2017 HHP Week 8 - Family Space

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ok, you know you are getting closer to Christmas when Cynthia Ewer's Christmas Countdown starts this week!
I will use this countdown to double check on things I may have started but forgot to put on my Still To Do list.

This week's focus is on the gathering room for the family.
http://christmas.organizedhome.com/house-holidays-plan/08-family-space-week

What do you hope to do this week?

Reactions: jampss

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Here's what I hope to get accomplished this week:

Household Checklist

• Declutter, clean and organize the family room. Done
  • Organize media and entertainment. Done
Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Halloween costume check.
  • Holiday music check. Done
  • Holiday movie check. Done
  • Start amaryllis bulbs. Hmmm… Not sure if I’ll be doing this or not.
  • Review Holiday housework expectations with family. Done
  • Work on Christmas cards. Done
Still to Do
  • Find and order group shots of our family vacations.
  • Work on making one of the photo books this week.
  • Gather information on one paternal ancestor this week.
  • Work on Spruce Up list.
  • Wrap gifts as they come into the house.

Last edited:

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I never thought about amaryllis bulbs!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have some paper whites should check to see when I need to start them. First time trying it.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Christmas is just 2 months away! Seems like not a single person around me is in the Christmas spirit yet, not even a little bit. I am not letting that deter me, and don't let it deter you either! We will be enjoying the Christmas season, while others are running around like a mad person. Here is my to do list for this week:

Still do to:
  • Finish bonus room. Once and for all, finish it
  • Finish baking supply list and shopping
Household Checklist:
  • Organize magazine rack
  • Steam curtains
  • Take out the window AC units
Holiday Prep:
  • Review holiday housework plan and delegations with DD and DH (wish me luck on this one...might be on the list longer than the bonus room is taking!)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
LOL! Good Luck, Kelly, on the delegation. I've been procrastinating on that talk all week.

School started back about two months ago, and that doesn't seem that long ago. To think that Thanksgiving is here in a month and Christmas will be here in two months is at times mind boggling. I know the time will fly.

The family room is in good shape. Holiday movies and music are good too. I have to tie up loose ends on the Halloween costume this weekend.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Holiday_Mom - You are doing great!

Before I race out the door. Lots to work on this weekend! I just bookmarked that I fell off the wagon last week but still maintained the house. So all is not lost!

Here was my list for the current week:

Family Space Week
  • Decorate for Halloween. DONE.
  • Halloween Costumes -- Got everything this week. DS needs to make his mask this weekend.
  • Tune time: make a music check. How's your stash of holiday tunes? GOOD TO GO.
  • Movie review: check the family's holiday video library & popcorn supply. NEED TO PULL SCHEDULE.
  • Create a holiday housework plan. ALREADY ON PACE.
  • Christmas Letter - Uhmmmm.... (Maybe I will have my kids help with this?)
  • Garage Doors -- Contractors came. Blew a day but these are underway. Thank goodness!

Catching up:
Wrapping Station set up -- Should come together quick since the area is cleared (as of last month).
Cookie Dough Session -- This weekend.
Freezer Cooking Session -- This weekend.
Wood Stove guy - He cancelled yesterday. Moved to the middle of Monday afternoon - which blows a whole day. It's just like the Cable guy right? Can't be morning, can't be late afternoon - must be smack in middle of day!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I will clean the closet before I go to bed tonight. I have to pull out some coats that DS and family left behind when moving and take them with me when we visit them.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Cindylouwho - Wood stove guy would be on my naughty list if I was Santa. ;) How aggravating. On the bright side, you did have the contractors in for the garage doors. How's the cookie dough and freezer cooking going?

My dd surprised me last weekend and put together the dry mix for most of the Christmas cookies we make. She went to the Christmas cookie section of the Holiday Recipe Binder. I now know it was worth the time and effort to make the recipe binder and teach the kids about pre-planning for the holidays.

I never made it to the store for the bulbs. If I see them in the next week or so, I might pick them up if the price is right.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
My dd surprised me last weekend and put together the dry mix for most of the Christmas cookies we make. She went to the Christmas cookie section of the Holiday Recipe Binder. I now know it was worth the time and effort to make the recipe binder and teach the kids about pre-planning for the holidays.

Go DD!! That's wonderful! That is exactly why I'm re-doing my own recipe binder, so I can make it digital and print one for each kid to take with them in the future. I like the look of homemade ones but I'll make sure to include lots of whimsy and they can each continue to decorate their own. I love our current one but if there is ever a fire or other disaster there is no backup. And yes I completely agree on teaching the kids to prepare for the holidays. They KNOW I start early.

And freezer cooking is DONE! The freezer is loaded up with slow cooker recipes. It was so refreshing to just be in the kitchen cooking -- its been a mighty stressful month. Its really hard to worry about other stuff when you are cooking in big batches like this. Kinda hard on my back but it gave my brain a break.

Cookie dough prep moves to next weekend because I ran out of time. Just as well, my order of King Arthur gluten-free flour didn't arrive. It should come in today. The kids are really looking forward to this. :)