2022 Healthy Living (February 6 – 12 week's review)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
My week in review:

Exercise:

• Sunday ~ Ski Whitefish
  • Monday ~ Ski Whitefish
  • Tuesday ~ Ski Whitefish plus .3 mi. walk in the snow at the lake
  • Wednesday ~ Windsor Pilates
  • Thursday ~ 2.5 mi. walk; 3 sets of PT shoulder exercises
  • Friday ~ Ski conditioning YouTube video; 3 sets PT shoulder exercises
  • Saturday ~ Great Buns & Thighs
Healthy eating: Still working on it, but need more self-control, which has been a recurring theme so far this year.

Week’s weight: up/down/maintain: +.02 (BMI=23.8)

Mental/Emotional: What did you do for yourself this week? Skiing outdoors was fabulous! Add in some invigorating walks, and I’m feeling good. I should have gotten outdoors today, though. I’ll have another chance today…sunshine predicted, and DH is smoking a brisket! The smell will drive me nuts!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Looks good @DahliaDoll !! I did .... sort of ok ... haven't exercised since last Wednesday's walk on my friend's farm. :rolleyes: But I have kept moving with chores and such. Friday, after shopping at Aldi's and then four hours of food prep ... I was tired ... that was my exercise for the day. LOL But I am sticking to Intermittent Fasting, less sugar, drinking water, me time (coloring, reading).

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Making progress, moving forward, that's all that counts (for me, anyway). Down 8.5 lbs. since Jan. 1. Was supposed to walk with my friend on Monday, but I was running a fever -- non-Covid, I suspect the start of a sinus infection, so I backed out on her. We did go on Friday morning and walked at a moderate pace for an hour. I didn't track distance, but it was over 4900 steps. The last time I walked this track, I just wore my everyday gym shoes (Sketchers no-tie slip on) and they kept catching on the track surface, so this time I wore my "good" walking/running Brooks. Not sure if it was the difference in shoes (better support) or the distance we walked, but I felt it all afternoon and into yesterday, in my mid-back and hips. Guess that shows just how out-of-shape I really am! We're walking again on Monday morning, and I'm going to suggest we also walk on Friday, if she's available. Since she works a volunteer slot on Weds., I'll ask another friend about walking mid-week. If she can't join me, I'm planning on walking regardless, even if it's by myself. Water intake is still an issue, but I'm working on it and I'm drinking more than I previously has been. It's a start, making progress.

Reactions: luludou and jampss

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Exercise - I got in 6 days of exercise. I spent a total of 3 hours exercising.

Healthy Eating - I am doing fine over all: plain oatmeal with spices for breakfast; Non-Fat Greek Yogurt with spices for lunch (salad/soup if still hungry); flaxseed and chia seed pudding with spices for afternoon snack and protein/vegetables for dinner; I will add in some fruits to my oatmeal or yogurt at some point.

Using the FitBit App for counting calories in/out has made me realize that I either eat less food or I exercise more. Right now, I'm working on eating less food until I can figure out what else to give up for more time exercising and where to fit it into my day.

I got my bloodwork done on Friday. My fasting glucose levels were in the normal range. My AC1 levels were the lowest they've been in 5 years! This is huge because diabetes runs in the family. The only carbs I've been eating are oatmeal and occasionally bread or saltines with dinner. I've cut sugar from my coffee. I switched out soda/beer for seltzer. I do allow myself the freedom to eat sweets, drink soda/beer, etc. on the weekends. It helps me not feel like I'm in a "Woe is me..." moment all the time. In fact, I've found that because I do allow myself that opportunity, I'm not thinking about the food I'm missing all the time. I also have discovered that I can't handle the taste of sugary foods as much.

My cholesterol numbers went down but not as much as I was hoping considering that I've made some drastic changes to my diet like eating non-fat dairy, cutting out egg dishes, using flax eggs, eating beef once a week, and adding in more plant-based proteins. I think if I could manage to exercise 60 minutes a day, I might get those numbers down more. Just am not sure what to remove from my daily life now to get that extra time.

Mental Health - I caught myself focusing on one number that went up on my blood work instead of celebrating all the other numbers that went down. The hard work paid off and I will keep it up. Journaling has been helpful with addressing stress and anxiety that I have not been able to name. Once I can name it, write it and deal with it, it all goes away. For two years, I've been avoiding something because of a perception of a situation. Once I realized it through journaling, I faced it, changed the perspective, and now I see no need to avoid it at all. In fact, I am looking at it now seeing how silly it really was to avoid it for so long. I would have been better off dealing with it then and there. These are good lessons to take with me in the future.

