2020 - HHP - Week 9 - Living Room Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We are at the halfway point of the plan! We look at our living room and preparing to send out cards and packages.

What are you doing this week?

Reactions: happy2bme

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009

Household Checklist

• Declutter, clean and organize the living room.

Holiday Prep Checklist

• Work on Christmas cards or letters.
  • Work on making/setting up Halloween games.
  • Prepare the dining room for Halloween dining.
  • Buy Halloween candy. (I use to buy it early but then we'd have to buy more for Halloween. :rolleyes: I decided this year to buy it the day before or the day of Halloween.)
  • Get costumes together.

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Household Checklist:
declutter & clean living room - done

Holiday Prep Checklist:
catch up on any unfinished tasks - done

Last edited:
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Going to try to get my husband to help me with windows later this week. Will winterize the front porch too. Other wise need to maintain what I’ve done.

Finished all my cards through the end of the year. May have a few stragglers for Christmas that I will need to do. Everything is labeled with a to be mailed date.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My car wouldn't start this morning, so had an extra day off from work. I took advantage of this and decluttered and organized the living room. I rearranged some furniture and now the room looks bigger.

I also pulled out all of my Christmas card supplies and will start working on them in November.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ugh! I hate when things like that happen. Sounds like you were looking on the bright side of things.

It's been quite a week here with things popping up every day this week. I just happy that I got through most of the Living Room so far. I'm really going to focus on Halloween the rest of the week and add on whatever is left to next week's list.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007

Way to get things done, everyone! I realized this morning I have to go back to basics on my list. I am EVERYWHERE this year, trying to do too many things in multiple categories. My house went from good shape to less-good shape with the harvest of garden (I literally have a WAGON of potatoes parked in my living room) cuz I'm still learning how to process all this stuff. Have to go get on the Freezer Thread. Also have the garage destroyed because we did all that decluttering but didn't get it off the property in time before the weather turned. The generator we wanted is on backorder (like our freezer).... So I have all these incomplete projects residing In my head. And throw in that my kids are having anxieties with the online schooling. I feel so fragmented. I'm literally pulling the basic list from the old days for this week and I'm working from that and I'm going to try very hard from here on to get each section done the week it is assigned. Like it is supposed to be.

For the living room I have some online (hate online) purchases to make. My 20-year-old much-loved sofa slipcover has finally given up on me. I need to figure out the measurements and get a new one. I need a new sofa chair but am not going to spend the big bucks on something without sitting on it in person. Looking at Pottery Barn but they are so expensive. I AM going to buy some new down throw pillows and am looking for a place to start buying the covers. That may be Pottery Barn also but it seems to me I've read about a company that has better pillows for a better price. It might be Restoration Hardware. Want to catch a sale but at some point I just need to get stuff DONE. I'm trying to add meditation into my daily routine. And I've decided I need a space to myself the same as kids need their own study space for their sanity. I have an office but it has much emotional baggage in there from caring for my parents and all that paper I had coming in. I need to give it a fresh look but that is probably a January project....

US elections are next week. Half the population will be unhappy and likely protesting. Yes, I've decided I need to do more meditation.

Public Spaces Week – Living Room

• Surfaces and Systems: Maintain Walls, Floors, Furniture and Fixtures - Need to order new slipcovers & throw pillows.
  • Review Family Emergency / Disaster Plan - page 180 -- Seriously. And I need that generator ordered.
  • Celebrate Halloween. Boo! -- Plan in place. Candy for our kids purchased.
  • Status Check on Holiday Plan. Adjust goals as needed. -- Adjusting.
  • Buy holiday stamps. -- None needed.
  • Begin saving packaging materials for shipping. -- None needed.
  • Decorate for Thanksgiving. Mostly ready. Easy switch from Halloween.
  • Complete Christmas cards or letters. --Letter only.
  • Seasonal safety check. Observe Time Change Sunday: change batteries. -- Need to check these!

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
And I've decided I need a space to myself
I've been using the outdoor space for when I need time to myself. I will keep doing that through the rest of the fall and into winter. However, I'm also keeping our bedroom a "no work zone" just so I can use that space also for myself when I need to "get away." I highly recommend a space for yourself.

It's been a long rough week. My freshmen college students are still adjusting to college. We've also had pc problems most of this week. I'm just so thankful during times like this to have a list to read and try to work off of now, little by little. Something is better than nothing. If this pandemic has taught me anything it's that family is more important than ever and the small stuff doesn't matter. All will be well.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Weather has not been nice so we never got to the windows. Oh well, they aren’t going any where. Will do a quick tidy up this weekend, my cousin is coming for a day of crating Monday. Other than my cards I didn’t get anything on list done.

We all need our own space! I am finding that I need time to pull my self together mentally more and more lately.

Cindy, I boxed all the paper work up from my parents (lots of boxes) after every thing was settled and put it in the closet. It was about a year later before I could face sorting through everything. It’s is definitely exhausting and painful to deal with.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Holiday Mom -- I think the big thing that hit me was the weather turning because I used my outdoor space too. We enjoyed our garden SO much over the summer and now it is cold and wet. We all agree we are going to have to do something with the outdoor space to make this shutdown work over the winter.

Myron's Mom -- I need to get a bunch of banker's boxes today to remove the last round of taxes. Nearing the end of the estate stuff and hopefully most of it will be done with 2020 -- along with the rest of the burden this year has brought us all. Fingers crossed anyway. Oh wait. My husband's Dad is 95. Oh no. More vitamins for him. (He's actually still sharper than all of us!)

And I didn't get my windows washed either! Adding to list.

Got the generator ordered but may still cancel and go with a full service outfit as it doesn't help to get a generator if you can't find someone to install it. The one we are after is back ordered for months. Considering going to Costco and getting a smaller one to hold us over. Then I can just sell that one later. Need to make a move on this but am freaking out about all the money going out the door!

The teens and I took advantage of a sun break (that's what we call a sunny day in the Pacific Northwest) and cleaned out the garage yesterday to start its transition to a secondary shelter for leisure use and hangouts on rainy days in winter. And possibly a Covid space if we need one? Problem is no bathroom. Sigh. SO much got done yesterday afternoon though. Got the visual of what we want to do with the space and now just need to keep working toward it. Wrapped it up with loading all the donations in the back of my car. And trash and recycling goes out TONIGHT.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
cleaned out the garage yesterday to start its transition to a secondary shelter for leisure use and hangouts on rainy days in winter.
Ooohhh... That's an interesting concept... Hmmm... We'd move the cars out to use but we would still have to wear coats, hats, and gloves. Our garage is not insulated and the weather is usually in the 30's-40's. It would be a space though.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I AM going to buy some new down throw pillows and am looking for a place to start buying the covers. That may be Pottery Barn also but it seems to me I've read about a company that has better pillows for a better price. It might be Restoration Hardware.
I have found some very reasonably priced pillow covers on Amazon. I have also found good feather throw pillows at Good Will that are cheap. I throw them in the washer on a good hot wash and into the dryer, put the new pillow covers on them and...voila...new pillows at a much lower price.

Of course, with all the stress of daily life, you may not have time to do that for this season in your life, but for future reference...