2018 Christmas Countdown Week 5 - Decorate

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Got Christmas curtains up on Friday. Saturday was getting all boxes down from the attic and putting up Christmas tree. today was putting Christmas everywhere else. Tomorrow will be nativity under the tree and Christmas village in bay window. Will be finished by tomorrow night, I hope! Need to gather boxs and take them back down to the basement.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ohhh, how exciting. I have not started to decorate yet but I am giving thought as to where I am going to put things this year. We don't have a theme so much so no decision to be made there. I do want to buy some frames from the $2 shop and frame some of the kids Santa photos for a display somewhere. I think that will look good.
Real decorating will start about December 1st.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Lucie, you sound like you are just about done! I'll probably ease into in 10 days or so.

Katrina, the Santa photos sound nice. We did one visit to Santa but I don't know that we got pictures. My children were not fond of Santa up close so we steered clear of him. They never minded him when he drove through the neighborhood on the fire truck.

To Do This Week:
  • Prepare for Thanksgiving Dinner.
  • Plan holiday decorating. It seems like holiday decorating is gradually changing in our house. I’ve always had the children do the decorating with me but the older ones aren’t as excited. My middle schooler still enjoys it but not all the typical things are being put out. I think I will sort through the Autumn/Halloween/Thanksgiving decor before putting it back in the totes next weekend.
I enjoyed reading these articles at Organized Christmas - Frugal Holiday Decorating Tips and (There's No Such Thing As) A "Perfect Christmas."

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, some of those articles look interesting. I have struggled over the past few years with Christmas changing as the kids are now adults. I need to realise that there is no such thing as a perfect Christmas,

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We will decorate this upcoming weekend. Game plan is to decorate the outside Friday as long as DH gets home from work early enough and I am back from shopping LOL otherwise we will decorate the outside early Saturday before the rain moves in Saturday afternoon. The trees will go up Friday night but won't get decorated until Saturday evening. Hoping to have all the decorating done by Sunday evening.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Finished! My decorating inside is done. Now DH has to take care of the outside. Has been snowing all morning so it was really nice for decorating while watching a Christmas movie. Boxes are back in the basement too. DH will put them under the garage.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Some of you are doing so well.
We will not start decorating until December 1st but I am giving thought to how I want the house to look. I want it to be an "explosion of joy". DD BF has never seen our house at Christmas and his family are not Christmas people so I am hoping to show him how wonderful it can be. Does that make sense?
I hope that I don't overwhelm him......a risk I am willing to take. lol

Reactions: AuntJamelle

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
I'm posting late this week...I came down with a cold Sunday and am just starting to feel better. I'm supposed to drive 100 miles tomorrow to my sisters...we'll see how I feel. I'll do most of my decorating this weekend. I had hoped to put the lights up outside Saturday, but now they're saying rain, so I'll have to watch the weather forecast. I pulled out of the drive this morning and one of my neighbors had their outdoor lights on. Very pretty! It's a country road, and only a couple of us put lights out. I don't usually do a theme, but since I live in the country, I'm doing a farm country look with buffalo plaid and woodsy accents. So far I've made buffalo plaid placemats and pot holders, and am making a tablecloth for the kitchen. And I have a couple woodsy print flannel quilt throws to toss on the couches. And I have this really cute piece of fabric that has little deer in a snowy woods...I'm thinking a tree skirt.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Horsemama. glad that you are feeling better. Your decor sounds really cozy.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I agree! Your decor sounds so nice, horsemama!