Dahlia Doll, Jampss and Lori - Keep up the good work!

Lori - If your neighborhood isn't super busy where hearing your surroundings is important, then maybe you can walk alone while listening to an audio book or podcast on your phone. I like to do that on my morning walks when it isn't below freezing.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lori - If your neighborhood isn't super busy where hearing your surroundings is important, then maybe you can walk alone while listening to an audio book or podcast on your phone. I like to do that on my morning walks when it isn't below freezing.
We're in the throws of winter, and it's been snowing a lot. Although we were up near 40 mid-week, there's still 6" of snow on the ground and huge piles from the plows and snowblowers. And, where it's melted over the sidewalks, it's re-frozen and is exceptionally slippery. Hence, we've switched to walking indoors on a track at our old health and fitness center (no membership or residency requirement, which is good for my friend; she's in a different town). It's a great facility and I'll definitely walk there by myself with my iPhone music, if I can't find a walking partner. Once the icy sidewalks are gone, we have lots of hard-surface nature trails for walking -- and it's very safe here. If I'm on the trails, pup is with me if I'm walking alone.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Hi all! My last week was good.
Exercise- Did 5 days. Got up 4 days before work and yesterday took a nice walk.
Water- This is my 2nd week in a row of getting a gallon a day every single day.
Food- Tracking everything. On Friday, I had plans to go to lunch with 2 cw's. I had picked out what I was going to order. They switched restaurants to one that is known for hot dogs and everything fried.
I went and met them but did not eat. I did get a diet soda. It's about the company anyway, right?!
I felt proud of that decision. And thought, "Maybe, just maybe, I may be changing who I am." I want to identify-to my own self- as a healthy and fit person.

I noticed this weekend I did not have anything planned for lunches. Yesterday I went and got a Subway turkey sandwich loaded with veggies. A healthy choice but I should be better at planning some things to have on hand for weekend, easy lunches.
The "old" me would just go out and grab something (fast food) for lunches on the weekends.

Mental/Emotional- Having some stress and anxiety with work. I think this is mostly due to the fact that I'm leaving on vacation in 2 weeks and the projects just keep piling on.
My rest and relaxation at home is the best it has been in years. I've just been coming home and settling in for Olympics.
I want to make sure my rest is GOOD prior to leaving for vacation. And I am very mindful about this.

Holiday_Mom- Why do we always focus on the one negative when the positives outweigh the one negative?

Here's to a great week next week! Proud of each of you!

Annie

Last edited:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Exercise: I did make it to the gym as planned last Monday and Friday, however I didn't go swimming. After a talk with my daughter, she reminded me it's okay to do something different. I really just struggle in the heart of winter getting up that early when it's cold and getting into the cold pool. I was hoping our new rec pool would be a tad warmer, but it's not. Sooooooo I'm going to put that on hold and may add one more day to my gym routine and then do some workouts at home on Tuesday and Thursdays to replace the pool time. I was really happy with myself after those workouts at the gym. Not only was good for me physically, but for my mental health most of all. It's been a long time since my body could do what I want it to do. Don't get me wrong...I use the smallest weights on most of those machines, but I do it!

Healthy eating:
Well I did good Monday through Friday and then splurged over the weekend, starting on Friday. It was sorta planned, but I over did it. Friday we went out for an early valentines dinner and I didn't gorge myself on chinese food and we didn't order the appetizer platter either. That was a win. Normally we start off with soup and then that plate has like 6 types of appetizers, before we even eat our meal. I also looked for an entree that offered lots of veges with the meat. Super bowl sunday was a whole other story. I didn't think twice about the amount of wings I ate or the white queso dip I made. This coming weekend I've got 2 friend dates and food is always included, so I've got to stay on track Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. That's my goal....track, drink my water and keep the calories down!

Week’s weight: Lost the 3 pounds it showed I gained last week, so I'm right back where I was at 196.
Total lost to date: 108
Goal Weight by 7/21: 175

Mental/Emotional: Good, other than I feel like I want to binge, which hasn't been an issue for me in the past couple months. Not sure why, but it's there. I did get out for 3 mental health walks as well and my husband joined me yesterday for one. That was nice. Even though I've done good phsycially, doubt has set in the last couple days as well. I found I'm doubting myself reaching my goal...IN JULY. That's the bad talk sneaking in. I mean...It's FEBRUARY..WHY AM I SAYING I'M GOING TO FAIL!? Sighhh....