2018 Christmas Prep for You

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Katrina started a thread like this last year and I've been thinking about this recently. I saw the benefits of taking care of myself especially the week leading into Christmas. I'd like to be more aware of self-care earlier this year.

I'm planning on a weekly time between now and Christmas when I can either read a light-hearted book or watch a light-hearted movie.

I also want to do more stretches and cardio each day as a way to alleviate stress factors that pop up. I've been pretty good with it but I have caught myself making excuses for not exercising this last month.

What do you want to do to take care of you?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I want to continue with my running and my monthly massages or facials. I would also like to take up a hobby. I keep talking about wanting to learn quilting and they offer a free class here on base, I just need to go sign up. That is on my list of things to do THIS MONTH! More bubble baths with candles, and more reading books for fun.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We (DH, DD and I) just joined the gym so my goal to work up to 4 days a week, an hour each time. I need to download more music to my phone for the gym trips. I also picked up more books so I want to carve out at least 3 30 minute blacks of time each week for reading, more if I can fit them in.
Spend at least 1 day a month making soups to freeze for lunches. I love soups in the colder temps but can't stand the canned stuff anymore .. to salty or not enough flavor so I want to have several single serve packs ready in the freezer.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
GREAT topic! I've been feeling the need for some self care!!! It always gets pushed to the bottom of my list - where it usually just falls off! lol

Other than scheduling a massage or facial or both between now and Christmas I can't think of anything else that I would actually make happen.

Maybe getting my hair cut/colored.

Dreams of snuggling up to read a new book in fresh PJs while the tree lights twinkle and snow falls softly outside remain just that - dreams! Between the dogs and the husband and the kid by the time I have a chance to settle in with a book I manage about 5 minutes before I put out the light and go to sleep!

I do think I need to be sure to get to bed early - no later than 10PM - during the month of December.

We push ourselves so hard that time of year - our immunity lowers - and we get sick! At the worst possible time of year - does this happen to anyone else?

I swear by Airbourne tablets that you dissolve in water and drink - I am going to just take them even before I feel sick this year.

And take Vitamin C - try to get extra veggies in, etc.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Yup some days there are just not enough hours in a day although it has gotten better since I started delegating more stuff to DH and the kids. I get plenty of vacation time from work so when I feel my self starting to burn out I take a day off from work to either help get caught up at home or to do something for me.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Going to bed earlier and drinking more water.
I've been doing good at going to the gym 3 X a week and doing soft-stretching or yoga on my days off here.

Sleep is at the top of my list and I agree more soup!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We all need a bit more self care at all times but especially over the next few months.
I too really need to get to bed earlier and try to avoid the electronics. I suffer from burn out leading up to the end of the year so sleep is important.
I need to drink more too as it is getting warmer here. I have a bottle of cold tea on the kitchen bench and I sip on that through the day.

I need to schedule hair cut and colour appointment for the end of November. Pedi and nail appointment will happen about the week before Christmas.
I think I will get brows waxed and tinted too to save some time over the Christmas period.
I will give myself permission to sit and relax and enjoy the moment. that is why I am working so hard now, so I can enjoy it all then.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We push ourselves so hard that time of year - our immunity lowers - and we get sick! At the worst possible time of year - does this happen to anyone else?

I swear by Airbourne tablets that you dissolve in water and drink - I am going to just take them even before I feel sick this year.

And take Vitamin C - try to get extra veggies in, etc.

I'm starting to feel run down now. We have a lot of new fall activities that are keeping us busy. I think it is the lack of sleep that ends up getting me. I am taking this weekend to catch up on sleep and rest. We take Vit. C tablets and eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I think I need to set a timer at 9:30 pm to remind me to stop what I'm doing and get ready for bed. I'll keep Airbourne in mind. We never tried it before.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Been using emergen-C this week... have had a cold last few days. been going to bed earlier last week but did not sleep much during the weekend. will try to get more sleep in this week

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I've been turning off the computer or TV by 9:30 pm and getting to bed at 10 pm the last couple of nights. I feel a difference in just two days alongside the vitamins. I really am going to try to make this a habit this week. I like having more energy.

Reactions: luludou

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Love this topic! It's so easy to fall behind caring for ourselves when we are so busy planning, working and caring for everyone and everything else around the holidays.
I have my massages and chiropractor appointments already booked. My wonderful husband has booked our couples mani/ pedi appointments. And I am in charge this year for getting tickets for our December holiday date night.
We take Zicam here to help fight colds or flu. And always washing our hands or using hand sanitizer when we go out.
Besides making sure I get plenty of sleep I think just getting everything done (as much as possible) reduces my stress level. Then I can relax and enjoy the month of December.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i would like to take a cake decorating class also go to bed earlier i always watch tv most of my shows dont come on till 10 then i have to get up at 430 so its hard sometimes.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think that getting as much done as we can now will free up time when we really need it. I believe that being so on top of the prep early has helped make the Christmas period much easier for me.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Anyone want to be part of an accountability group for this Christmas Prep for Me? I know it's going to get harder for me as the days grow busier. I'm finding excuses now for not getting in a walk or doing other exercises. I'm putting Christmas Prep for others ahead of Christmas Prep for me. :mad: This is a hard habit to break. Sigh...:rolleyes:

This week:
  • I want to put in five days of 2 miles of walking either outdoors or on the elliptical.
  • I want to get in 500 crunches or other abdominal exercises for 5 days.
  • I want to keep getting to bed by 10 pm 5 days a week.
  • I want to keep taking my vitamins daily.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What a great idea Mary.
I too need to get to bed at a reasonable time, too much time on the electronics before bed.
I need to keep up the water supply, at least 1 litre a day.
I want to tidy up some of the fiddly little things so that I am not bothered by them at Christmas time and can focus on more pressing things.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm with you... I've been doing less and less on weekends because I always have so much to do.
- Keep my 3 days a week at gym
- Rest of the week yoga - stretching at least 20 minutes
- at least 4 glasses of water a day
- Bed by 9:30, 9:45 latest
- Vitamins & probiotics
- Do the 'bothersome' things as they come up instead of procrastinating

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Glad to have some company!

Midweek Check in - I've forgotten my vitamins completely! I've gotten to bed twice before 10 pm. I've done the exercise and abdominal exercises four days so far. Because of the time change last weekend, I decided to get up at 5:30 am this week. I'm trying to use that extra time to get the exercise all done in the morning.

How's it going for you?

Reactions: luludou

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Vitamins and probiotics are taken (oops! forgot the probiotics this Morning), have gone to bed earlier and did 2X gym, today is rest day.
However, I think I'm coming down with a cold :( have been having a small cough. will take emergen-C this Morning.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am doing ok. I look at my planner and am not sure where I am going to fit in all that I still have to do.
Getting to bed earlier and sleeping better so that is a plus.
Lucie, I hope that the cold turns out to be a non event.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Lucie, I hope you are feeling better.

Katrina, Great job on the sleep.

I think I have to make a small little chart to check off each day for the vitamins and keep it next to my daily "work to do" sheet. I keep forgetting! I got in the 5 days of exercise. I took one day off during the week and I'm taking off today at this point.