2022 - HHP - Week 5 - House Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Week 1 - Planning and Paperwork
Week 2 - Calendar and Creativity
Week 3 - Me & Mine
Week 4 - Close to Home
Week 5 - House Room
Week 6 - Wardrobe
Week 7 - Bed & Bath
Week 8 - Family Space
Week 9 - Public Space
Week 10 - Cooking Space
Week 11 - Food Storage
Week 12 - Dining Space
Week 13 - Entryway
Week 14 - Storage
Week 15 - Final Clean
Week 16 - Nearly There
Week 17 - Celebration
Week 18 - New Year’s

This Week's Focus:
Guest Room or Bonus Room
Making ready for guests this year? Whether your home includes a designated guest room, or you bed down visitors in a multi-use area, it's time to prepare for holiday house guests.

This week, we'll check on all the items we need to extend hospitality, and clean and organize any areas devoted to visitors. As we go, we'll consider what makes a welcoming home, and find ways to make our guests feel cherished and comfortable.

In holiday prep, we'll begin thinking about holiday decorations, make a first-of-the-month status check, and begin decorating for Autumn. Try these resources to jump start your holiday home:

This Week's Household Checklist:

• Declutter, clean and organize guest areas. Whether your household has a dedicated guest room or a simple fold-out sofa bed, declutter, organize and clean the area you use to host guests.
  • No guest room or guest space? Take a bonus week, tackling another area of the household or catching up on earlier assignments.

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist:

• Status Check! Review the progress of the House & Holidays Plan on the first day of the month. If you're falling behind, adjust goals to a more realistic level.
  • Begin planning holiday decorating. Check magazines, library books and the Web for décor inspiration. Use a room-by-room décor planner to coordinate décor plans.
  • Inventory holiday decorations. Make a quick inspection and determine what you have to work with. Will you need to replace or upgrade décor items this year? Make a note on the décor inventory form
  • Declutter before you decorate for autumn. Do your visual field a favor with a quick decor declutter. A clean sweep now makes holiday decorations all the more impressive!
  • Decorate for autumn. Choose "generic" décor items. Nearer to Halloween, add a few Halloween items which can be removed easily after the holiday. Come November 1, swap them out for Thanksgiving decorations.
  • Schedule house guest stays. Grab calendars and check in with family about travel plans. Will you host house guests this year?
  • Make a guest room "pamper basket". Guests feel welcomed when the guest room or guest area boasts a simple basket of toiletries and personal care supplies. Add a coffeemaker and beverage supplies for a "bed and breakfast" touch.
  • Continue working on Christmas cards. Divide the Christmas card list into five sections. Complete one section this week. Goal: to be finished writing, signing and addressing cards by November 15.

What are you planning to do this week?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm really hoping that nothing else pops up this week that takes away my prep time.

Household Prep

• Catch up on general house hold cleaning

Holiday Prep:
  • Do Status Check.
  • Decorate for autumn.
  • Start working on Christmas cards or letters.
Still to do:
  • Check on Christmas cards, gift wrap, bows, ribbons, Christmas stamps, etc.
  • Order cards and stamps as needed.
  • Start working on decorating gift bags.
  • Find boxes to store gifts.
  • Seasonal Spruce-Up exercise.
  • Make a stocking stuffer list and begin to buy.

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
This will be a Bonus Week for me, I still have some of last week's tasks to complete. I've been busy cleaning up the garden and getting the yard winterized. I did jump ahead to Cooking Space week; Canadian Thanksgiving is in 3 weeks and the stores had baking supplies on sale, so I decided what I'm going to bake this year and made a shopping list. I was able to get everything except two items.

HOLIDAY PREP CHECKLIST:
inventory decorations - done

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Status Check: Septembers are notoriously hard for me to get things done on the HHP. There are always one or two weekends away, back to school happenings and family birthdays. I still like to make the effort to do some things each week. Last year we had hurricane clean up to deal with, but this year we haven't had a hurricane come up the East Coast yet. Long story short, I had rescheduled a walk to next week and I used that freed up time for HHP. That was such a gift to myself. I felt like a weight was lifted and all the unfinished business flying around in my head has been just about finished. I think I like lists/journaling because all of those things to do/things to say that are in my head get released when I write them out. It frees up my brain to think about fun, creative things. I feel less stress too, well, that is, until I see how long the list is. LOL!

Seasonal Spruce up - I like doing this exercise in the summer. I was too busy with classes to do it then. Our house needs some TLC. With dh's ridiculous schedule since March 2020, the base minimum has been done. I do what can to help him out. We are hoping with a new schedule, it will free up his time to help with maintenance. I have some ideas but I doubt they will be done before Thanksgiving. Overall, while I was behind on most things those first couple of weeks, I am caught up to where I'd like to be by slowly working off the still-to-do list.