2022 Healthy Living

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

How To Prevent Weight Gain During Menopause

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I found that the elliptical helped with toning my arms and tightened the lower belly all at the same time. As long as I have something to watch and focus, I can spend a good amount of time on the elliptical.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm stopping in to say hi. I'm still trekking away over here and honestly trying to find what works best for me. I was doing really good with Weight Watchers last year, but found that the weekly calendar set up was causing some binging I didn't like. I've worked hard the past 5 years to get out of that mind set and putting myself on a weekly point reference was kinda causing havoc. The end of the week would come and I'd want to splurge,but rather than just enjoying myself and moving on I was using the whole day excuse and just eating whatever for the day...or 2 days or the entire weekend and "starting over on Monday". Finally I was like WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!? So I'm going back to just focusing on whole foods at the moment, while I figure out how I'm going to log and journal what I eat each day.
On a positive, exercise is going really good though. I'm uping the weights on all the equipment and adding new things all the time. Recently I started rowing. A couple months ago there was no way I could of done that, but my neck, shoulders and upper back are finally getting stronger and the muscles aren't freaking out every time I do something with them.
Everyone else still trekking along figuring this out?

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Michelle ~ I'm glad you're doing so well on the exercise!

I've been exercising quite regularly, including cardio, stretches, and weights. I did end up taking the last week and a half off since we had DD and family visiting. It's good to have a little break once in a while. I'm back at it again today.

Diet-wise, I'm trying to get back on track again. I haven't really been doing too well on that front all year; and while visitors were here, I didn't even try. I didn't put on too many pounds, though, so I hope I can get my will power back. So far, so good, today anyway.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
HI All,
I wanted to bump this up. I've noticed if I don't "keep my thumb" on my health habits they fall away.
For example, last week one day after a hectic day at work. I pulled into my driveway and thought, "Wow, I feel terrible."
Sat there and thought about it. Well, yeah, for the whole day all I had was black coffee, a small bowl of spaghetti and a pack of almonds.

I went in and made a nice dinner of baked salmon and a salad.

But a reminder to: Eat! And Eat healthy, Move, drink water, get to bed at a decent time.

I need to reel these things in. Especially before the holiday season gets here.

Annie

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Vic and I are giving the Whole 30 another round. We were so successful last time - lost weight, more energy, blood pressure numbers down to where they should be, slept great, all around felt wonderful - but we fell off the wagon big time and it's been so difficult since we've been apart. Vic was better than I was but he ate a lot of rice which he shouldn't. I have existed on sandwiches and pizza.

So, with our limited kitchen facilities - we have a board on top of the cabinet to use as a counter prep area - we have been cooking on the barbecue. I bought disposable half-sheet pans so we've been able to cook/roast/steam red potatoes, asparagus, and green beans as well as sweet potatoes wrapped in foil. For protein, we cooked salmon the first night, had leftovers the second, bunless burgers last night, and I've got chicken thawing out for tonight. We went to Whole Foods on Sunday and bought what we needed - so much fresh fruit in season right now but we have to be careful with that. The goal is to cook double at night so we have lunch for the next day. Can't wait until the kitchen is finished!

Exercise is kind of a no-go right now. I've got a real issue with my balance so walking anywhere alone is not a good idea and by the time we get home, cook dinner, and eat, it's time to go to bed. I'd like an elliptical or a treadmill but we just don't have room for one. I wish I could find the stairclimber I had years ago, it fit perfectly in the corner of the bedroom.

So, we're at Day Four of Whole 30 and feeling strong!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
W30 is great for a reset. I haven't done one since last Jan 2021, I think. Is Day 5 ... "Kill All The Things" day? When we did it, there was a schedule that would tell you what to expect daily. Day 5 was when your body was like, "What are you doing to me? No sugar? No preservatives? No grains?" LOL

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
W30 is great for a reset. I haven't done one since last Jan 2021, I think. Is Day 5 ... "Kill All The Things" day? When we did it, there was a schedule that would tell you what to expect daily. Day 5 was when your body was like, "What are you doing to me? No sugar? No preservatives? No grains?" LOL
OMG, so true! Poor Vic, I literally bit his head off this evening - an innocent remark and I just came unglued. It was definitely my Kill All The Things day!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Pamela, I'm not doing a Whole30 round, but something similar. I need another reboot, so I'm doing the Clean Food Crush 30 day clean eating challenge. I just got all my groceries in order and will start tomorrow. I had to leave WW. I just found myself in a vicious cycle with the calendar. After I weighed in I'd eat tons of food and then the weekend would come and I'd use that as a cheat day. Then I'd beat myself up and finally I said enough was enough. Before WW I was at a point where I just did great day to day and as things came up, I'd adjust and be right back on track without beating myself up.

And Annie, yeah not eating enough is just as bad as eating to much for sure. How is your movement going?

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am being more mindful of what I eat. This week I stopped drinking the lemonade and sweeten ice tea and am only drinking water. I do find that the increased water does help with hunger issue. I really think I eat because I am bored. Between the HGP prep and starting it I find I am not bored. I find it hard to start a project because it overwhelms so I don't and then get bored. I have to learn to break it down into smaller steps and that gets me moving and then I am all in not bored or hungry.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Whew! I did my stretching and walking YT videos for the first time in awhile. :p I also weighed … yup … up 13 pounds since January.:rolleyes:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Whew! I did my stretching and walking YT videos for the first time in awhile. :p I also weighed … yup … up 13 pounds since January.:rolleyes:
I am up by about 8 kilos since the beginning of the year. Not sure how to reel it in. Need to find the inspiration to get back to basics and start again. I know that I can do it, I just don't know how to maintain it.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yeah. I'm with ya on that.

Well, I surprised myself and did my stretch/walking video again this morning! Wait???!!! What???!!! LOL

I know, right! Amazing! Ha

For me, I feel like eating too much bread/wheat items packs on my middle ... soooooooo, will I have the will power to curb that?? Also, if I would eat more at lunch than I do at dinner, might help.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I have gotten back into walking with doing the Pat Tillman 42 miles in 40 days challenge.

This is one thing I know- Exercise, for me, is a game changer! It is an: antidepressant and motivator.
So, why do I let it slip away? This is one habit I need to keep at all times.

I find if I do not track these health habits at ALL times, they just fall away.
So, I made a list of the habits- movement, water, healthy eating, good bedtime and I'm going to
"checkmark" the days I complete each of them.

Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Well for obvious reasons things got put on hold and the last months been rough. I've gained about 7 pounds, but I've been up and down 5 for a bit. I will say though, it's amazing once you've gotten down to a certain weight how just 5 pounds feels so different. My goal during my surgery recovery is to just eat in moderation. I have a ton of people bringing in food, so I won't have control of what I eat necessarily, but I can control portions and not over do it. I did specifically ask that no desserts be brought with my dinners. If they are here, I will eat them, so NO!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Well for obvious reasons things got put on hold and the last months been rough. I've gained about 7 pounds, but I've been up and down 5 for a bit. I will say though, it's amazing once you've gotten down to a certain weight how just 5 pounds feels so different. My goal during my surgery recovery is to just eat in moderation. I have a ton of people bringing in food, so I won't have control of what I eat necessarily, but I can control portions and not over do it. I did specifically ask that no desserts be brought with my dinners. If they are here, I will eat them, so NO!!!
Those dinners will come in so handy. After my surgery our church arranged for everyone to bring us dinners. It really helped. After 41 years I am still Thankful for their kindness.