2023 - HHP - Week 10 - Cooking Space

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Week 1 - Planning and Paperwork
Week 2 - Calendar and Creativity
Week 3 - Me & Mine
Week 4 - Close to Home
Week 5 - House Room
Week 6 - Wardrobe
Week 7 - Bed & Bath
Week 8 - Family Space
Week 9 - Public Space

Week 10 - Cooking Space
Week 11 - Food Storage
Week 12 - Dining Space
Week 13 - Entryway
Week 14 - Storage
Week 15 - Final Clean
Week 16 - Nearly There
Week 17 - Celebration
Week 18 - New Year’s

This Week's Focus: Kitchen
Even for families who don't do much in the way of cooking, the holiday season brings new emphasis on the kitchen. Will you be preparing holiday meals, baking treats, or making kitchen gifts?

Time to clean up in the kitchen! Tackling holiday cooking is easier when the kitchen is clean, organized and clutter-free, so this week, we'll focus there.

Sunday's extra hour of sleep gives us time for a quick home safety check. To round out this week, we'll begin preparing for Thanksgiving dinner by organizing recipes, planning menus and making a tabletop check.

This Week's Household Checklist

• Make a home preparedness check. An extra hour on Time Change Sunday gives a time bonus to check household safety and preparedness, as we prepare to move into colder weather. Make a preparedness check as you change the clocks, test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, assess the household's stock of cold and flu supplies, and review the household emergency plan.
  • Get down and dirty with a kitchen clean-up! American Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners lie in our future and will put new emphasis on the household's kitchen. This week, we tackle kitchen clutter, cleaning and organization. Moving shelf by shelf, cupboard by cupboard, take on kitchen clutter this week. Using the STOP clutter method, bring food preparation workspaces to a lean, mean, efficient state. Once clutter is conquered, a kitchen clean-out is in order. Rout out the grime and corral the crumbs for a sparkling holiday kitchen. Don't worry about pantry, freezer or refrigerator just yet ... we'll turn to food storage areas next week.

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist

• Status Check! Review the progress of the House and Holidays Plan on the first day of the month. If you're falling behind, adjust goals to a more realistic level.
  • Recycle trick-or-treat candy for holiday baking or decor items.
  • Decorate for Thanksgiving. Remove Halloween decorations and replace them with Thanksgiving-themed items.
  • Organize holiday recipes. It's November ... do you know where your seasonal recipes are? Dig out the recipes you use during the holiday season, and add them to the holiday recipes planner. Thanksgiving Day is too busy to waste time hunting for the Green Bean Casserole recipe.
  • Plan Thanksgiving menus. If you're hosting the Thanksgiving feast, it's time to make a menu plan. Use a menu planner, and delegate, delegate, delegate!
  • Order the Thanksgiving turkey. Your meat market will thank you for not waiting until the last minute!
  • Plan holiday baking. With recipes out, make a list of baked goodies you'll make for the holidays. The holiday baking planner form is a good place to start.
  • Buy containers for freezer meals, baked goods or kitchen gifts. If you haven't already stocked up at the back-to-school sales, take stock of food storage bag and containers. Holiday-themed disposable containers and freezer bags are available now.
  • Make a tabletop check. Inventory serving pieces, stemware, china and flatware. Check store flyers for sales. Will you be ready to set a pretty holiday table?
  • Bake any fruitcakes or Christmas cakes which require mellowing. Now's the time to bake the Christmas cakes! You'll have eight weeks to mellow them before the season.
What are you doing this week?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I don't know about you, but for me, once Halloween arrives, it seems like everything snowballs faster into Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Household Checklist:

• Check cold and flu supplies. Did this earlier but need to restock some items already.
  • See if snow shovels are in good condition and that there is enough rock salt.
  • Declutter kitchen cabinets.

Holiday Prep Checklist:
  • Do a Status Check.
  • Decorate for Thanksgiving.
  • Organize holiday recipes. Send recipe to dd.
  • Plan Thanksgiving menus.
  • Buy the Thanksgiving turkey on sale.
  • Plan holiday baking.
  • Inventory serving pieces, stemware, china and flatware.
Still to Do: Write out cards.

Last edited:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
OMG I need to be back in NY!

• Love
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
HOUSEHOLD CHECKLIST:

clean ceiling fan, wipe down tops and fronts of cupboards, wash walls, vacuum & mop floor, clean shelf, light fixture & windows - done
reorganize cupboards - done

HOLIDAY PREP CHECKLIST:

plan holiday baking - done
work on Christmas cards - done

Last edited:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Well I about fainted today. I was stressing out about being behind for Christmas due to travel, family health crises etc. Just a lot going on this year in our extended family. Right now I have unexpected houseguests. I came home today and my daughter (now grown but was a wee little one when I started this plan and has never actually seen it but heard me refer to it over the years) had gone online and downloaded the plan off Organized Christmas. She put it on her computer, completely edited it to apply to our family and said "Okay Mom -- here's where we are at. I think we can hustle a bit and work a little on it each day and we'll be right back on track." ::-O. Yeah, about FAINTED.

How awesome is THAT??

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Well I about fainted today. I was stressing out about being behind for Christmas due to travel, family health crises etc. Just a lot going on this year in our extended family. Right now I have unexpected houseguests. I came home today and my daughter (now grown but was a wee little one when I started this plan and has never actually seen it but heard me refer to it over the years) had gone online and downloaded the plan off Organized Christmas. She put it on her computer, completely edited it to apply to our family and said "Okay Mom -- here's where we are at. I think we can hustle a bit and work a little on it each day and we'll be right back on track." ::-O. Yeah, about FAINTED.

How awesome is THAT??
Excellent joy you have done as a mom!!! Best gift ever.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Excellent joy you have done as a mom!!! Best gift ever.
I'm so happy she will carry it with her. She's just in her early 20s but what a gift to to ME to see her learning these habits and routines this early in her life. Sure wish I did!! (Anyhow, she's totally saving me right now! LOL!)

A little off my standard format but...

Home:
Today we cleared through the typical wreckage of having houseguests along with many unexpected boxes and belongings coming in. Gobs of laundry from our trip. Got all that mostly under control.
Halloween decorations away, changed over to Thanksgiving.
Seasonal Safety Check - working on it. Winter storm prepping too.
Kitchen - Hoping to get freezers defrosted this weekend - fingers crossed!
Great Room Space -- working on getting some artwork framed.
Garage & Attic -- still trying to get in some donation runs before the weather turns to ice. Another going out tomorrow. Anything out the door is a win. No matter how small!

Holiday
Reality check taken.
Guests all figured out for Thanksgiving
Recipes organized. -- Working on it. Most are loaded into Paprika app. Considering placing grocery order online since I don't normally do that. Might try it this year?
Plan Menu -- we usually go with a similar plan. Just depends on numbers.
Baking Plan -- We have a big list -- but not sure I trust DD to just put dough in the freezer without baking it!
Freezer Meals -- Need to get that Freezer defrosted first! High priority though!
Order Turkey -- happening tomorrow. Decided on a Smoked Turkey from Whole Foods. We have enough other items to cook since we are gluten free. Not up for the whole Traeger Turkey challenge thing this year.
TableTop Check -- I think we are good.

Hope to get some downtime this weekend to check in more on all the threads. Rooting for all of you!

Hallimer -- Are you traveling?

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I ordered my fresh turkey but the guy working in the meat department called me back to say they didn’t get any turkeys in the size I wanted (14 to 16 pounds) but then correct himself to say there were many turkeys that size this year. Makes me wonder if their fresh turkey are just frozen that they unthaw so I’m having Dh call today to ask if their turkey are really fresh or just frozen and then defrosted. Last year we went to pick up a “Fresh” turkey and it was frozen with a label that said fresh. We drove 30 miles to the store advertising “Fresh”. So I suppose they were fresh at one time.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hello all! So it's sunny and HOT again.

DH has been kind enough to give me his cold and scratchy throat so I am not feeling at the best.

Nonetheless I went to the RV show with him and then took off and went to the Junior League Holiday Market. Both were at the fairgrounds in Tampa. the Holiday Market has grown to about 200 vendors. Very festive - jewelry, clothing, food, Christmas decor etc. I got a pair of dreidel earrings - the only thing Hanukkah there - a pillow cover that says "Book Nerd) and has a compartment where you can put your current books, and a yummy smelling candle. Obviously this was all for me:). No gifts purchased at this time.

I'm pretty much packed to leave and don't have the energy to do any more decluttering so a quiet afternoon and evening are ahead.

Have a happy!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
OMG I need to be back in NY!
You made me laugh! I know that feeling.
my daughter (now grown but was a wee little one when I started this plan and has never actually seen it but heard me refer to it over the years) had gone online and downloaded the plan off Organized Christmas. She put it on her computer, completely edited it to apply to our family and said "Okay Mom -- here's where we are at. I think we can hustle a bit and work a little on it each day and we'll be right back on track." ::-O. Yeah, about FAINTED.
Wow! I love it! Team work at its best.

Oh, man, this has been just another week of exhaustion at the end of the day. I didn't even get to work on the house or this plan until 4 hours ago. :( Even then, I didn't feel like it but procrastination takes more time and energy than actually doing the work.

Status check: I usually have stocking stuffers bought and wrapped by now. I haven't gotten to any of it yet. I have some ideas but just not the time to go out and buy anything. Today was the last college visit for autumn. That will free up next Saturday to get out and look around for ideas.

Kitchen cabinets were in decent shape. I hardly had to do anything this year.

The Thanksgiving menu is almost finalized. I'm waiting to hear back from one of my dds on her side dish or dessert selection.

Tentative dates have been placed on the calendar for baking. I'd love to make up the dough for a few batches this upcoming week. I'm just not sure if I'm being realistic.

Still haven't gotten to the cards. Another thing to add to the list for the upcoming week.

Reactions: happy2bme

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I didn't get all of my tasks done, so will carry them over to Week 11.

Everyone at work has been sick on and off for the last month and it finally got me. I missed 3 days of work, but am finally feeling better.

DD is moving back home the first weekend of December, so I am trying to reorganize every room in the house to make space for her and her stuff.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Mel, we're there with you with a DD moving back in.