2021 - HHP - Week 1 - Planning and Paperwork

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hello, Friends!

Welcome back to those who have been here before. :)

To those who are joining us for the first time, welcome. :) Each week we post the link to the assignments. After reading through the list, decide what you want to do this week and post your list here. Check in whenever you can and let us know how it’s going. You’ll find that there are some weeks where you can get more done than other weeks. It’s ok if you can’t get to it. Just getting something done earlier will free up some time closer to Christmas.

Christmas 2021 is less than 4 months away! Let’s get started!

Planning and Paperwork

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
  • Make the promise. ✅
  • Set up a Christmas notebook.✅
  • Focus family values.✅
  • Create a Christmas activity center.✅
  • Establish a holiday budget.✅
  • Begin a Master Gift List.✅
  • Working on culling and organizing office. I will do it little by little this week.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Here we go!! So excited for the plan this year!!

HOUSEHOLD CHECKLIST:
* declutter desk & paper areas :)

HOLIDAY PREP CHECKLIST:
* set up notebook on phone :)
*establish holiday budget :)
*begin a master gift list :)

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hi Laurie and Mel! <wave> :)

I'm ready to focus on things that I can somewhat control like getting the house clean and organized!

This Week's Household Checklist

• Declutter and clean the computer area and drawers. This is a real mess this year.
  • Put away the 2020-2021 school year paperwork. I discovered a bunch of things that I didn’t put away yet. :rolleyes:

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Calendar Planning. Still figuring out a weekly time and date for holiday prepping.
  • Set up a Christmas notebook. I’m going to try a hybrid of a notebook and keeping things updated in a spreadsheet. I like being offline and dreaming with pen and paper and yet, I like the idea of having access to shopping lists/ideas on the mobile while at the stores.
  • What’s Important this year? I did talk to the family about this earlier in August. I need to get the list into the binder.
  • Create a Christmas activity center. I have two picnic baskets that I use. One has cards, stamps, pens and addresses. The other one needs to be replenished with hot chocolate, tea, a Christmas scented candle, dark chocolate and very nice store bought cookies.
  • Figure out the gift budget.
  • Work on the Master Gift List and a Stocking Stuffer list.

Last edited:

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
This is my most favorite plan of all however this year it will have to be greatly modified due to our living/rebuilding situation. Of course, as fate would have it we are currently under another evacuation order due to Hurricane Ida. Thankfully we have not seen bad impacts as it continued to shift east. I will do what I can but most importantly I'll be the biggest cheerleader for the rest of you.

Set up 2021 Christmas Notebook in Evernote so that I can have it on my computer, tablet and phone for easier access to information and ideas.
Master Gift List - I've done 99% of my shopping but I do need to get a written list so I don't forget what I bought after they are wrapped.
Front porch - I have none so that's easy. LOL
I do need to maintain my desk area.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
Set up a Christmas notebook.
I’m going to try a hybrid of a notebook and keeping things updated in a spreadsheet. I like being offline and dreaming with pen and paper and yet, I like the idea of having access to shopping lists/ideas on the mobile while at the stores.
I also use the hybrid method: I have an app for my Christmas budget and gift buying, I use my hardcopy note book for following the plan, Christmas recipes, brain dump, ideas and decor. For groceries, baking and online buying I use my notes app on my phone. I also take photos of the various lists that I have in my hardcopy notebook and put in my notes app as well. All filed under Christmas easy peasy to set up and find. Love Christmas!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Hi, everyone.

I don't really have room for a filing cabinet, but I would like some sort of filing capability. I don't want paper boxes (have used those in the past and hate them), but would prefer something more decorative looking. Anyone out there have a favorite that has been durable and lasting?

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This is my most favorite plan of all however this year it will have to be greatly modified due to our living/rebuilding situation. Of course, as fate would have it we are currently under another evacuation order due to Hurricane Ida. Thankfully we have not seen bad impacts as it continued to shift east. I will do what I can but most importantly I'll be the biggest cheerleader for the rest of you.

