2023 - Christmas Countdown - Week 2 - Reality Check

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Get Organized Week
Reality Check Week
Gifts and Giving Week
Get Cooking Week
Decorate Week
Celebrate Week

Planning for Christmas isn't all gingerbread and twinkle lights. The season can be a source of significant stress, so this week, we're making a reality check in the Christmas Countdown.

Warning! Holiday reality check ahead!

It's week two of the Christmas Countdown, and time to consider the darker side of the holiday season. Though we may not be conscious of them, hidden holiday forces work to over-run our budgets and distort our decision-making.

This week, we'll take a hard look at some of the downside to the season. Over-spending. Time pressure. Insecurities amplified by social media, magazines and television programs. Will our decisions--and our joy--be affected by these forces?

Not to worry! Coming face to face with the reality of outside pressures will make us stronger--and we'll be empowered to bring our celebrations within the circle of our own values. We'll do less ... and enjoy it more!
Ready? Let's get organized!

To Do This Week

• Replace Halloween decorations with Thanksgiving-themed decor.
  • Divide the Christmas card list into five groups. Write and address one group this week.
  • Make a holiday budget. Work together with your spouse or partner to set a comfortable level of holiday spending.
  • Divide entries on the master gift list into five groups. Begin shopping for Christmas gifts, and try to buy one-fifth of the gifts this week.
  • Set up a holiday housework plan. Post it publicly and hold family members accountable for delegated tasks.
  • Print several copies of the master shopping list to speed errand days. Group to-buy items to make shopping trips easier.
  • Make a family wardrobe check. Fill out the family wardrobe planner, and put any "To Buy" items on your shopping list.
  • Do you keep a gift closet, adding new gift items year-round? Take inventory now, before you shop for holiday gifts.
  • Establish good health habits to cushion you and your family from holiday stresses. Focus on regular bedtimes, proper diet, mild exercise and stress reduction. Schedule self-care appointments in the holiday calendar.
  • Make a tabletop check;. Inventory serving pieces, table linens, china and flatware. Check store flyers for sales, and add needed replacements to the shopping list. Will you be ready to set a pretty holiday table?
  • Schedule family haircut appointments.
  • Inventory stocks of wrap and mail supplies with a gift wrapping checklist.

To Buy This Week

• Begin Christmas gift shopping. Divide the master gift list into five sections. Purchase gifts for one-fifth of the list entries. Wrap gifts as they are purchased. Keep a running total of gift expenditures and enter on the holiday budget form.
  • Purchase any needed holiday clothing for family members.
  • If you'll need table linens, serving pieces or decor for the holiday table, add it to the shopping list now!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thank you Mary. There are a few items on the list that I need to get to.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I rechecked my budget. It's a little tighter than I had planned, but I think I can make it work.

I need to check with the children and see where we are doing Christmas this year. It will make a difference in how much prep work I need since it's only DH and myself at home now. I won't need so many table linens, napkins, serving dishes, etc.

I may need a new blouse for Christmas. I've lost weight and I've noticed things are too big in the shoulders and neck, especially shirts with no collar. Pants are okay at this point. I do need to shop for some closed toe shoes, too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
missjane. I too need to check plans with DD and DSIL. If I ask them now I will not get an answer so will need to leave it for another couple of weeks.
Well done on the weight loss

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I've lost weight and I've noticed things are too big in the shoulders and neck, especially shirts with no collar.
Congratulations! I always like to buy something new for Christmas. I hope you find something wonderful! :)

Reactions: missjane

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Congratulations! I always like to buy something new for Christmas. I hope you find something wonderful! :)
I too try and buy one outfit that I will use for every event through the season. None of my events overlap so I am more than happy to wear the same thing. This year I have bought a ankle length gingham dress.