2020 - HHP - Week 3 - Master Bedroom and Personal Spaces

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This week we move into the Master Bedroom and begin to think about mailing cards and/or gifts.

What's on your list this week?

Reactions: jampss

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
In the past, I could always find an hour or two a week where I had the house to myself and that's when I would do the prep work in the family room. I didn't realize how much that one to two hours to myself was a luxury. This year, I have a college student doing online classes at home. That leaves me with my bedroom becoming the area to do the Holiday Prep.

I was looking at the Master bedroom yesterday and I'm going to have to do a decluttering session and possibly find a home in another part of the house for some items currently in our room. I need the space for storing gifts and wrapping gifts. I had stored the gifts in our basement but we've converted a part of the basement into a "student lounge." I'm going to wrap the gifts in our bedroom and store them there this year. I don't want to be lugging wrapped gifts from the bedroom, down the basement, through the lounge area and looking for areas to hide the gifts while my dc are there. It just seems awkward and I still want to keep the "magic of Christmas" by not letting my dc see the wrapped gifts ahead of time. :)

Household Checklist

• Declutter, clean and organize the Master Bedroom.
  • Decorate your restorative space.
  • Tackle the clothes closet.
Holiday Prep Checklist

• Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies.
  • Make a Christmas card list.
  • Order, buy or print Christmas cards or letters.
  • Plan personal pampering sessions, and add them to December's calendar. I am starting this in mid- October. My pampering sessions really are daily. They are getting to bed earlier, eating healthier, and making sure that I'm getting outside for walks. That has really helped me deal with the stress from Halloween through New Year's Day.
  • Bring up storage totes from basement for gifts.
  • Make a list of purchased gifts and put them into the Christmas planner.

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Household Checklist:
vacuum, mop & dust - done
clean mirror - done
clean floor under bed - done
dust pictures on walls - done
organize top dresser drawer - done
string fairy lights on headboard - done

Holiday Prep Checklist:
set aside tote for gifts - done
inventory cards, wrap & supplies - done
make Christmas card list - done

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Plan personal pampering sessions, and add them to December's calendar. I am starting this in mid- October. My pampering sessions really are daily. They are getting to bed earlier, eating healthier, and making sure that I'm getting outside for walks. That has really helped me deal with the stress from Halloween through New Year's Day.
Mary, very timely reminders. We don't celebrate Halloween or Thanksgiving here but we get really busy with other events and the weather heats right up. It is very important to practice self care in the next few months.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got through part of the decluttering of the bedroom. I think I'll need at least two more decluttering sessions in there.

The cards and stamps are in good shape. I had a couple boxes of unopened cards and a decent amount of Christmas stamps from last year. :) That was a nice surprise.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
HolidayMom -- I think the walks sound like a wonderful plan to get some sanity time. I've really grown in my appreciation for the outdoors this summer. I mean, I've always appreciated it ... but with the pandemic I have REALLY appreciated it. Usually I'm always looking forward to Fall but this year I will be sad to see the summer go. So many great hikes we've done as a family ....

This week I've been spending some time each day working on my Master Bedroom. DH still had some piles on the floor from our closet declutter last month and they've been not moving. This morning (before I had time to wake up so its kinda counts as free time cuz don't remember the effort later...I'm the same with emptying the dishwasher) I took the entire pile and put it in a nice neat bin and put it on the shelf. He probably won't need anything from it and if he does it is right there. Otherwise next Spring it is leaving.).

Out and about today (in the smoke) but will need to get some time in that office and will see if I can make a baby step on those labels. Christmas cards is my biggest fail every year. I do get the letter written usually. This might be a good year to start a new tradition. Who here writes an email? I'm not one to put everything on social media like most of my friends do...

Week 3 – Me and Mine Week – The Master Bedrm

Home:
Declutter, organize & rejuvenate the Master Bedroom.
Declutter Clothes Closet -- Done.
Reorganize the attic -- From summer use to winter use in prep for Gift Closet...

Holiday:

• Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies.
  • Make a Christmas card list -- Ugh. I really need to go digital.
  • Print address labels for Christmas cards -- but I still need these just in case.
  • Order, buy or print Christmas cards or letters
  • Contemplate Christmas letter.
  • Plan personal pampering sessions, and add them to December's calendar.
  • Inventory gift closet any previously-purchased gifts.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
HolidayMom -- I think the walks sound like a wonderful plan to get some sanity time. I've really grown in my appreciation for the outdoors this summer. I mean, I've always appreciated it ... but with the pandemic I have REALLY appreciated it. Usually I'm always looking forward to Fall but this year I will be sad to see the summer go. So many great hikes we've done as a family ....

Right there with you in the sentiment for the outdoors. I added in a 2 mile morning walk to my daily routine a few weeks back. I get up and out for the walk before I can have breakfast or coffee. It's tough some days. This week are morning temperatures are in the high 40's.

We have an outdoor dining tent with lights that is up now. We sit outside in the evening with blankets, a book and tea. I think it would be good for us to keep the tent up until the end of October or so.

I forgot all about my Austen book club meeting this evening. I was going to go through more paperwork tonight. I think I may try to sneak it in now.

Who here writes an email? I'm not one to put everything on social media like most of my friends do...

Emails would probably be good but I don't have everyone's email address. I'm not on social media.
I still send out cards with hand written personal notes to about 10 people, most of who are in the older age group. They are who I don't see often. It's just to update them on anything that's new in the family. Everyone else gets a signed Christmas card. I don't do photos or letters because it has caused me unnecessary stress when I've tried.

I'm thinking if everyone moves back home for full time online learning before Thanksgiving, then I may add in some time to watch a light-hearted movie. Maybe I'll record some Hallmark movies and then watch a little each day. Either that or find light-hearted books to read a little each day.

Well, off to go through a pile of stuff...

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I had stored the gifts in our basement but we've converted a part of the basement into a "student lounge." I'm going to wrap the gifts in our bedroom and store them there this year. I don't want to be lugging wrapped gifts from the bedroom, down the basement, through the lounge area and looking for areas to hide the gifts while my dc are there. It just seems awkward and I still want to keep the "magic of Christmas" by not letting my dc see the wrapped gifts ahead of time. :)

I currently have 4 sets of skis all over my master bedroom rug. So what do I do? Log in here, so I can stall. Sigh. If I take them to the garage I'm worried they'll get buried in DH's tool and crap and sawdust. But that's really where they gotta go. The kids and I are planning to take back the garage anyway. More on that later. The Student Lounge you mention is one of the other areas I'm on this week. It's "next" to the Master, so I'm including it in this week. GameRoom, workout room, Zoom room, meditation room and study room. It will be making a showing in my notes over the coming weeks cuz I have to paint it for starters.

I hear you on the gift wrapping. I'd like to do that too on some of them. Others I have to be careful about not changing my mind (and then having to rip everything open to make the change). It's mostly DD's items that I make changes on. Those last minute comments or purchases she makes just a couple weeks before Christmas.... :).

Okay, back to the skis. Also need to do a charity run today since my car is already loaded.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I've finished with the bedroom for now. I'll change out the spring/summer sheets and comforter in October. I've got most of my spring/summer cloths in the box but I will keep the box in the room for another week or two as we transition into autumn.

I have started a list of gifts to buy. I'm hoping to go shopping during the first week of October for stocking stuffers in particular.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have to be careful about not changing my mind (and then having to rip everything open to make the change). It's mostly DD's items that I make changes on. Those last minute comments or purchases she makes just a couple weeks before Christmas.... :).

Okay, back to the skis. Also need to do a charity run today since my car is already loaded.

I told my family not to buy items 6 weeks before Christmas or they might be receiving a second one as a gift. I figure if they buy it they must want two of them. One year we bought Dad a battery charger and a new electric shaver. A week before Christmas he was telling me about buying these items. He still got them for Christmas. lol He gave them back to me. I held on to them and then gave the razor to him when his stopped working.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
\
\ Christmas cards is my biggest fail every year. I do get the letter written usually. This might be a good year to start a new tradition. Who here writes an email? I'm not one to put everything on social media like most of my friends do...