Set up 2021 Christmas Notebook in Evernote so that I can have it on my computer, tablet and phone for easier access to information and ideas.
Master Gift List - I've done 99% of my shopping but I do need to get a written list so I don't forget what I bought after they are wrapped.
Front porch - I have none so that's easy. LOL
I do need to maintain my desk area.
So glad to see you here, Ellen! I'm right there with you as far as remembering what gifts I have and making sure they are wrapped. :)
I also take photos of the various lists that I have in my hardcopy notebook and put in my notes app as well.
That's a great idea.
Anyone out there have a favorite that has been durable and lasting?
I remember watching a decorating show called "Interior Motives" with Christopher Lowell. He converted a hope chest into a filing cabinet. I thought it was brillant! He took the hanging file frames and placed them into the chest.

I have used this style of mobile file box for my teaching files as well as this style of file folder tote. They have served me well. I really like the one that Jody shared. It makes me want to file more papers. :D

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I spent some time tonight working on the binder. I decided to cover it with denim that I've saved from my old jeans and some old Christmas material. I've never done anything like that before so it was a fun experimental craft project. The online spreadsheet is set up as well.

I think I will do the holiday prep part on Sundays with Thursday nights as my back up night. The house checklist will get done during the weeknights with Saturday as my back up day. Whatever doesn't get done, gets carried over to the next week or until it gets done.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This week was a rough week. Our area was hit hard with flooding from Ida. I didn't get to the household list as I hoped. I'll add that to next week's list now.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hi everyone! This is my first time checking in this season and I'm so happy to see all of you! Warms my heart! :). And goodness, those that are dealing with Ida I am praying for ya! Cuz: Wow that was something! I will do some reading up and see where everyone is at in their life. I was actually thinking we started this coming week so I'm a little late but I've been thinking ahead on Christmas so I'm probably still on track. Just got the kids out the door on their respective planes back to college and my youngest is in high school which just started up. This Christmas will be a bit different as I don't expect DD to be home as she is studying abroad this year. So that will change things up. *sniff* I've been keeping track of things as I hear mention of them so I do have a start on my list. I will not pull the trigger on any big purchases til closer to Black Friday. I've been burned too many times with people changing their minds! I do have little items tucked away in the Christmas Closet (attic) though and will need to go look at what all is there. Paper and Planning is where I'm at right now. I may need to paint my office once I declutter the files. Just to shake things up.

Also I LOVE Christopher Lowell. Didn't know he was on Youtube! That man is brilliant!

And MissJane -- I was trying to keep track of a project last year and I didn't want to start a new filing cabinet or another basket. Instead I got this so I could tuck it in a dresser drawer near my bed. Worked great!

Pendaflex Portable Desktop File, Side Handles, Hanging File Folders, Tabs & Inserts, Letter Size, 9-1/2 x 12-3/16 x 6 Inches, Black (23013)
by Amazon.com

Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012VIJGS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_M9WFH5QN4PE7N590FWAV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hi everyone! This is my first time checking in this season and I'm so happy to see all of you! Warms my heart! :). And goodness, those that are dealing with Ida I am praying for ya! Cuz: Wow that was something! I will do some reading up and see where everyone is at in their life. I was actually thinking we started this coming week so I'm a little late but I've been thinking ahead on Christmas so I'm probably still on track. Just got the kids out the door on their respective planes back to college and my youngest is in high school which just started up. This Christmas will be a bit different as I don't expect DD to be home as she is studying abroad this year. So that will change things up. *sniff* I've been keeping track of things as I hear mention of them so I do have a start on my list. I will not pull the trigger on any big purchases til closer to Black Friday. I've been burned too many times with people changing their minds! I do have little items tucked away in the Christmas Closet (attic) though and will need to go look at what all is there. Paper and Planning is where I'm at right now. I may need to paint my office once I declutter the files. Just to shake things up.

Also I LOVE Christopher Lowell. Didn't know he was on Youtube! That man is brilliant!

And MissJane -- I was trying to keep track of a project last year and I didn't want to start a new filing cabinet or another basket. Instead I got this so I could tuck it in a dresser drawer near my bed. Worked great!

Pendaflex Portable Desktop File, Side Handles, Hanging File Folders, Tabs & Inserts, Letter Size, 9-1/2 x 12-3/16 x 6 Inches, Black (23013)
by Amazon.com

Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012VIJGS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_M9WFH5QN4PE7N590FWAV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Great to see you here again! :) I, too, thought it started this week and then 2.5 weeks ago found out it started last week. My oldest graduated in May, started a new job in June and moved out in July. My middle three are in college. They are all moved into their college apartments. My youngest just started high school. This year has a completely different feel since none are doing virtual classes this year. Dh and I are still working from home for the foreseeable future.