2022 - HHP - Week 7 - Bed and Bath

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Week 1 - Planning and Paperwork
Week 2 - Calendar and Creativity
Week 3 - Me & Mine
Week 4 - Close to Home
Week 5 - House Room
Week 6 - Wardrobe
Week 7 - Bed & Bath
Week 8 - Family Space
Week 9 - Public Space
Week 10 - Cooking Space
Week 11 - Food Storage
Week 12 - Dining Space
Week 13 - Entryway
Week 14 - Storage
Week 15 - Final Clean
Week 16 - Nearly There
Week 17 - Celebration
Week 18 - New Year’s

This Week's Focus: Linen Closet and Bathrooms

The day before Thanksgiving is no time to discover that your good tablecloth is shredded and stained. This week, we're diving into linen storage areas and tackling family bathrooms as we prepare for Christmas. We'll check linens and clean and organize bathroom areas so we're prepared for holiday primping ... and guests!

In holiday prep, we'll think ahead to what we need to wrap and ship gifts, and continue gift shopping. Try these resources to make the week's assignments fly:

This Week's Household Checklist

• Into the bathrooms to declutter, clean and organize! From the master bathroom to the small half-bath off the hall, this is the week to focus on the household's "facilities". Clear away clutter in each bathroom, then deep-clean fixtures, floors and walls. Organize personal care storage and prepare for entertaining and guests.
  • Light into the linen closet. Linen storage areas can become a catch-all space, so rout them out this week. Return misplaced items to their homes, then organize sheets, blankets and towels to make them easy to find in busy times.

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist

• Make a pre-holiday linen check. As you declutter and organize the linen closet, make a quick linen check. If you need sheets, towels, or blankets, add them to the shopping list now.
  • Start stocking up on bathroom basics. Running out of toilet tissue isn't a major problem--unless it happens during a holiday party. Before the season begins, stock bathrooms with ample supplies to ward off embarrassment.
  • Set up a holiday wrap and mail center. Use an empty closet, corner or an under-bed organizer to gather gift wrap, ribbons, bags, tags and supplies. You'll speed gift wrapping and parcel mailing with supplies all in one place.
  • Simplify mailing chores with an account from USPS.Com. Power to the Postal Service! A free account with USPS.Com makes it easy to buy postage, print labels or arrange for carrier pickup. Better, the USPS will deliver free flat rate mailing boxes to your mailbox, then collect your labeled packages at the door under the Click-n-Ship program. No more waiting in line!
  • Buy, wrap and package overseas gifts for mailing. Next week's mailing deadline means that overseas gifts must be bought, wrapped and packaged for mailing this week. Check gift lists and complete any overseas gifts.
  • Begin shopping holiday bazaars--or swaps. It's bazaar season! Service clubs, church groups and school organizations offer great holiday savings--and a lot of fun--at holiday bazaars. Bazaar season starts in early October; add a few events to your calendar to shop for gifts and decorations. Another frugal source for gifts and decor: holiday swaps. Check your favorite online community for active swaps, where members exchange like items for holiday giving.
  • Continue working on Christmas cards. Divide the Christmas card list into five sections. Complete one section this week. Goal: to be finished writing, signing and addressing cards by November 15.
What do you want to get done this week?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm not sure what will actually get done this week. I have three children coming home for fall break. After loosing time with them over the summer due to my classes, I want to spend as much time as possible with them.

Household Checklist

• Declutter laundry area, front hall closet and mudroom closet.
  • Declutter and organize bathrooms.
.Holiday Checklist
  • Make a pre-holiday linen check.
  • Start stocking up on bathroom basics. I have a list of things to buy but haven't done the shopping yet.
  • Work on Christmas cards.

Last edited:

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
I bought a Christmas themed shower curtain with snowflakes , gingerbread men, trees that came with a red rug.
I have never bought one but thought my grandaughter would like that. Then add a pine cone, fairy light jar with a red ribbon on the vanity ......so , yes......I am even looking forward to deep cleaning the bathroom !!

Thank you Mary for the detailed list and helping us organize!

Laurie
Simplify

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
HOUSEHOLD CHECKLIST:
declutter & organize bathroom - done
wash walls, clean light fixture, clean fan, vacuum & wash floors, replace shower curtain
declutter, clean & organize linen cabinet -
done

HOLIDAY PREP CHECKLIST:
restock bathroom basics - done
restock first aid kit - done
decorate for Halloween - done

Last edited:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Back in town and trying to catch up on the holiday prep. Too many other balls in the air right now. Trying to get baby steps done to at least stay on track. Part of me is blowing things off this year due to the Empty-Nester'ness going on. Totally missed the Columbus Day sales so very bummed about that. Re-read all my notes from last year and apparently I had a lot of thoughts. I'm apparently re-doing my Christmas tree this year based on my thoughts from last year. Will have to get on that as I'm getting new "base" ornaments and ribbons -- this is just to make the tree pop more as I thought it was too dark. We edited out our ornaments last year and kept the ones that truly meant something. I'm glad I write all this stuff down. Changing up our baking too which I'm glad I read cuz I have to start thinking about that. We overbaked last year and really the baked cookies don't taste as good once they are frozen. Soooo.. thinking about all that. Hoping things slow down a bit in a couple weeks. Very scattered right now and not feeling on top of my Christmas game.

HOUSE: Linen Closet and Bathrooms
  • Declutter and organize the linen closet -- Mmm. Well, I'm looking at it. I might purge a few things.
  • Get organized in the bathroom -- In okay shape.
HOLIDAY:
  • Linen Check -- New bed pillows have arrived and just ordered Euro Pillows this morning.
  • Start stocking up on bathroom basics -- Underway. The great TP stock-up. :). Also looking at Flu supplies.
  • Set up a wrapping station. Hubby has all his gear dumped in the middle of this space. }:-/
  • Buy /wrap /package overseas gifts for mailing for Next week's mailing deadline. - Nothing oversea but will be sending out one package so need to find out that specific deadline and get an address.
  • Divide the Christmas card list into five sections. Complete Section 4 this week. Goal: to be all done with cards by November 15. -- I might have to send a letter this year. It's been too long.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I bought a Christmas themed shower curtain with snowflakes , gingerbread men, trees that came with a red rug.
I have never bought one but thought my grandaughter would like that. Then add a pine cone, fairy light jar with a red ribbon on the vanity ......so , yes......I am even looking forward to deep cleaning the bathroom !!

Thank you Mary for the detailed list and helping us organize!

Laurie
Simplify
That sounds so cute, Laurie. You're welcome! It's nice knowing others are slowly making their way through and preparing too.

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
As I thought, with my college students coming home this week, I didn't get much extra done. I do have a list of bathroom and cold/flu supplies to buy. Christmas cards, well, it will get done but just not yet.

I took a look at the closets. They aren't in bad shape. If I let the doors open with company, it wouldn't bother me. I can live with it. The laundry area, on the other hand, will get moved to next weeks list to do.

The bathrooms are decent too. I noticed hard water stains in our toilet that hadn't been there before. I guess the water has changed around here. Dh bought me very fine sand paper to try to get rid of the ring around the toilet. It worked like a charm! Just a little elbow grease with water and the rings are gone. We also had yellow staining that wouldn't come off. Just a little elbow grease on that area and it disappeared. No chemicals were used. It was just water and extra fine grit sandpaper.