2020 - HHP - Week 2 - Calendar and Creative Spaces

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We move on to looking at our calendar and rooms where we do our sewing/art/crafting.

What do you hope to get done this week?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm hoping to get the following done this week:

Household Checklist:
  • Declutter and clean creative spaces. I just did this a few weeks ago when cleaning out our basement.
  • Assess stored crafts materials. I just did this a few weeks ago when cleaning out our basement.
Holiday Prep Checklist:
  • Create a seasonal calendar. I will look into what is still listed as happening on the community calendars at this point and pencil it in my calendar. I'll also pencil in tentative dates for family requested activities at home.
  • Review gift lists.
  • Inventory unfinished crafts projects.
  • Begin a "Gifts to Make" list.
Still to do:
  • Figure out holiday budget for this year

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Household Checklist:
  • Declutter and clean creative spaces- Already did this last week
  • Assess stored craft materials- Already did this
Holiday Prep Checklist:
  • Create a seasonal calendar
  • Plan holiday travel- No travel for us
  • Hold a scheduling session
  • Start a set of tear files
  • Start and use a shopping list
  • Review gift lists
  • Inventory unfinished craft projects- I don't have any
  • Begin a "gifts to make" list

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
I like this......I have a craft corner in our bedroom so one would think that should be easy, but being small and having scrapbooking supplies in a desk, and one 3 drawer wicker stand with a 3 drawer plastic bin on top and in 3 Peterborough baskets it is always cluttered.....so I will work on that.

I will write down on a "gifts to make" list my plans so I can check those off instead of randomly remembering something and thinking "Oh yah!".....

Thanks for the reminder Holiday_Mom!

Laurie - homemade4me

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I will write down on a "gifts to make" list my plans so I can check those off instead of randomly remembering something and thinking "Oh yah!".....

I make homemade ornaments for my dc each year. However, this is the first year that I considered it a gift to make. :rolleyes: Why it took me this long, I have no idea. I want to make sure I have what I need sooner than my early December panic shopping.

Reactions: homemade4me

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
The sewing room is pretty much cleaned between projects. I traditionally deep clean and purge in Jan/feb.
I have a list of the supplies to have on hand this winter for projects and have started buying them.
My planner is pretty well set. We have decided we will stay close to home this year instead of trying to plan to attend any events.
Gift list is pretty well taken care of and I’m finishing up my homemade gifts.
Yesterday I deep cleaned the living room, entry way and closet. Today I did the guest room.
Trying to get ahead on my cleaning so when my sewing machine is fixed I can get back to quilting.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I looked at the calendar for upcoming school events and not much is going to be happening there or in the community from what I can tell.

The farm that we go to for the corn maze is open. The community pumpkin festival is cancelled. We have a farm store that we go to on the weekend for apple cider donuts and apples. We may go after school instead because of the crowds that show up there.

There will be no Christmas concert or nativity play. The Christmas parade was cancelled. We'll still plan to get a tree at the farm. With all the colleges closing their campus after Thanksgiving and no after school activities happening this year, it will free up lots of time for us. If the family is onboard for this idea, I think I will do an Advent activity countdown to do to make it festive around here.

Reactions: luludou and PamelaG

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I think I will do an Advent activity countdown to do to make it festive around here.
Mary I did that for DH and myself. Some days are just to read a Christmas themed book or listen to Christmas music. Other days are more active such as making blessing bags and planning games to play for when/if our children can come for New Year's Eve. (That is when we will celebrate family Christmas.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Household Checklist:
declutter & clean creative spaces - done

Holiday Prep Checklist:
create seasonal calendar - done
start shopping list - done
begin a "Gifts to Make" list - done

Last edited:
Reactions: luludou

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I've been going through the various community calendars in my area to see what Christmas activities will be taking place this year. I was so happy to see my two favorite events will be happening! Things will be a little bit different with having to follow COVID guidelines and such, but not a big deal.

One of these is a huge Christmas craft show and farmer's market and the other is a Polar Express Train Ride that DD and I did for the first time last year. We are so excited these events are still going to take place!

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I've been going through the various community calendars in my area to see what Christmas activities will be taking place this year. I was so happy to see my two favorite events will be happening! Things will be a little bit different with having to follow COVID guidelines and such, but not a big deal.

One of these is a huge Christmas craft show and farmer's market and the other is a Polar Express Train Ride that DD and I did for the first time last year. We are so excited these events are still going to take place!
The Polar Express train ride sounds like fun! Do you go to a destination and get off for a bit and then return? Or do you stay on the train the entire time?

Ugh! The corn maze is not open at all this season after all. I had heard it was and when I got online today to find out the cost, I couldn't find anything on their website until I scrolled to the very bottom of the screen. They are closed for the 2020 season. I don't know if this is permanent or not. They had been in business for 16 years. Sigh...

Dh and I found a different corn maze that will open in two weeks. We'll go to that one this year. After that disappointment, I thought I better check to see if the other local farms are still in business. The one that we go to for cider and donuts is operating. Whew! We put that down on the calendar for October.

I was also online looking for tree farms to cut down our Christmas tree. We went to a tree farm that was new to us last year. (The one that we had been going to for years closed permanently in January of 2019.) It was difficult for us to find a tree that we liked. It literally was a forest of evergreens. I don't think anyone paid any attention to the trees once they were planted. One side looked great until you went to the back and saw that it was growing into the tree behind it. :rolleyes: That farm was our last best hope. It looks like we'll have to go to a market to get our pre-cut tree. There is one very close to the old tree farm that we liked. We're going to try that place unless we hear of another place.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Week 1 and 2 usually merge for me as my office space tends to overlap into my creative space. Plus we are in the midst of a Covid remodel where everyone is tired of their spaces so we are redoing things. Repainting, repurposing, reorganizing etc... things that can be done on a small budget. . At least there is no major sheetrock or demolition planned. I'm not sure how our Covid remodel is going to work this plan as when this plan is on one room I might be working on another. But I DO like how this plan organizes its rooms so I think I'll plan on working on the room of the week regardless and just kinda juggle both at the same time. Not ready for the Master next week but mentally I know it would be in my best interest to work on the Master.

