2020 Christmas in July Week One 1-4

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Welcome to Christmas in July! Since we are starting in the middle of the week I thought a couple of reflective questions would be nice in preparing us for a good discussion of what Christmas will be in 2020. So we begin with memories.

July 1 - July 4, 2020

Memories

July 1-2

Share your best childhood memories of Christmas past. These could be memories of family gatherings, funny mishaps, a difficult Christmas, When Santa arrived at your house, how wishes were granted by Santa, Christmas pranks and more.

July 3-4

Share your memories as an adult. Reflect on a most memorable Christmas happening. The first time you hosted Christmas for the extended family, forgetting to put out a special gift, time you granted a Santa wish, what fun ways you made Christmas for children. Any Christmas pranks?

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My younger brother was in the a hospital on Christmas day one year. He was 3 I think. We got up Christmas morning and went into the family room and no one want to open gifts because we weren't all together. Mom said she would call the doctor and see if he could come home. She was told if she could find a pharmacy open that good fill the prescription needed he could. I'm not sure how many calls she had to make but she found one! She went to the hospital to get him. They had a Santa there that asked him what he wanted for Christmas and he told them Baby Crawl Along, anyone remember that doll? My mom told him not to expect it because it was Christmas eve and Santa may not have anymore.
Well low and behold he got a mini wind up crawling doll and "we all" had a blast with it. He told mom, See I told you Santa would get it for me. When everyone was together we opened gifts.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
So many good memories! Growing up there was no list. It was understood always that I would get what Santa and mom and dad wanted me to have. My cousin had the Pebbles and BamBam dolls. I was so in love with them. My mom must have heard 100 times how wonderful those dolls were that summer. I can remember the excitement when I realized what was in the box I was unwrapping Christmas morning. I still have those dolls!

Christmas Day at grandmas was so much fun. The last Christmas at the farm was in the new basement at the little house. We had a old fashion Christmas like grandma had in the old country. And similar to what mom and her siblings had growing up. There were real candles on the tree (and a hose near by!) and straw on the floor ( and a bunch of mice living in the straw lol). Sprouted wheat on the tables. Grandma, mom and the aunts and uncles talked about Christmas growing up. I guess the kids and grandpa would sleep on the floor around the Christmas tree! They were very poor but you wouldn’t have known listening to them talk.
I miss the holidays at the farm. It was all very plain and simple. Nothing elaborate or fancy. Just good times and good food with family.

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
I only have one good memory of Christmas as a kid. I think I was around four, and I remember waking up and opening my eyes the TINIEST amount to try and spy Santa. One of the adult's luckily had the foresight (or pure coincidence) to wear a red sweater as they set out my Santa gift that year. It was a stuffed bear that i still have 29 years later!
As a kid, Christmas was never a special thing, so that's the my only fond memory of it lol

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
One great and funny memory of Christmas is the year that Mum and Dad locked the living room door and the chaos that ensued. There must have been a lot of Santa gifts (unwrapped, large things) that year so Mum and Dad weren't taking any chance that the surprises would be spoiled if my sister and I got up before they did. There we were, Christmas morning, anxiously waiting for the door to be unlocked and Dad couldn't find the key!! He looked, and looked, and looked and after what I'm sure seemed like an eternity, the door was finally unlocked and the gifts revealed! It wasn't until years later that my parents told us that they had had the key all along, it was the flashbulbs (really dating myself here!) that Mum couldn't find and she was frantically searching, not wanting to miss the Kodak moment of capturing our faces when we saw the tree and the gifts!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I had the equivalent of today's Barbie doll and my mom had spent hours sewing her a wardrobe of gowns and dresses for my Christmas present.

I still remember my first look at the beautiful, blue, form fitting tulle gown she had made for "Barbie".

