2020 - HHP - Week 7 - Bedding and Bath Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
It's a light week on this week’s Holiday Prep. Much of the mail related prep has been done or doesn’t apply to me. I have areas from last week to catch up on since I wasn’t feeling great for two days. I just took it easy.

Household Checklist:

• Declutter, clean and organize the bathrooms. This really needs to be done!
  • Organize linen closets. I should be good on this but will double check.
Holiday Prep Checklist:
  • Check to see if linens need to be replaced.
  • Double check on bathroom supplies. I have not been keeping up with supplies since school started back. I need to do this again now that positive cases are creeping up to numbers like we had in April.
  • Continue working on Christmas cards. I just got notified that someone moved last month. I’ll have to rewrite an envelope.
Still to do:
  • Go through holiday magazines for inspiration.
  • Get out to do stocking stuffer shopping and craft store shopping.
  • Go out to buy a new top for the holidays.

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Household Checklist:
declutter & clean bathroom - done
reorganize linen cupboard - done

Holiday Prep Checklist:

stock up on bathroom basics - done

Last edited:
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I’m in full blown shopping mode trying to hit the online sales. Also trying to get our generator this week. Madness. I’m feeling rushed and it is stressing me out a bit. But I have detailed lists from at two of the kids. I usually don’t get those til Thanksgiving

Had our first fire of the season over the weekend and the chimney was not as cleaned as we thought since something blocked it over the summer. Complete clean out yesterday and is now roaring along.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
This is my finish making gifts week. I have the 2 quilts to complete, one needs the binding the other I’m quilting now.

I still have windows to do but my husband is busy working on a power point for a new class. So until that is done they are on hold. Everything else is in good shape and we are pretty much ready for Christmas.

Cindylou thank you for mentioning the chimney! We need ours cleaned and a check done on the cover over it. We had a bird in our house! Not sure if that’s where it came from or because the doors were wide open.

We love, love, love our generator. It was our Christmas gift to each other ( and then some). Such a peace of mind to have.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I’m in full blown shopping mode trying to hit the online sales.

Positive case numbers are rising here so it is making me a bit more nervous with getting out and finding things sooner than later. This week I'm focusing on the online sales and I'm really hoping to get to the stores for some stocking stuffers and maybe a few other things.

Also trying to get our generator this week.
What kind of generator are you getting?

Reactions: happy2bme

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
We love, love, love our generator. It was our Christmas gift to each other ( and then some). Such a peace of mind to have.

What kind did you get? We are looking right now and trying to figure out what we need -- portable or the big ones? Portable is more easily serviced but a bigger hassle. Need at least a 7500 to run freezers and well pump. Will depend what we can wire in. Would be nice to have one with a switch so that the world doesn't end for the kids if Mom and Dad come down with Covid and the kids are in charge when the power goes out. It is a real possibility out here and is driving the purchase. Been meaning to do it for years anyway. It is finally at the top of the priority list. Not having water is not an option.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Positive case numbers are rising here so it is making me a bit more nervous with getting out and finding things sooner than later. This week I'm focusing on the online sales and I'm really hoping to get to the stores for some stocking stuffers and maybe a few other things.

What kind of generator are you getting?

Yes, this! Same here! Worried about a shutdown. Got the big bags of chocolate purchased yesterday now that they won't melt in the attic. Going to most of the candy in the coming week so in case of complete shutdown I at LEAST have the stockings. Wonder if the holiday wrapped candy is out yet? Don't know on the generator yet. Do you have one?

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We have a small gas powered generator - just enough to run the freezer and refrigerator, but DH and I want to have our house evaluated for an automatic one that's powered by natural gas. The furnace at the new house is natural gas with an electric blower, of course. If we have an ice/snow storm, we'll be without central heat if the power is out. The stove in our kitchen is natural gas. We can turn on the burners for heat and close off parts of the house, but that's not ideal. I've been watching online for stand-alone kerosene heaters to have on standby.

I'm set as far as guest bedrooms, an advantage of just having moved. The only exception is curtains and new blinds for one of the bedrooms. The blinds in there are mini blinds. All the other bedrooms have 2-inch white faux wood blinds. I bought new curtains and rod for the living room last week. The rod came in yesterday. Hope to hang them Sunday.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Our generator is gas powered. It's used to keep the refrigerator running or the deep freezer running if necessary. Our stove is electric so if necessary we plug an electric frying pan or griddle into the extension cord and cook up food. We do have a propane grill we could use as well but never have had to deal with power out for more than 24 hours. We have a sump pump in our basement that has a battery back up in the power goes out in a hurricane.

I have only seen Halloween candy so far.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
What kind did you get? We are looking right now and trying to figure out what we need -- portable or the big ones? Portable is more easily serviced but a bigger hassle. Need at least a 7500 to run freezers and well pump. Will depend what we can wire in. Would be nice to have one with a switch so that the world doesn't end for the kids if Mom and Dad come down with Covid and the kids are in charge when the power goes out. It is a real possibility out here and is driving the purchase. Been meaning to do it for years anyway. It is finally at the top of the priority list. Not having water is not an option.

We have a 200 amp/ 48,000 kilowatt generator with the automatic relay. It runs on propane, we don’t have natural gas lines in the area we live. It runs a test run once a week for about 10 minutes. We have a all electric home with a well and sump pump. I can pretty much run my entire house as I normally do with it. The first year in this house we had a 6hour power outage December 23. Later that winter we had a 3 day outage and about froze. We had the generator by the end of the year. It is peace of mind not worrying about the sump pump not running or pipes freezing if we aren’t home. I don’t have to worry if I’m home alone either.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Who knew that lots of stuff can still be going on here in the midst of dealing with coronavirus? Time has just come and gone so quickly this week. Still hoping to get to Christmas cards...

I got some gifts ordered online this week. They should be coming in the next few days. I ran to two different craft stores and couldn't find what I needed. We used to have a third craft store to shop but they went out of business in January. I'll have to see if the item is still being carried online. If not, I'll have to rethink my gift ideas.

I picked up some stocking stuffers. The one store didn't have enough so I'll have to pick up some more at another store. in the next few weeks. I was looking to switch up the gifts that I usually give to the postal carrier, teachers, trash and recycling crew. but I have decided to keep with the traditional gifts that I give I just made me life easier now. :)

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I finished my gifts. Plan to do windows next week. My husband should be able to help then.
I think the craft stores are pretty well picked over. They seem to be getting some new stock but it’s flying off the shelves.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I'm running a bit behind on this week's tasks, we got our first snow this weekend, so shoveling was top priority. The bathroom got a good cleaning and reorganizing. I went through the linen closet and have another bag of things to take to the thrift store. I made a list of bathroom basics that are needed and will buy those next week. I am really behind in doing Christmas cards, but I will get caught up soon.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm running a bit behind on this week's tasks, we got our first snow this weekend, so shoveling was top priority.
Is it typical for you to get snow in October? We got our first frost over the weekend. I've got to start cleaning up the garden now.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Is it typical for you to get snow in October? We got our first frost over the weekend. I've got to start cleaning up the garden now.

It does happen occasionally in October. Next week is supposed to be warm and sunny again, so it won't last long.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom