2022 - HHP - Week 16 - Nearly There

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Week 1 - Planning and Paperwork
Week 2 - Calendar and Creativity
Week 3 - Me & Mine
Week 4 - Close to Home
Week 5 - House Room
Week 6 - Wardrobe
Week 7 - Bed & Bath
Week 8 - Family Space
Week 9 - Public Space
Week 10 - Cooking Space
Week 11 - Food Storage
Week 12 - Dining Space
Week 13 - Entryway
Week 14 - Storage
Week 15 - Final Clean
Week 16 - Nearly There
Week 17 - Celebration
Week 18 - New Year’s

This Week's Focus: Nearly There
With the season nearly upon us, it's time to rely on minimum maintenance to keep the house up to snuff during busy times.

This Week's Household Checklist
  • Make a minimum maintenance plan. It's the organized solution for busy times: a rock-bottom chore checklist of must-do household chores. Does your household have one? Create a minimum maintenance checklist and post it publicly.
  • Delegate chores to family members. Encourage family members to pitch in and share the work. Delegate, delegate, delegate--to keep a clean and organized home throughout the Christmas season and around the year.

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Decorate and wrap baked goods. Finish holiday baking this week. Ice the sugar cookies, assemble the goodie trays and wrap for giving. Stowed away in the freezer, they're a quick solution to the "emergency gift" problem.
  • Record a special holiday message for the answering machine. Whether you sing a carol as a family, or record a message from "Santa", share the season with callers with a custom message!
  • Start or add to an ornament journal. Many families give children collections of holiday ornaments; add meaning to the gift with a simple journal page recording who-what-where of each ornament.
  • Make a Christmas morning basket. Think ahead: what will you need when opening gifts on Christmas morning? Include a notepad, pen, scissors, box cutter and plastic garbage bags. Throw in a pair of pliers and some wire cutters to release those pesky over-packaged toys. Set aside in a pretty basket to cut chaos on Christmas morning.
  • Help children write letters to Santa. (And keep them! Misspellings and all, you'll treasure them in later years).
  • Start a holiday journal. A simple holiday journal page in your Christmas planner can mean the difference between a memory treasured and a memory lost. Record the season's high points as they happen!
What are you planning this week?

Reactions: jampss

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
It's another busy week with Christmas concert preparations Monday-Wednesday and then the concert on Thursday. I'll be using any time I can find to work on things this week.

This Week's Household Checklist
  • Keep up with household cleaning.
This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Bake cookies and decorate them.
  • Make ornaments.
  • Prep gifts for service people.
  • Finish wrapping work gifts for Tuesday.
  • Send out Christmas Cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: happy2bme

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
HOUSEHOLD CHECKLIST:
make minimum maintenance plan - done

HOLIDAY PREP CHECKLIST:
finish baking - done
purchase large gift bag - done
get gifts ready for massage therapist & hairdresser - done

Last edited:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Quick update -
Living room is painted as of 2 days ago. Kid 1 flew in that night. Tree and lights just went up. Tree decor eating for Kid 2 who flies in tonight. Most gifts are purchased. Scrambling for last minute groceries and smaller things cuz snow is going to shut us down starting Sunday. I've already lost a week earlier this month due to snow. What a weird year this is! But I'm calm. Back later to see how the rest of you are doing. Good luck all!!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
It really helps having Christmas on Sunday this year. I keep thinking I have less time than I do. I am peaceful with where I am and what I have left to do. As I'm writing a bunch of things are coming to mind that I better write here before I forget:

Still to do:
  • Some gifts ordered a few weeks ago are still sitting in facilities waiting to be picked up by the post office. I got a notification that another gift that was back ordered was being prepped to send today. Those gifts will be wrapped when they arrive.
  • There are some gifts that I picked up last week that I haven't had a chance to wrap that need to be done.
  • I have a gift bag for a co-worker that needs to be dropped off. I need to plan a day and time to do that.
  • A cemetery visit was promised. I need to plan a day and time for that too.
  • I need to prep the cookie tray and gift bags for the Saturday Christmas party.
  • There is talk about a possible snow storm on the East Coast at the end of next week. I will be paying attention to that. If that is the case, then I need to
    • review recipes for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day,
    • double check on ingredients
    • buy the ingredients early in the week.
By this point of the month, I tend to focus on me and what I want to get done for me. This has helped me immensely with dealing with feelings of resentment of doing for others all the time.
  • I need to finish up the cards this weekend.
  • I have fresh greens from our yard that I'd like to get arranged.
  • There are two baked goods that I would like to do yet. If not this weekend, then during the week they'll get done. They are favorites of mine and also time consuming, but they make me happy.

Reactions: happy2bme

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
.........It really helps having Christmas on Sunday this year. I keep thinking I have less time than I do. I am peaceful with where I am and what I have left to do. .....

.........By this point of the month, I tend to focus on me and what I want to get done for me. This has helped me immensely with dealing with feelings of resentment of doing for others all the time. .......

I'm on a similar train of thought .... glad Christmas is on Sunday, it is giving me a bit of cushion. Also agree with your comment on self-care. I have learned to take care of "me" too rather than trusting others to do it for me. I think doing that allows me to be a calmer and better person.