I'm good with email for greetings (getting or receiving). I figure I'm just glad someone thought of me. I think of email or social media is just like a phone call only better. I do not have to answer a message until I have time.

I've cut out a lot of people for sending cards. I send people a card for one or two years if I haven't received one from them. Then I drop them off my list. I figure give them a year or two in case they have a lot going one in their life. I know I've bought cards and then life got crazy so I didn't get them sent for a year. This might be one of those years depending on when my surgery is scheduled.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Didn’t get a lot done this week. Not sure where the week went for me. Between my lingering vertigo, lunches out with friends and just getting a manicure ( too expensive to mess up cleaning house lol) I just picked at things in various rooms. I am decorated for fall. The fall storage containers are put away along with all of summer.

Pampering- My massage appointments are booked through the end of the year. Same with our monthly couples mani/ pedi appointments.

Christmas prep: shopping is almost done. My wrapping station is ready to go and I bought extra tape the other day.

Food prep- I have 3 very fat chickens for soup in my freezer. Once I located parsley root I’ll make soup for Christmas Eve dinner. I’m watching for the butcher to post when I can order the ham.

Cards- I have my cards, stamps, and return address labels. I only do a few cards, in addition to the card swap here. No letters, just a personal note on each.

On the subject of “ magic of Christmas”- Our son who is 35 would be horribly disappointed to come home and see all the wrapped gifts before Christmas morning. Santa still has to come on Christmas Eve while he is sleeping at this house. I guess we are never too old for the magic of Christmas.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Between my lingering vertigo, lunches out with friends and just getting a manicure ( too expensive to mess up cleaning house lol) I just picked at things in various rooms.
I hope you feel better soon. I had just a few hours of that once while on vacation due to an ear infection. I can only imagine how difficult it is to deal with it longer.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I hope you feel better soon. I had just a few hours of that once while on vacation due to an ear infection. I can only imagine how difficult it is to deal with it longer.

I get really frustrated with it because it tends to linger. I try not to let it run my life but some times I think my stubbornness keeps it hanging around longer. Thankfully it’s finally gone.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Late in getting back on this so logging it in for the record to reassure myself that I'm on track.

Myron's Mom -- Veritigo? Is that a regular thing?

Home:

Declutter, organize & rejuvenate the Master Bedroom. -- DONE.
Declutter Clothes Closet -- DONE.
Reorganize the attic -- From summer use to winter use in prep for Gift Closet... DONE.

Holiday:
  • Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. DONE.
  • Make a Christmas card list
  • Print address labels for Christmas cards -- but I still need these just in case. DONE.
  • Contemplate Christmas letter. -- 2020 is such a crazy year and crazy world.
  • Plan personal pampering sessions, and add them to December's calendar. NO IDEA WHAT THIS WILL LOOK LIKE THIS YEAR.
  • Inventory gift closet any previously-purchased gifts. -- TOOK A GENERAL LOOK. NEEDS WORK.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Late in getting back on this so logging it in for the record to reassure myself that I'm on track.

Myron's Mom -- Veritigo? Is that a regular thing?

Home:

Declutter, organize & rejuvenate the Master Bedroom. -- DONE.
Declutter Clothes Closet -- DONE.
Reorganize the attic -- From summer use to winter use in prep for Gift Closet... DONE.

Holiday:
  • Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. DONE.
  • Make a Christmas card list
  • Print address labels for Christmas cards -- but I still need these just in case. DONE.
  • Contemplate Christmas letter. -- 2020 is such a crazy year and crazy world.
  • Plan personal pampering sessions, and add them to December's calendar. NO IDEA WHAT THIS WILL LOOK LIKE THIS YEAR.
  • Inventory gift closet any previously-purchased gifts. -- TOOK A GENERAL LOOK. NEEDS WORK.

I’ve battled vertigo for about 20 years. My chiropractor helps me manage pretty well. I haven’t had a episode like this for a while, usually just minor stuff. The neurologist said as I age I may find it gets worse. I’ve always battled motion sickness and had inner ear problems. I have medication but it barely touches major episodes.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul