2020 - HHP - Week 4 - Kids Rooms or Another Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
The next area of the house we'll work on is the kids rooms or another room in the house.

What are hoping to get done this week?

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Household Checklist:
DD takes care of her room and there's no bonus room to deal with, so I am going to use this week to catch up on the huge To Do list that is on my fridge. - this list is a never-ending project, but I did manage to cross a few things off.

Holiday Prep Checklist:
Seasonal Spruce-Up exercise - done
Make list of stocking stuffer ideas - done

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Household Checklist
  • We don't have an extra room and the dc worked on their rooms in August. I'll be taking the week off to catch up with things here.
Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Seasonal Spruce-Up exercise - Review list from summer and go through house again for additional updates.
  • Make a list of stocking stuffers.
  • Decide on Halloween costumes. Done. Dd will use the Zazu costume I made for the Lion King play she was supposed to be in this past spring. I don't know if our neighborhood will still be doing Halloween but we will still celebrate at home.
  • Make a list of items needed for the Advent activity list.
  • Start working on Christmas cards or letters. I can not believe that it is time to start this!
  • Take note of birthdays and anniversaries. I picked up birthday cards and Thanksgiving cards so I'm covered through November. I think I'll make a list of birthday cards to buy for December - February.

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm getting things done but a bit slower than I thought. I didn't account for some evening meetings this week and unexpected correspondence. I think it's very unlikely that I'll get to the Christmas cards this week. I do hope to go through the Spruce Up exercise though.

How is everyone else doing?

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Slow going here too! I’m not getting things done as fast as I would like. Master bed room is a mess because I haven’t had a full day to clean in there. Only need to vacuum and put everything back in place now. Then I’ll tackle the walk in closet and master bath.

I have all my cards and stamps for Christmas and the remaining holidays. I do need 3 birthday cards but going to look in my stash first. I don’t do many cards so it’s not a issue.

Stocking stuffers are lottery tickets here. Money is set aside for those already. Just waiting for the holiday ones to come out.

No sprucing up items here. Anything that needs done is a major major expense item. Landscaper will be here in the next few weeks to winterize flower beds.

I’d like to finish the cleaning the entire upstairs by the end of the weekend. That’s only going to happen if I can work uninterrupted.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Busy week with a bunch of last minute unexpected things that have taken 3 days out of my schedule. All household maintenance related so I'm glad it is happening now and not during the holidays. Weather has gone from smoke to pouring rain. Need to get my garage emptied and garden worked on before the frost hits. Worried. Will come back later for chit-chat. Doctor appts today for checkups and bloodwork.

Week 4 - Kids/Bonus Rms

House:

• Decluttering a Child's Room -- DS's Room is half painted. The ceiling was a bugger!
  • Bonus Room -- Still underway. Choosing paint colors and layout.
  • Get a Reality Check on the budget & spending. Focus. -- This is right on time. Big dollars going out for winter prep...
  • Realistic list of home improvement chores to complete before the holidays. -- Realistic? Yes, this is on time also.
  • Declutter children's toys. -- More like "stuff". Underway.
Holiday:
  • Begin collecting stocking stuffers. -- Uhm... nothing so far.
  • Hit the back-to-school clearance sales. (Stuffers, crafts, tape, etc.)
  • Consult the kids and decide on Halloween costumes. -- Teens haven't made their plans yet. Will be social distanced for sure.
  • Plan family Advent celebrations.
  • Divide the Christmas card list into five sections. Complete Section 1 this week. -- Maybe I will work on the letter.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Busy week with a bunch of last minute unexpected things that have taken 3 days out of my schedule.
This happens here way more than I'd like. :rolleyes: On Sundays my plan for the week looks nice and neat and by Wednesday... Poof... I'm left scratching my head wondering what the heck just happened. I'm so, so glad that I work on things ahead of time. It can take the pressure off just a bit.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got a few envelopes addressed but didn't write in any cards. I'll get to that next week. I've got to figure out a time to do the stocking stuffer shopping and put it on the calendar. I know myself. If it isn't on the calendar, then it doesn't get done.

