2020 Christmas in July Week 3 July 12th-18th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Fun questions!

Gift giving- I love giving gifts! So much fun to see the receivers expression when they open them. I try to make or buy something special. I’m always taking notes on ideas for gifts. I like to get gifts too. It’s not so much the gift it’s self that’s important but the thoughts that went into it. I will give gift cards if I know it’s a place that the receiver loves
We don’t do lists here. I try to pay attention during the year so I have ideas. I do ask my son if there is anything special or a particular need he has. Last year it was he was running out of deodorant lol. He is pretty easy to buy for. My husband is not so I do ask him for ideas. Sometimes he gets a specific item or at least it points me in the right direction.

I don’t really have a dollar limit for the 3 of us. We rarely give gifts to each other during the rest of the year so we make up for it at Christmas. For my 2 friends, they usually get the same thing- something I’ve made. Same goes for my 2 cousins.

I would rather give homemade gifts over store bought every time. I feel like when I make something I put much more thought and time into the gifts. Homemade gifts are much more personal.

What’s in my gift closet?? I have kitchen towel boas I made for several people. Starbucks gift cards. Toilet paper (for my son, I always buy household supplies for him). Several shirts for my husband. Vaccum sealer attachment for bottles for my son. Christmas ornament for my husband. And a ton of other stuff.

My list??? There isn’t really a list. I did hint to my husband about a couple of Anna lee dolls and a book about Christmas past. I know what I’m not getting. There is a particular book about WW2 I was interested in, my husband was going to buy it for Christmas until he found out it’s close to $400. We had a good laugh. I told him it’s the thought that counts.

Stockings- We didn’t do stockings growing up. So that was a new tradition when I married my husband. We have those ratty red fake fur type like you wold get at Walmart. I always wanted to make “nice” ones but never did. When we were first married I stuffed them. Now it’s lottery tickets and maybe a special piece of candy. I was spending money on junk or stuff none of us needed. I’ve been in charge of stockings since we’ve been married

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Five items in my gift closet
3 pairs of rain pants for dgd
Journal and pen
cookie scoop
Fuzzy socks
Five items on my gift list
Belts from Grip6 got my DH one for Father's Day and he loves it. Will get them for the rest of the men. https://grip6.com/collections/top-sellers/products/mens-classic-black-belt?variant=3826828476429
Making travel games for Dgds, Connect 4, Tic Tc Toe, Fishing, and Guess Who
Business card holders from Chicago Cubs fabric
Double pot holder for the adult girls. Similar to kitchen boa.

Last edited:

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Question, do you give Christmas themed gift to people for their Christmas gift?

Reactions: Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Christmas Gifts

How important is gift giving to you - I definitely think it is important - picking the perfect gifts is part of the way I show love and it's probably one of my favorite things about Christmas!!!

How important is gift receiving to you - Meh, I like it but I would typically say I enjoy giving more. The exception being when someone gives you something you know they put a lot of thought/time into - that is the best!

Do you give gifts only from the gift list provided or do you add a surprise gift - Only some provide me with a list, majority of time time I just have to take a stab at it! Even when picking from a list I think there is still a surprise factor because you never know what someone is going to choose from your suggestions. And I always do extra "surprise" type gifts too - might just be something small I made, but something!

Are you one that must spend equally on all or go by number of gifts. Do you sometimes get items at a good sale/clearance price and use the original price as the cost to equalize the monetary budget? - I budget set amounts, more for immediate family, less in other cases. When giving in a situation there are multiple kids, I try to keep it even. I go more by the finished gift offerings than how much I spend in some cases. So if I got a GREAT deal on something - I don't necessarily buy more just to even things out. Between clearance shopping and homemade gifts/food gifts everyone is always WELL taken care of!

Homemade gifts vs purchased gifts? - I make tons of homemade gifts, try to learn a new skill every year. This year it was etching glass so a lot of the gifts are glasses or dishes. I give homemade to people I know will appreciate it which is most everyone on my list.

What’s in your gift closet? Name 5 items. - A bunch of bath and body lotions, nail polish gift packs, etc. picked up during the after Christmas sales last year. And a TON of handcrafted gifts, felt ornaments I've sewn, recipe binders I've made, etched wine glasses and baking dishes, etc.

Name 5 items on your gift list. - Still planning for purchased gifts - don't expect to see people spruce up their wish lists for a while yet!

Stockings Gifts

Are they decor or filled with gifts? - Filled with gifts!

Size: Small, Medium, Large, or XLarge? - Standard size! We have them for the dogs too! :)

List some items you use to fill them. Be specific, help your fellow MHH’ers out. - Oh this is a tricky one, so many things I've done over the years. I have a massive list by category I've shared before and can again if desired. My go to's tend to be bath and body type items for girls, food items for DH (nuts, jerky, smoked cheese that don't need refrigeration, etc.) - maybe small tools he's asked for - for DS I put in small toys I've purchased or made - silly string maybe...overall if possible I try to include "consumeables" - things that will get used up as opposed to creating more clutter.

