2021 Christmas tree themes and colors

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Looks to me they pick two main colors along with one or two accent colors. And cover the tree completely.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Yes, that is exactly what I thought as well. They end up not looking really like Christmas trees, while some are very pretty they’re not my idea of what I’d like my tree to look like.

Reactions: HouseElf

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Definitely a lot going on on those trees. I can't afford to change my these yearly. For us the main tree of full of family ornaments. I think it could use some fillers I think. I do have some smaller ones that may be a color theme.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Some of them are really pretty (and I bet expensive too!). I see those trees and think wouldn’t it be nice to have such a stunning tree. But we love our old cracked, tarnished, much loved and well used ornaments. They all have some kind of Christmas memory. I guess I’m happy with my “warm and fuzzy” trees that we have in our home.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Gosh, I never really thought people decorated that way. I thought it was rather a way to showcase the trees, ornaments and ribbon that the stores want to sell.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
These are very pretty. But I love my tree. It is just a big old family tree full of memories and is very personal to us.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I'd just purchased a brand new Christmas tree the week before the hurricanes and had not yet put it into the storage room where the rest of my Christmas stuff was. That new tree is all that was saved of my 42 years of collecting Christmas items. Well, new beginnings will certainly include Christmas. I love to change things up from year to year but it's important to have a good foundation to work with. I'm realizing that instead of having 28 large totes of hundreds of various colored ornaments I need to keep white lights, key beautiful neutral pieces and do the rest using patterned colored ribbons and fillers. It will be alot easier to store and still give me the changes I need each year. Since my walls, furniture and floors are all cool neutrals it will be easy to incorporate everything from pastels to bold primaries. My big thing before setting this new tree up is to find a fantastic base to set the tree in instead of the traditional skirts that stay crinkled and look messy when one present is moved. Color and style is strictly a personal preference and none more beautiful than the ones that perfectly fit the family and home it's in. Don't stress over the "color of the year" or "style" that doesn't fit you or your home. This is your Christmas and it needs to reflect you, not some storefront window or magazine cover. Do you and it will always be perfect.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've always thought the trees in stores like that are so pretty - but ultimately they lack the charm of what you do in your own house. The memories, the handmade ornaments, photo ornaments etc.

That being said - it's major eye candy and sometimes you can spark ideas - maybe ways to use things you already have in different ways. Instead of using ALL the colors of bulbs, maybe only 2 colors, or something like that.

Now that our downstairs area is finished I do plan to put up a tree down there and it will most like end up being some sort of theme - just haven't decided yet! I used to do a tree out in the sunroom too (just off downstairs living room) - which was all copper and woodsy themed ornaments. Miss those days! The sunroom is no closer to being finished - maybe next year? sigh.

I've been toying with the idea of doing copper and bar themed ornaments for the tree in the living room downstairs because it will be setup right next to the bar DH built. He used wine corks inside the resin poured into the bar top and I was thinking ornaments made out of cork would be fairly easily to DIY (I'm looking at you, glue gun!) and could be super cute! I've been training for this (i.e. saving Pins!!!) for years! :D

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I had a co-worker with a 'designer tree' and I think it likely she changes it up as trends change.

My tree has changed as my boys aged. Now that they are adults I don't need to accommodate for them redecorating the tree daily or it crashing as they included it into their play. The ornaments now are glass and were picked out primarily by me the last decade just because I liked them; it has a loose theme of backyard birds/nature.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
The ornaments I love the most on my tree each year are the things my children made in elementary school (they are in their 30s & 40s now) & handmade ornaments from friends/family.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My goodness that rocking horse is cute.