It just dawned on me to put down Christmas gift shopping days on the calendar this year since I'm hearing that Black Friday is not going to look the same. I usually do most of my shopping that day. Man, this is really going to be a different type of Christmas season.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Finished the upstairs yesterday except for the master bath shower stall. I didn’t have any cleaner so it will have to wait. The walk in closet was supposed to be a tidy up job but ended up pulling all my stuff out. I got rid of a bag of clothes unexpectedly so that was nice.

I’m wondering about Black Friday too. For me, it’s been my finish shopping day and stocking up on cat litter and cat food deals. With the boys gone maybe I don’t need to go now. Curious how good the deals will be and what the day looks like.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I've got to figure out a time to do the stocking stuffer shopping and put it on the calendar. I know myself. If it isn't on the calendar, then it doesn't get done.

It just dawned on me to put down Christmas gift shopping days on the calendar this year since I'm hearing that Black Friday is not going to look the same. I usually do most of my shopping that day. Man, this is really going to be a different type of Christmas season.

Good idea. I just did the same thing. One of the DDs got a job in town so has to be there 2x/week. It is right smack in the middle of my usual route so that is perfect. And she is in a "Pandemic Pod" so only the small staff in her office gets in the door. Good social distancing. I just scheduled my shopping around this and plugged it in my calendar. I did see that all the Back to School stuff is on sale ... but my kids are grown and no longer appreciate Crayola's -- and the craft stores are too smart to put the good stuff on sale. Darn! I'm wondering about Black Friday also. The mall we go to for that is one of the more quiet malls so we can manage the crowds really well if we time it right. However that mall is also much more outdoor and that might make it a magnet this year. I'll buy what I can online but maybe will shoot for the pre-Black Friday sales ..... sigh..... I do not plan to risk crowds. Maybe we will go and scope it out and if it looks bad we will go home and order everything online....

Week 4 - Kids/Bonus Rms

House:

• Decluttering a Child's Room -- DS's Room painted. DONE.
  • Bonus Room -- Still underway. Lighting installed. Needs tweaking. LITTLE BIT DONE.
  • Get a Reality Check on the budget & spending. Focus. -- DISCUSSING. GETTING CRYSTAL BALL OUT OF THE DRAWER.
  • Realistic list of home improvement chores to complete before the holidays. -- DISCUSSING.
  • Declutter children's toys. -- More like "stuff". DONE.
Holiday:
  • Begin collecting stocking stuffers. -- Uhm... nothing so far. NOPE.
  • Hit the back-to-school clearance sales. (Stuffers, crafts, tape, etc.). SCOPED, BUT NOPE.
  • Consult the kids and decide on Halloween costumes. -- SOCIAL DISTANCE GATHERING PLANNED - LIKELY IN OUR DRIVEWAY.
  • Plan family Advent celebrations. NOPE. (Need to discuss).
  • Divide the Christmas card list into five sections. Complete Section 1 this week. NOPE.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'm hearing that Black Friday is not going to look the same. I usually do most of my shopping that day.

I'm the same here. I can't wrap my head around having to make time ahead to shop. We're always so busy on Saturdays and the one day a week that I can shop. With "town" being 50 miles away and stores closing earlier than usual, it's a bit of a challenge when the Saturdays are counted up before Christmas. Locally, we don't have much...DG, DT, Rose's, Cato, Walmart, Tractor Supply, two hardware stores, and few locally owned, overpriced gift shops in the town where I work.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm not following the schedule but today I am deep-cleaning one of the kid's rooms. Wanted dh to pain but he doesn't have the time, so...
cleaned ceiling, walls, wood trimmings, floor and furniture. will not do the closet yet... it is full of Christmas stuff. Washed the ceiling in other kid's bedroom but the rest will get done at another time.

Reactions: happy2bme

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Finally, had my 2nd wind and washed ceiling, walls, wood trimming, furniture and floor in 2nd kid's room! Not the closet either because it is full.

Reactions: happy2bme

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
That is quite an undertaking, Lucie! You must be tired but happy with all that got accomplished today. :)

• Love
Reactions: luludou

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I was ecstatic with all that was done , thanks Mary. I need to remake the bed (washed bedding) and put it in winter in dd's old bedroom. I will continue decluttering the closets in there though... slowly but surely.
I would need all that energy for another day next weekend.. would sure love to do another room in the basement!