Is a specific person assigned to the filling of stockings? - That would be ME! DH does get things for mine!

Do you have a dollar limit on stocking fillers? - I have a total $ limit for each person, into which the budget for stuffers goes. Typically keep costs down. But if there is a small gift they've asked for that will fit in the stocking I typically do that.

Do you have a theme for them? - I have enough trouble figuring out things to put in them without adding a theme! LOL

Do you fill with the same thing every year? - DH and the dogs yes - with small variations for DH. Things for DS changes each year based on age.

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
I never do this because I feel they can only use it for one day and then it goes away for 11 months. I do buy my kids silly christmas stuff in the run up to Xmas - pens, socks etc for advent

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
Christmas Gifts

How important is gift giving to you - I definitely think it is important - picking the perfect gifts is part of the way I show love and it's probably one of my favorite things about Christmas!!!

How important is gift receiving to you - Meh, I like it but I would typically say I enjoy giving more. The exception being when someone gives you something you know they put a lot of thought/time into - that is the best!

Do you give gifts only from the gift list provided or do you add a surprise gift - Only some provide me with a list, majority of time time I just have to take a stab at it! Even when picking from a list I think there is still a surprise factor because you never know what someone is going to choose from your suggestions. And I always do extra "surprise" type gifts too - might just be something small I made, but something!

Are you one that must spend equally on all or go by number of gifts. Do you sometimes get items at a good sale/clearance price and use the original price as the cost to equalize the monetary budget? - I budget set amounts, more for immediate family, less in other cases. When giving in a situation there are multiple kids, I try to keep it even. I go more by the finished gift offerings than how much I spend in some cases. So if I got a GREAT deal on something - I don't necessarily buy more just to even things out. Between clearance shopping and homemade gifts/food gifts everyone is always WELL taken care of!

Homemade gifts vs purchased gifts? - I make tons of homemade gifts, try to learn a new skill every year. This year it was etching glass so a lot of the gifts are glasses or dishes. I give homemade to people I know will appreciate it which is most everyone on my list.

What’s in your gift closet? Name 5 items. - A bunch of bath and body lotions, nail polish gift packs, etc. picked up during the after Christmas sales last year. And a TON of handcrafted gifts, felt ornaments I've sewn, recipe binders I've made, etched wine glasses and baking dishes, etc.

Name 5 items on your gift list. - Still planning for purchased gifts - don't expect to see people spruce up their wish lists for a while yet!

Stockings Gifts

Are they decor or filled with gifts? - Filled with gifts!

Size: Small, Medium, Large, or XLarge? - Standard size! We have them for the dogs too! :)

List some items you use to fill them. Be specific, help your fellow MHH’ers out. - Oh this is a tricky one, so many things I've done over the years. I have a massive list by category I've shared before and can again if desired. My go to's tend to be bath and body type items for girls, food items for DH (nuts, jerky, smoked cheese that don't need refrigeration, etc.) - maybe small tools he's asked for - for DS I put in small toys I've purchased or made - silly string maybe...overall if possible I try to include "consumeables" - things that will get used up as opposed to creating more clutter.

Is a specific person assigned to the filling of stockings? - That would be ME! DH does get things for mine!

Do you have a dollar limit on stocking fillers? - I have a total $ limit for each person, into which the budget for stuffers goes. Typically keep costs down. But if there is a small gift they've asked for that will fit in the stocking I typically do that.

Do you have a theme for them? - I have enough trouble figuring out things to put in them without adding a theme! LOL

Do you fill with the same thing every year? - DH and the dogs yes - with small variations for DH. Things for DS changes each year based on age.
Awww what do you put in your dogs' stockings?!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Christmas Gifts

How important is gift giving to you
I love giving gifts. I do not care if the person gives my gifts away. I enjoyed getting it.

How important is gift receiving to you
I do get upset when immediate family do not give a gift to me. Others I do not mind. Sometimes people are just not in the mind frame or they have a lot of stress going on so they can skip the gifts. A call, email or text is just as good.

Do you give gifts only from the gift list provided or do you add a surprise gift.
I do listen all year about what they might need or want. But I'm really glad to work from a list. I'd rather give them something they really want.

Are you one that must spend equally on all or go by number of gifts. Do you sometimes get items at a good sale/clearance price and use the original price as the cost to equalize the monetary budget?
I am not fair. Sometimes you find the perfect gift for someone that might be higher priced so I give it. Over the years it works out.

When my kids were very young I gave the same number of gifts to each after I heard DD tell DS she had more gifts than he did. It was the year DS got Star Wars ships which were expensive. After that I would wrap batteries separately if I had to make it even. lol

Homemade gifts vs purchased gifts? Either or even used items or from a Thrift Store.

