2022 - HHP - Week 12 - Dining Space

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Week 1 - Planning and Paperwork
Week 2 - Calendar and Creativity
Week 3 - Me & Mine
Week 4 - Close to Home
Week 5 - House Room
Week 6 - Wardrobe
Week 7 - Bed & Bath
Week 8 - Family Space
Week 9 - Public Space
Week 10 - Cooking Space
Week 11 - Food Storage
Week 12 - Dining Space
Week 13 - Entryway
Week 14 - Storage
Week 15 - Final Clean
Week 16 - Nearly There
Week 17 - Celebration
Week 18 - New Year’s

[While this week is geared for those hosting the American Thanksgiving, I think it also works well for those who host during the Christmas season.]

This Week's Focus: Dining Space
On Thanksgiving, we gather family and friends to express our gratitude for the many blessings of this life, and the heart of the celebration lies around the dining room table. This week, we'll prepare the dining room or dining area to host the feast.

Final preparations for Thanksgiving include mapping out a strategy for Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping. If we're giving a holiday party, now's the time to start planning.

This Week's Household Checklist
  • Dive into the dining area. With next week's feast taking center stage, prepare a worthy dining area for your holiday celebration. Declutter and deep-clean the dining room or dining area this week.
  • Get set for the Thanksgiving feast. Once the dining room is clean and free from clutter, prepare for Thanksgiving dinner. Polish fine furniture, tidy any storage areas, and if needed, add extra leaves to the dining room table. Set the stage for a lovely holiday meal!

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Firm up plans for Thanksgiving Day. Plan table settings, seating and a centerpiece for Thanksgiving Day. Check the menu plan, and start thinking about a timeline for meal preparation.
  • Finalize the Thanksgiving menu. Check in with family members, delegate dishes, and be ready to celebrate.
  • Start a Black Friday Sales game plan. Online bargain sites and e-mail alerts allow Web-savvy shoppers to spot the best deals days before Black Friday. Make entries in your holiday sales planner and plan next week's shopping strategy as information comes to light.
  • Plan holiday parties. If you'll entertain next month, make plans now. You'll be prepared to issue invitations and check calendars with family and friends during next week's Thanksgiving celebration.
What are you planning to do this week?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'll have to really buckle down on saying no to doing extra things for or with people. I've been slipping lately. It's probably me overcompensating for the time that I wasn't available in the spring and summer. I often feel sorry for the predicament they are in and get sucked into the drama. I just can't do it this week. Next week will be busy with my older four coming home for Thanksgiving. I want to spend the time with them and not getting caught up on my list to do just because I didn't say no to others. Of course, there are things that my young adults will help with but these are "mom-specific" tasks like finalizing the menu, shopping list, and the Black Friday shopping plan that I need to do.

Household Checklist
  • Declutter and deep clean the dining room.
  • Polish silver.
  • Set up extra leaves and extra table.
  • Gather extra chairs, table clothes, serving pieces, and necessary cookware.

Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Plan table settings, seating and a centerpiece for Thanksgiving Day.
  • Print off Thanksgiving Preparation Timeline.
  • Finalize the Thanksgiving menu.
  • Update shopping list.
  • Start a Black Friday Sales game plan.
  • Plan holiday parties.

Still to do
  • Work on Christmas cards.
  • Make extra meals for December.
  • Organize the recipe book.
  • Plan holiday baking.
  • Bake Christmas cake if time permits.

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
HOUSEHOLD CHECKLIST:
this is a bonus week for me, will catch up on anything I have missed so far

HOLIDAY PREP CHECKLIST:
finish Christmas cards - done
update gift lists - done

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
This week I need to start working on cards and my advent calendar. Finished the decorating and all boxes are put away. I need to plan christmas weekend too.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
It was another week of getting things done but not necessarily the things that I wanted to do in the order that I wanted to do. The extra work load has been throwing me off.

Reactions: happy2bme

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I am happy to say that my Christmas shopping is done!!

I was updating gift lists on Friday night and realized that what was left to buy was a bunch of odds and ends that had to be purchased at different places. So, I went into the city early Saturday morning and bought what was needed.

I always try to be done my shopping by December 1st, so being done on November 19th, makes me very happy!!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Happy2beMe -- You are done! High five! Someday I hope to be like you! I haven't even started the serious shopping yet since the kids won't get me their lists til this coming week. Their deadline is Black Friday.

I'm still running about a week behind here. And then I had a crazy thought hit me this week while trying to choose ornaments for the Christmas Tree to replace the ones that broke last year (just the continuity ornaments for color). I struggled and struggled and then woke up this week and decided: It's the paint. That's what is wrong. And so just like that I decided we are painting the living room! Like right now. Hubby was like: What?!

I have been staring at paint swatches for the last 2 years trying to decide what I want to do in there. And just like that-- it took the Christmas Tree ornaments for me to decide. Oh my gosh! It's just a few of us for Thanksgiving so it will be okay if it is not quite done. I cut back the menu to just the basics and ordered a pre-roasted Turkey (SOOO much easier!). And man, I'm ALL in on this! Very excited I've finally made the decision. What a pain it will be. We will be doing it ourselves. :). High ceilings. One wall is done and it looks GOOD! We have a few more weeks til our kids are home from college so I'm motivated. Tree will get bumped a week. It normally goes up Thanksgiving Weekend. Not this year. Very excited! (It's nice to be able to decide this for ME, not for others). I'm giving myself my house for my Christmas present.

Dining Space Week:
  • Plan for Thanksgiving Day. Plan table and a centerpiece for Thanksgiving Day. -- Done.
  • Set up a Black Friday Sales game plan. -- Working on it today.
  • Double up on freezer-friendly dishes. I need to ramp up.
  • This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist:
  • Cross check kids' plans for holiday events. -- Done.
  • Print the candy shopping list and cookie baking ingredient shopping list.
  • Print cookie recipes to start prepping Thanksgiving Weekend. -- Printed. Done.
  • Christmas Tree -- last minute supply check for replacements. -- I think I have it all. Think I'm ready.