I've gone over all my lists and such and really need to get things condensed. So many duplicate lists! My recipes are still in both hardcopy and digital but I really only use digital these days.... Much to ponder. Honestly, I think I've just overwhelmed myself with everything that has to be done! :). Baby steps right? I'll get through it. I'm a bit befuddled with my schedule this year with everyone at home. The house is supposed to be empty in Sept so I can get stuff DONE! Too many people underfoot! (I'm sure many of you can relate!). ;-)

Week 2 - Calendar & Creative Spaces

Home:
Schedule Now: chimney cleaning, home services, carpet cleaning, & family photo -- In process...

Holiday:

Enter key seasonal dates into calendar app -- DONE.
Plan Holiday Travel – DONE. Looks like we are all hunkering down here.
Refresh Pinterest Board & Paprika for ideas, recipes, gifts…. Reviewed my boards Need to condense.
Start shopping list – DONE. Loaded up into Excel. Reviewing ALL my app lists. Need to condense.
Start a "Gifts to Make" list & Inventory supplies. DONE. Started.
Bullet Journal Cleanout – emptied my notebook in prep for holiday focus. Starting afresh.

Need catch-up from Week 1:
Determine the “Family” Gift for this year – this sets the remaining budget.

Declutter Office / Paperwork Center – Big dent. Re-working our office this Fall, so…

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
The Polar Express train ride sounds like fun! Do you go to a destination and get off for a bit and then return? Or do you stay on the train the entire time?

Ugh! The corn maze is not open at all this season after all. I had heard it was and when I got online today to find out the cost, I couldn't find anything on their website until I scrolled to the very bottom of the screen. They are closed for the 2020 season. I don't know if this is permanent or not. They had been in business for 16 years. Sigh...

Dh and I found a different corn maze that will open in two weeks. We'll go to that one this year. After that disappointment, I thought I better check to see if the other local farms are still in business. The one that we go to for cider and donuts is operating. Whew! We put that down on the calendar for October.

I was also online looking for tree farms to cut down our Christmas tree. We went to a tree farm that was new to us last year. (The one that we had been going to for years closed permanently in January of 2019.) It was difficult for us to find a tree that we liked. It literally was a forest of evergreens. I don't think anyone paid any attention to the trees once they were planted. One side looked great until you went to the back and saw that it was growing into the tree behind it. :rolleyes: That farm was our last best hope. It looks like we'll have to go to a market to get our pre-cut tree. There is one very close to the old tree farm that we liked. We're going to try that place unless we hear of another place.

I read online that Home Depot will deliver Christmas Trees this year. I don't know if it's online purchases or after you purchase it from the store. I wouldn't want someone else picking out my Christmas tree! lol

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Honestly, I think I've just overwhelmed myself with everything that has to be done! :). Baby steps right? I'll get through it. I'm a bit befuddled with my schedule this year with everyone at home. The house is supposed to be empty in Sept so I can get stuff DONE! Too many people underfoot! (I'm sure many of you can relate!). ;-)
Oh, yeah, I can relate to this. I'm going to work in the room that is on the plan each week but there are other rooms/areas that need to be dealt to make this "At home due to COVID-19 concerns" situation bearable. The house size seemed fine when everyone was little but now that we have 4 young adults and a teen here more often than not, it seems crowded.

I read online that Home Depot will deliver Christmas Trees this year. I don't know if it's online purchases or after you purchase it from the store. I wouldn't want someone else picking out my Christmas tree! lol

I could see how this would be nice for certain situations, but I agree that I wouldn't want a stranger picking out my Christmas tree.

Reactions: Cindylouwho

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Same problem here.

Carpet going to be removed and new flooring installed in entire upstairs and desk out for refinishing so it is quite impossible to know where things will go when things are done.

Everything emptied from file cabinet is on hall floor. Everything still has to be emptied from our bedroom.

Impossible mess!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place

The train is about an hour. They have actors playing the characters and short scenes from the movie are played out during the ride. There are also outdoor scenes that take place that the train stops at, so you can watch. They serve the best cocoa and cookies I have ever tasted!

Here's the link to their website: https://www.aspencrossing.com/polar-express

• Love
Reactions: luludou

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
The train is about an hour. They have actors playing the characters and short scenes from the movie are played out during the ride. There are also outdoor scenes that take place that the train stops at, so you can watch. They serve the best cocoa and cookies I have ever tasted!

Here's the link to their website: https://www.aspencrossing.com/polar-express
Wow! That is impressive. It is nothing like I imagined. I think it sounds like so much fun! :)

Reactions: happy2bme

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Everything emptied from file cabinet is on hall floor. Everything still has to be emptied from our bedroom.

Impossible mess!

Same here! Filing cabinet was on my office floor yesterday (with more to go, but I got through a good section of it). And DS's room has been dumped into the hall to get ready for painting. My car needs to be loaded with donations but there is so much smoke out there from the fires that we are trying to stay inside.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I thought of you ladies as I sorted through a pile of folders filled with papers that needed to be sorted through. I have two more large piles of papers go through.

there is so much smoke out there from the fires that we are trying to stay inside.
I live on the East Coast and the weather forecasters were saying that the haze we saw at sunset on Monday and tonight was from the smoke out west. The jet stream carried it across the country. Amazing... I hope you stay well.