy reading everyone's plans and seeing what you all having going on. :) Farmerswife, so happy for you to have that space. You must be over the moon to have that next piece DONE!

Here's my plan for the week. I have a LOT of accounting to do this week so that will take a lot of time but since I have an extra teenager occupying my primary guest room that cuts down on what I need to do. However I DO have guests coming in late next week so I have to rework our bonus room to accommodate them. And I need dates for the ones coming in December.

Wood stove guy stood us up last week. If he stands us up again today we are going to be up against cold weather pretty quick.

Week 5 - House Room Week (Guest Room)

House:
  • Decor declutter around the house. Decorate for autumn. - On hold til wood stove is done. Ugh!
  • Garage -- declutter and sweep out before rain sets in.
Holiday:
  • Inventory holiday decorations. - DONE. (Maybe should recheck the tree lights, think we are ok).
  • Schedule houseguest stays. - Need confirm arrival dates.
  • Make a guest room "pamper basket" - Translates to stock up on wine and fresh veggies.
  • Progress on Christmas Cards -- write another little bit on Christmas letter.
  • Plus -- continue on stocking stuffers and big gift shopping
  • Plus -- cars getting serviced for winter this week. (And darn - one needs all new tires).
  • Plus -- need a gameplan for DH's dad (90s) who is now on his own. Thinking...
  • Plus -- need a new red binder cover for my recipe book (one i can remove pages from so I don't have to have the whole thing on my counter during holiday cooking.

Last edited:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Our guest room is also my hubby's man cave so he is responsible for keeping that room clean :)

We have our outside Halloween decorations up and still working on the inside fall decorations.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Farmer's wife - I'm so happy for you!

Tanya - So that is where our day light is going! ;)

Cindylouwho- It is so frustrating when people don't show up and you've rearranged your schedule for them.

Minta - I like that thinking with the man cave/guest room. Makes it simple.

The living areas are decluttered. I got the fall decorations and Halloween decorations up with the help of my daughter. We should be okay on the Christmas decorations. I bought new tree lights last year. I know we are fine on the fall decorations.

My Christmas card order came in the nick of time. I had just a few cards left from last year that got me through last week's card writing. I wrote out my next batch of cards.

I have another long weekend of activities ahead and know once Thursday arrives, nothing from HHP will get done. I'm pushing myself to finish things up by Wednesday night. Otherwise, I'll add it to next weeks list

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Tanya - So that is where our day light is going! -- HoldidayMom.
Ha!! That made me laugh! No kidding! :) (Where did our quote button go?)

Wood stove guy showed up yesterday. Yay! Made a plan, now need to choose a design and get materials. We are ripping the whole thing out and building a new hearth that better fits our wood stove. Here comes a whole lot of concrete dust! (But it will be nice to have it done for the holidays!). We are probably at least a couple weeks out. I might have to go ahead and decorate for Fall anyway and just take it down when the sledgehammers come in. Kids would probably like that.

Out and about today. Getting car #2 serviced (car #1 was yesterday). Hitting the mall for sales and stuffers. I think I'm going to transfer my list to Evernote and see how that works. I tried that a few years back and found I couldn't get a good enough internet connection in stores to load it. (I was always sure they were jamming it so people couldn't compare prices online.) But technology has improved greatly. It would probably work fine now. I really need that list in front of me.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Tanya - So that is where our day light is going! -- HoldidayMom.
Ha!! That made me laugh! No kidding! :) (Where did our quote button go?)

Wood stove guy showed up yesterday. Yay! Made a plan, now need to choose a design and get materials. We are ripping the whole thing out and building a new hearth that better fits our wood stove. Here comes a whole lot of concrete dust! (But it will be nice to have it done for the holidays!). We are probably at least a couple weeks out. I might have to go ahead and decorate for Fall anyway and just take it down when the sledgehammers come in. Kids would probably like that.

Can you cover some of your stuff up instead of taking it down. I know stores carry that clear thin plastic cover that you and use to cover the floors/furniture when painting and it is pretty cheap. It might save you from having that concrete dust over everything.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Can you cover some of your stuff up instead of taking it down. I know stores carry that clear thin plastic cover that you and use to cover the floors/furniture when painting and it is pretty cheap. It might save you from having that concrete dust over everything.

So that's where the quote button is. On REPLY. I've been looking for it!

Thanks Minta ~ that's a good idea. That room has very high ceilings so was thinking that draping plastic to block it off is going to be difficult. That said maybe "draping" everything and covering the side walls would at least cut down the mess. I remember when the house was first built. That dust was EVERYWHERE and every wall had to be wiped down with a wet rag. Took forever! Glad that woodstove isn't front and center in the middle of everything where it would all be in the way. Oh wait -- it is. ;) (Seriously, I'm thankful for that wood stove every single day of winter so making a mess is okay if it fixes it in the long run.)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
So that's where the quote button is. On REPLY. I've been looking for it!

Thanks Minta ~ that's a good idea. That room has very high ceilings so was thinking that draping plastic to block it off is going to be difficult. That said maybe "draping" everything and covering the side walls would at least cut down the mess. I remember when the house was first built. That dust was EVERYWHERE and every wall had to be wiped down with a wet rag. Took forever! Glad that woodstove isn't front and center in the middle of everything where it would all be in the way. Oh wait -- it is. ;) (Seriously, I'm thankful for that wood stove every single day of winter so making a mess is okay if it fixes it in the long run.)

You're Welcome ... I would LOVE a woodstove. Maybe one of these years we can get one installed.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I got behind, but here is what I have to do to get caught up for this week:

This Week's Household Checklist
  • Declutter, clean and organize guest areas. I do not have a guest room, I will use this week as to do the bonus room. Mostly a quick declutter and a deep clean. It does not get used much, so should not be to difficult. Thank goodness for small miracles. I need the time to get caught up in other rooms.
This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Status Check - Arghh...must get caught up
  • Begin planning holiday decorating. Done
  • Inventory holiday decorations. Done
  • Declutter before you decorate for autumn. Will declutter, but skipping the decorating
  • Decorate for autumn. Done, easy to do when I skipping the autumn decorations
  • Schedule houseguest stays. Family is local....so I will consider this done!
  • Continue working on Christmas cards. Done

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I hear ya, Jollykelly! I'm a few days behind also but here is where I am:

House:
  • Decor declutter around the house. Decorate for autumn. - DONE. DECOR IS UP.
  • Garage -- PUT A DENT IN IT. MORE TO GO.
Holiday:
  • Inventory holiday decorations. - DONE. (Maybe should recheck the tree lights, think we are ok).
  • Schedule houseguest stays. - ROUGHLY PLANNED BUT NO EXACT DATES.
  • Make a guest room "pamper basket" - SKIP.
  • Progress on Christmas Cards -- NOPE.
  • Plus -- continue on stocking stuffers and big gift shopping - GOT ONE THING.
  • Plus -- cars getting serviced for winter this week. TWO CARS DONE.
  • Plus -- need a gameplan for DH's dad (90s) who is now on his own. PLAN FORMING....
  • Plus -- need a new red binder cover for my recipe book (one i can remove pages from so I don't have to have the whole thing on my counter during holiday cooking. DONE.