2020 - HHP - Week 11 - Food Storage

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We'll be cleaning out the pantry and the refrigerator this week as well as thinking about the items we'll need for the cooking and baking ahead.

What would you like to get done?

Reactions: happy2bme

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I follow FlyLady's cleaning zones. This week's zone is the kitchen. It matches nicely with what I'll be doing with HHP.

Household Checklist
  • Clean out the refrigerator.
Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Inventory the pantry.
  • Review recipes and make a shopping list.
  • Eat from the freezer and pantry this week.
  • Stock up on seasonal staples.
Still to do:
  • Look for Citron at the grocery store.
  • Write out Christmas Cards
  • Wrap gifts as they are delivered or bought.

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Household Checklist:
  • clean fridge - done
  • clean oven
  • clean/inventory freezer - done
  • clean/inventory pantry - done
Holiday Prep Checklist:
  • review recipes/shopping list
  • work on Christmas cards

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got the refrigerator cleaned out and wiped down. I just need to wipe down the appliances and cabinets.

I did grocery shopping and bought what I could to keep the pantry stocked. I'm buying the seasonal items as they go on sale. Citron is found only in one store that isn't nearby but I'll keep it on this list to remind me to stop the next time I'm in that area.

Update: Dd came home from college today because she was exposed to COVID-19. She'll have to get tested next week. Until then, I'm on borrowed time. The nurse said that if dd tests positive, then we have to isolate for 10 days and then quarantine for 14 days. I never heard that but I realized then that time is short regardless.

Game plan as of now is to figure out what really is essential for the the next 3-4 weeks and then work on those items. Off the top of my head, I want all the Thanksgiving foods in the house and I want to order/buy as many Christmas gifts as I can in the next few days.

Last edited:

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Did some pantry rearranging. Wasn’t crazy about how I had things arranged, not to mention we are bursting at the seams here. Like the new arrangement much better. will have easier access and keep track of things. I still have the above the stove area to re-do. Will tackle that after I finish my coffee. Then will start my Christmas trees!!!!!!
I actually cleaned some of the windows. We are having some issues with our front door and I think the seal is leaking on one of the windows. So they all got cleaned. A little frustrated with it all. The entire set up is only 7 years old and we paid a fortune for it. We hardly use the front door. I guess I just need to deal with it. Will eventually get to the rest of the windows. They are harvesting the 300 acres across the road- so much dust. So I’ll wait.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got some more gifts bought and I'm taking a break from cooking side dishes now. Items ordered last week are starting to arrive. I'll finish cooking the side dishes today and then freeze them. I may start on wrapping if I'm feeling up to it.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
The self clean function on my oven doesn't work. Today was the second time I have used it with no luck. I will spray it with oven cleaner before I go to bed and clean it out in the morning.

I always like to have a clean oven before I start my Christmas baking, so this needs to be done.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm late on my check-in.... but my upright freezer finally arrived this past week! Hooray!!! The delivery guys must have known it was Food Storage Week! Ordered that thing last Spring! Thank goodness it is finally here! We have extra food crammed into our other freezers with the rest of our annual meat order at a friend's' house. Finally can get things organized!

Rearranged the fridge and decided we didn't really need to dedicate an entire drawer to fruit so changed that to our cheese drawer. Also am shopping containers to store the bacon and shredded cheese because these large Costco packages are just out of hand. I'm going through a ridiculous amount of ziplocks so am gong to order some containers specifically for the cheeses. We use glass containers for food storage and really like them so we are just going to up our game on our cheese storage too. Just need to find the right size. So many are too big or too small..

HolidayMom -- Sorry to hear about DD. Hope she tests negative! I hear you on getting everything IN THE HOUSE before Thanksgiving. Our state got pretty shut down a couple days ago but we saw that coming so I hustled last week to get most of the groceries in for Thanksgiving. Still need the, uhm, turkey.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Cindy - I got rid of the fruit door too and made it a cheese drawer! Great minds.....