What’s in your gift closet? Name 5 items.
Way tooo many toys for Grandson. lol
Plus 2 remotes cars for Dh's grandsons but they will be mailed this month for them to enjoy. Kids get to much at Christmas so I like to give their gifts early.

Name 5 items on your gift list.
Hood ornament for my car
All black tire rims for the car
Drop earring cuffs

Stockings Gifts

I gave up on stocking gifts.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
When my kids were very young I gave the same number of gifts to each after I heard DD tell DS she had more gifts than he did. It was the year DS got Star Wars ships which were expensive. After that I would wrap batteries separately if I had to make it even.

THAT is hilarious!
Awww what do you put in your dogs' stockings?!

New toys, bones and bags of treats! :) Sometimes we get some of the "fancy" dog cookies they sell at pet stores - they are decorated to look like Christmas cookies :) ne year I did new leashes too.

Almost never. I have a book of Christmas memories from the 40s and 50s I am giving to DMIL for her early December birthday this year...I think she'll enjoy reading during the season. If I'm gifting ahead of the actual day - like to teachers - giving them gift wrap supplies packaged in a cute way with a fun tag has gone over well. Another good one is a bundled set of Christmas theme paper goods - plates, napkins, etc. with a tag "Our Christmas Wish For You - Less Dishes to Do!" :)

Reactions: Minta and rabble

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Christmas Gifts

How important is gift giving to you - Giving gifts to those who may be forgotten, underappreciated or unseen is more important than giving gifts to family and friends. We exchange gifts with our children and have a done a secret Santa gift exchange with my siblings in the past. Dh's family don't exchange gifts. I still give a gift to my in-laws.

How important is gift receiving to you - I would expect a gift from dh and my children but not anyone else.

Do you give gifts only from the gift list provided or do you add a surprise gift. - If I have an list, I do prefer to work with that. However, if there is no list, than I will buy a surprise gift. Sometimes, if the budget allows, I will get a surprise gift if I think that the receiver would like it.

Are you one that must spend equally on all or go by number of gifts. Do you sometimes get items at a good sale/clearance price and use the original price as the cost to equalize the monetary budget? - I spend equally on my children. I spend a smaller amount on siblings and even a smaller amount on service people, essential workers and charity wish lists. If something is on sale, that is even better. It allows me to purchase something else so the sum total is still within the budget limit.

Homemade gifts vs purchased gifts? If time permits and I know the receiver will appreciate it, then I will make a homemade gift. 90% of the time, I give store bought gifts.

What’s in your gift closet? Name 5 items. I don't have a gift closet.

Name 5 items on your gift list. I don't have a gift list.

Stockings Gifts

Are they decor or filled with gifts? The stockings are filled with small gifts for the kids. Dh and I don't do stockings. Maybe that will change when it is just the two of us at home.

Size: Small, Medium, Large, or XLarge? We have the traditional size stockings.

List some items you use to fill them. Be specific, help your fellow MHH’ers out. A year supply of toothbrush heads, travel size toothpaste, travel size tissues, travel size lotion, lip balm, hand warmers and chocolate make their way into the stockings every year.

Is a specific person assigned to the filling of stockings? I put the presents out and fill the stockings on Christmas Eve after everyone goes to bed

Do you have a dollar limit on stocking fillers? $25 is the limit. It's a bit tricky since a year's supply of toothbrush heads cost so much.

Do you have a theme for them? No

Do you fill with the same thing every year? Yes, for the most part.

Question, do you give Christmas themed gift to people for their Christmas gift? I have bought Christmas items when they were on clearance like kitchen towels and tablecloths. I have also purchased homemade Christmas scented soap from a local business. I just made sure to give the gifts at the end of November so they could be enjoyed during December and the Christmas season.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Stockings! I found this to be the hardest of gift giving. I don't want to say I am cheap but I do have a limited budget. To fill with nice items that would fit into a stocking i.e. jewelry, wallet, gift cards, to fill it can add to more that the gift under the tree.

So...I have a plan for 2021 Christmas I am making stockings for all. Since we draw names for Christmas anyway, the stocking will be filled for the person for whom's name you drew. So if I draw DD's name I will fill it with things she likes and that will be her gift. All stockings will have to look alike so it remains a secret but may or may not be fun. I plan to become a expert stocking filler since I will have only one to fill.

There are themes you can give to stockings,
Travel, small bags for shoes, medicataions, personal items magazine, map, brochures from travel agents, gum, mints , travel shampoo, soap dish, toothpaste etc.
Reading, paperback book, bookmark, travel light, mug for tea or hot chocolate, slippers socks,
Other Themes , gardening, tools, office supplies, kitchen items think gift baskets but smaller items.
This year I'll be making everyone a movie box - I've seen large popcorn boxes, the red and white striped ones like the photo below, and I plan to add a box of movie candy, a package of microwave popcorn with some popcorn seasoning, a soda, and a gift card to Amazon so that we can each choose a movie or two.
Dollar Tree has the popcorn buckets in both large and individual sizes. FYI.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Christmas Gifts

How important is gift giving to you.
Gift giving is very important to me. I try very hard to find great gifts for my family.

