20222 - HHP - Week 13 - Entry Space

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Week 1 - Planning and Paperwork
Week 2 - Calendar and Creativity
Week 3 - Me & Mine
Week 4 - Close to Home
Week 5 - House Room
Week 6 - Wardrobe
Week 7 - Bed & Bath
Week 8 - Family Space
Week 9 - Public Space
Week 10 - Cooking Space
Week 11 - Food Storage
Week 12 - Dining Space
Week 13 - Entryway
Week 14 - Storage
Week 15 - Final Clean
Week 16 - Nearly There
Week 17 - Celebration
Week 18 - New Year’s

This Week's Focus: Entry Space
Open the door to a beautiful home this week, as we clean, declutter and organize the entry area and coat closets. Our clean and organized entryway will make a dazzling impression on Thanksgiving guests!

In holiday prep, we'll give thanks as we enter the fullness of the season. After Thursday's celebration, we'll focus on a few holiday prep items and turn the corner toward Christmas. Mailing party invitations early ensures that your event won't be lost in crowded calendars, and Black Friday bargains beckon. For many families, the weekend kicks off holiday decorating.

Ready? It's here!

This Week's Household Checklist
  • Clean and declutter the entryway.. Front porch or foyer, apartment door or entryway, this week's focus is on the entry area of the home. Remove clutter, clean and organize the portal to your household this week. Check the front door, cleaning and polishing knob, knocker and any windows. What's the condition of the welcome mat; is it time for cleaning or replacement? Assess outdoor lighting; clean fixtures and replace any burned-out bulbs.
  • Prepare the entryway for guests. When guests arrive, will you be ready? Declutter doorway storage areas so outdoor shoes, umbrellas or keys find an efficient, attractive home. Make sure there's extra space in the coat closet, and add spare hangers for holiday guests' use. Be ready to open the door to a wonderful holiday season!

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Set the table ahead. Set the Thanksgiving table a day or two before. You'll have time to spot (and fix) tarnished silver or stains on the tablecloth. Use sticky notes to mark serving dishes with the food they'll contain, so it's easy for guests to help.
  • Double up on freezer-friendly dishes. Cooking for the Thanksgiving feast, plan to double or triple amounts for any freezer-friendly dishes, and tuck the extras into the freezer for later use. Candidates include unbaked pies, homemade cranberry sauce, unbaked stuffing and--surprise!--garlic mashed potatoes. Use the reserved side dishes for Christmas dinner or New Year's Day.
  • Celebrate American Thanksgiving. (Canadian and UK friends? Enjoy the day off!)
  • Shop Black Friday sales! Use your game plan to get the best deals quickly.
  • Inspect and inventory decorations. As seasonal decorations come out of storage, make a quick review of what you have. Add any needed items to the shopping list.
  • Begin holiday decorating. As the weekend winds down, begin the transition from Thanksgiving decor to Advent or Christmas decorations.
  • Send party invitations. Holding a holiday party this year? Send invitations early. Social calendars fill up quickly in December.
  • Arrange for baby-sitters. Be quick to call for help as holiday invitations arrive; baby-sitters are busy in December, too.
What are you going to do this week?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I just found out last week that I won't be needed on Tuesday at school. That has opened up a whole day to getting things done on this list. Universities close down on Tuesday afternoon. Unless something changes, I won't need to pick up anyone for the long weekend. By Wednesday afternoon, the whole gang will be back for a few days.

Household Checklist
  • Work off of Thanksgiving Timeline
  • Clean and declutter the entryway.
  • Polish silver.
  • Set up extra leaves and extra table.
  • Gather extra chairs, table clothes, serving pieces, and necessary cookware.
  • Set the table ahead.
  • Print Christmas Timeline off.
Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Shop Black Friday sales.
  • Inspect and inventory decorations.
  • Set up Advent decorations.
Still to do
  • Work on Christmas cards.
  • Make extra meals for December.
  • Organize the recipe book.
  • Plan holiday baking.
  • Bake Christmas cake if time permits.

Reactions: happy2bme

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
This week will be a bit different for me. My front door comes into the living room, so that area was deep cleaned earlier in the plan. So, I will work on my other entry space which comes into my laundry room at the back of my house.

HOUSEHOLD CHECKLIST:
wash walls, light fixture, door, windows & curtains, vacuum & mop floors - done
wipe down washer & dryer - done

HOLIDAY PREP CHECKLIST:
mail Christmas cards - done
purchase last 2 baking ingredients - done

Last edited:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm running a week behind so just now posted my update on Week 12 -- that is where I'm at right now.

However, I think by next week the plan will converge and I'll be back on track. Much multi-tasking will be happening. Feeling strong and cutting back on the less important stuff to make it all come together. And saying NO as much as I can! :). I can do that because the kids aren't here!