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
Mine isn't one particular memory, but rather an accumulation. We would all go to Grandma and Grandpa's house on Christmas Eve. There I would get to see my brothers (who were all grown and on their own), aunts and uncles, all my cousins and any tag-alongs. We kids would play in the big glassed in porch until it was time to eat and then the kids' table was in the family room while the grown-ups all had a quieter and somewhat less rambunctious meal in the dining room. After supper, we of the younger set would do the washing up and then head to the school yard nearby for some slightly modified version of football and the adults would sit and visit. Then it would be time for Grandma to play the organ and everyone would sing. After that it was time to all sit in a huge circle and open gifts, one at a time, starting with the youngest and ending with Grandpa. We'd go round and round until everyone was out. Then we would play with our new treasures or try things on and show them off or just talk and laugh. It was time for everyone to admire each others gifts and have a little more dessert if they would like. Everyone would finally load up and head for home around 11 or so, which made for sleepy Christmas mornings. It's been 20 years since G&G sold the house and everyone started moving away and we all had a Christmas together like that. I love remembering those times- those were blessed days.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Mine isn't one particular memory, but rather an accumulation. We would all go to Grandma and Grandpa's house on Christmas Eve. There I would get to see my brothers (who were all grown and on their own), aunts and uncles, all my cousins and any tag-alongs. We kids would play in the big glassed in porch until it was time to eat and then the kids' table was in the family room while the grown-ups all had a quieter and somewhat less rambunctious meal in the dining room. After supper, we of the younger set would do the washing up and then head to the school yard nearby for some slightly modified version of football and the adults would sit and visit. Then it would be time for Grandma to play the organ and everyone would sing. After that it was time to all sit in a huge circle and open gifts, one at a time, starting with the youngest and ending with Grandpa. We'd go round and round until everyone was out. Then we would play with our new treasures or try things on and show them off or just talk and laugh. It was time for everyone to admire each others gifts and have a little more dessert if they would like. Everyone would finally load up and head for home around 11 or so, which made for sleepy Christmas mornings. It's been 20 years since G&G sold the house and everyone started moving away and we all had a Christmas together like that. I love remembering those times- those were blessed days.
What wonderful memories! As a military child and now a military wife, we are very rarely close enough to have an extended family celebration so I love to hear about others.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
What an absolutely beautiful thread full of treasured memories. It helped me to remember mine and I was frantically writing them down as I was scrolling through so I wouldn't forget. I need to write them somewhere in a notebook for sure so I can always remember and share with my kids.

When I was little, we had my dad's parents that lived right next door (we lived out in the country) and my mom's parents lived 2 hours away. On Christmas Eve we would drive to an aunt and uncle's house on my dad's side about half an hour away and have a family gathering. There was lots of food (grandma at the stove making noodles/dumplings), all the cousins and fun. I have such fond memories of this. We would eat and play and then we would gather in their huge den and open presents. The adults would have drawn ahead of time to see who was buying for who and our grandparents gave us all envelopes with some money in them. It makes my heart ache that my kids will never experience any traditions like that. Looking back it really was magic....the drive out there, the gathering with family, food and love, the drive home and anxiously setting out cookies for Santa and going to bed and not being able to sleep. One year I swore I heard sleigh bells. On Christmas Day, my other grandparents would drive to our house from 2 hours away and arrive around lunchtime. I remember watching out the window for their arrival knowing that they would be loaded down with gifts. We would eat and open presents and have a great afternoon and then they would head home.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
What an absolutely beautiful thread full of treasured memories. It helped me to remember mine and I was frantically writing them down as I was scrolling through so I wouldn't forget. I need to write them somewhere in a notebook for sure so I can always remember and share with my kids.

When I was little, we had my dad's parents that lived right next door (we lived out in the country) and my mom's parents lived 2 hours away. On Christmas Eve we would drive to an aunt and uncle's house on my dad's side about half an hour away and have a family gathering. There was lots of food (grandma at the stove making noodles/dumplings), all the cousins and fun. I have such fond memories of this. We would eat and play and then we would gather in their huge den and open presents. The adults would have drawn ahead of time to see who was buying for who and our grandparents gave us all envelopes with some money in them. It makes my heart ache that my kids will never experience any traditions like that. Looking back it really was magic....the drive out there, the gathering with family, food and love, the drive home and anxiously setting out cookies for Santa and going to bed and not being able to sleep. One year I swore I heard sleigh bells. On Christmas Day, my other grandparents would drive to our house from 2 hours away and arrive around lunchtime. I remember watching out the window for their arrival knowing that they would be loaded down with gifts. We would eat and open presents and have a great afternoon and then they would head home.
It sounds like it should go under the heading of the song "Over the river and through the woods", lovely memories. It is tough to always be so far apart from extended family.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
July 1....my favorite Christmas memory is going to my Aunt's on Christmas Eve every year and spending time with all of my cousins. I loved my Aunt's house and on her tree she had bubble lights. I thought they were the coolest thing ever. She also did a lot of decorating of her house, which spoke to me. We all ate around a huge table in her rec room and we always got to drink soda. Very nice memories.

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
I have great memories of Christmas as a child, my Mother was a great decorator and we always had a pretty table set with her good china and little place card candy holders. Christmas Eve we attend Church service with just our family and then tried to fall asleep knowing it was a big fun day to come with Grandparents, Aunt & Uncle, cousins coming to do the traditional Christmas things. They lived 3 hrs away so having them come and stay overnight was the most exciting part!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What a beautiful thread to start with.
I have lots of wonderful memories. When I was very young money was pretty tight at our house but Christmas was so beautiful and eagerly awaited all year. My Mum and Dad were great Santas and tried so very hard to give us kids amazing experiences. I remember making paper chains and lanterns with my Mum in the lead up to Christmas and helping her to bake wonderful goodies. Something we still enjoy doing. Christmas then was very simple and very magical, I had the best days growing up.

On the 14th December 1998 my Dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer, we knew that it would be the last Christmas with him.
We hurriedly got all the family together, (my brother lived a few states away) and we celebrated the last Christmas with my Dad. There were many photos taken and many stories told, too much food eaten and way too many presents but we had the best family Christmas, it was magic. Dad passed in June 1999.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
What a beautiful thread to start with.
I have lots of wonderful memories. When I was very young money was pretty tight at our house but Christmas was so beautiful and eagerly awaited all year. My Mum and Dad were great Santas and tried so very hard to give us kids amazing experiences. I remember making paper chains and lanterns with my Mum in the lead up to Christmas and helping her to bake wonderful goodies. Something we still enjoy doing. Christmas then was very simple and very magical, I had the best days growing up.

On the 14th December 1998 my Dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer, we knew that it would be the last Christmas with him.
We hurriedly got all the family together, (my brother lived a few states away) and we celebrated the last Christmas with my Dad. There were many photos taken and many stories told, too much food eaten and way too many presents but we had the best family Christmas, it was magic. Dad passed in June 1999.
That's a tough one. We didn't realize that Christmas 2008 would be my Dad's last - he died just a few short weeks later in February. We did, however, have an amazing Christmas in 2008 and have so many wonderful memories to look back on.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
@sweetpumkinpye
@PamelaG

I liked all the post on this thread so far but wanted y'all to know what I liked about each of your post was that you have great memories of those last Christmases..

Reactions: GrammaDeb and Lana

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
To be honest this first question is a bit hard for me. I love reading y'alls beautiful childhood memories. But can't relate to them because most of my childhood was stolen from me.

However, Christmas in my 16 year technically/legally I was still a child. That year I was blessed with becoming a mother on my 16th birthday. It was the beginning of making Christmas the joy it should be for a child. Since then my memories of all holidays have been doing my part to help my children and grandchild enjoy them.

~Tricia~

Snowbell Ann

MHH Member
Jun 29, 2020
MO
Much like Kringle there is not one in particular for me. the tradition was and still is... On Christmas eve me, my Nanny And Papa, Mom, Aunt and Uncle (sometimes come sometime don't) all gather together at our house and eat ( sandwich, Pizza, ECT) and open gifts alot of time with one of us giving a prank gift to one or the other, after we have finished open gifts ( and laugh at whoever has gotten pranked) we sit around tell stories and laugh when my Aunt and uncle and sometimes my mom leave for the nite then the clean up would ensue ( when I was younger I would try to get out of that LOL) back then after that it was time for bed before Santa came. Now it time to help meal prep if we have not already done that Christmas Eve Morning. Then on Christmas Day we open stocking that morning then finish any cooking needed done and wait on the guest to arrive when everyone get here eat Christmas meal together laugh and share more stories ( and Now it is also the day we open gifts from my Aunt and Uncle so it is another round of laughs and pranks.) then everyone leaves and it is time for clean of again and from there it about leftovers and preparing for the New Year. :)

oh and I really like the part of dressing up for both days, oddly enough it one of the most fun parts for me LOL

~Ashley~

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
One of my favorite memories of Christmas was when I was in kindergarten. On Christmas morning, I walked down the steps with the bright movie camera lights shining in my eyes and waving at the camera with a big grin. I could see that Santa Clause had stopped by to deliver gifts. My two favorite gifts that year were the kitchen set to play house and the blackboard to play teacher. I was so thrilled that I ran to the living room window and tried to open it up. My dad asked what I was doing. I told him I wanted to thank Santa for the gifts. My dad said that he was sure that if I just yelled it loud enough, Santa would hear it. I yelled as loud as I could, "THANK YOU, SANTA CLAUS!" In hindsight, I'm pretty sure now that Santa Claus heard me loud and clear. :D