How important is gift receiving to you.
I do enjoy getting gifts but like a lot of you I would like one or two things that I really like rather than a whole lot of stuff that I don't enjoy. Give me a great candle and a bottle of bubble bath and I am happy.

Do you give gifts only from the gift list provided or do you add a surprise gift.
We do use a Christmas gift list that we put on th fridge in September. I so try and buy one or two things from the list but the rest are gifts that I think the kids might like or something that they have mentioned throughout the year that I think they may need.

Are you one that must spend equally on all or go by number of gifts. Do you sometimes get items at a good sale/clearance price and use the original price as the cost to equalize the monetary budget?
My kids have always got the same number of gifts and I try hard to make sure that they do get the same amount. The money side of things does not always add up the same. DS gets seasons of shows on DVD and they are quite expensive so sometimes I spend more on him then I do on DD but not so much that there is an obvious difference.

Homemade gifts vs purchased gifts?
A combination of both but generally more bought than made for the family, more made than bought for Mum.

What’s in your gift closet? Name 5 items.
DVD's for DS, a gardening book for DH, travel packing cubes for DFSIL, various make up for DD, a knitted cushion for Mum and a few other things are in there so far.

Name 5 items on your gift list.
A metal sign for my kitchen, new bras, colouring book and pencils, new planner and wall calendar,and I would like a new handbag.

Stockings Gifts

Are they decor or filled with gifts?
We have 2 stockings, once each for us all plus the dogs that hang from the mantle and then our stockings.

Size: Small, Medium, Large, or XLarge?
Xtra large. We actually have Santa sacks that are much, much larger than a pillow case.

List some items you use to fill them. Be specific, help your fellow MHH’ers out.
Because ours are so big we can get quite a lot in them. I put in tooth brush and paste, shampoo and conditioner, gum, lip balm, a bottle of Coke, tissues, hand sanitiser, headache tablets, gatorade, lollies, chips, bottle of water, deodorant, razors, shave gel. I put in anything that I think the recipiant will find useful.

Is a specific person assigned to the filling of stockings?
No, just me.

Do you have a dollar limit on stocking fillers?
No, not really. I pick up a lot of the stocking fillers while grocery shopping so they become a part of the fortnightly budget.

Do you have a theme for them?
No, but I do wrap a lot of the fillers so that the kids get the excitement of opening their gifts.

Do you fill with the same thing every year?
I do try and come up with different things every year so that the stockings do not become boring. Having said that though there are certain things that the kids have some to expect to be in their stocking and would be a little sad if they were not in there.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
And also - do you wrap stocking gifts?!
I do wrap stocking fillers. Not everything that goes into the stockings are wrapped but most are. My kids enjoy unwrapping their stockings.
We also do stockings for the dogs and it is fun to see them unwrapping their gifts.

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
I do wrap stocking fillers. Not everything that goes into the stockings are wrapped but most are. My kids enjoy unwrapping their stockings.
We also do stockings for the dogs and it is fun to see them unwrapping their gifts.
I've always wrapped stocking gifts too - but last year not sure whether it was out of laziness or not, I was really reluctant to. I've seen some styled stockings where the contents aren't wrapped and they look really nice. Not sure what to do this year.

Awww lucky dogs! Mine had a stocking last year. The amount of mess that can be made from paper is unreal

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I love to give gifts... homemade and store bought. I love seeing the smiles on the faces of the gift receiver.
Every year we open a Christmas Club, put money into it monthly and that pays for a large chunk of the gifts we buy/give. This year I am doing more homemade gifts for extended family and close friends.
We give the kids the same amount of gifts every year. Gifts under the tree and gifts in their stockings. Packs and gum and candy bars make great filler gifts to even out the numbers LOL.
I buy some standard stocking stuffers each year hallmark ornaments, gum, candy, chapstick, Bath and body works hand lotion & hand sanitizer and then I get a couple thing that fit each person. I wrap most of the stocking stuffers but not all of them.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Stocking stuffers - always wrap them - it is tedious but that is what my mother did:). Usually travel sized stuff, some candy, a gift card or two, maybe a tiny lego.

Of course the dog gets a stocking! Treats and maybe a big bone.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i love giving and receiving gifts. i try to listen to what my kids want and i even ask what they want . i always buy something i think they will lkie. i like buying and getting gift cards . i wrap in all colors . i try to put new things in their stockings. but the girls like bath and body products g cards so they always get that. dvds candy they love godivas chocolates