2023 - HHP - Week 11 - Food Storage

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Week 1 - Planning and Paperwork
Week 2 - Calendar and Creativity
Week 3 - Me & Mine
Week 4 - Close to Home
Week 5 - House Room
Week 6 - Wardrobe
Week 7 - Bed & Bath
Week 8 - Family Space
Week 9 - Public Space
Week 10 - Cooking Space
Week 11 - Food Storage
Week 12 - Dining Space
Week 13 - Entryway
Week 14 - Storage
Week 15 - Final Clean
Week 16 - Nearly There
Week 17 - Celebration
Week 18 - New Year’s

Holiday cooking puts new emphasis on food storage spaces: pantry, refrigerator, freezer. This week, we'll clean, organize and prepare food storage spaces for Christmas.

American Thanksgiving reminds us to be grateful for our bounty--and in most homes, that blessing is most clearly seen in the larder. This week in the House and Holidays Plan, we'll declutter, organize and clean food storage areas.

In our homes, the refrigerator, freezer and pantry hold a wealth of foodstuffs--and with holidays ahead, these food storage areas will be called into front-row service.

Whether you have a single shelf and refrigerator-top freezer unit or dedicated areas for pantry and freezer storage, it's time to bring order to the larder.
Holiday prep chores run in harmony this week. We'll inventory the freezer and pantry, take advantage of seasonal sales to stock up, and build frozen assets to see us through December's busy evenings.

This Week's Focus: Food Storage Areas

Our homes hold an amazing bounty in the pantry and freezer, and never more so than during the holiday season. This week, we turn to food storage areas in our home to prepare them for the coming weeks.

Whether your home includes a dedicated pantry and stand-alone freezer, or simply stockpiles food in cupboards and corners, it's time to clean and organize areas used to store food. Include the refrigerator in this week's activities, to bring order and make space for holiday goodies.

In holiday prep, we'll check equipment, supplies and ingredients so we're poised to prepare Thanksgiving dinner with ease.

This Week's Household Checklist

• Clean out the refrigerator. Time for a refrigerator clean-out. Make space for holiday cooking by tossing expired bottles and jars, and bring holiday sparkle to the Great White Whale with a top-to-toe cleaning session.
  • Clean out the freezer. In the freezer? We'll cull the clutter, organize the contents, and make room for holiday baking and the fruits of a freezer cooking session.
  • Clean out the pantry. Finally, dry storage areas deserve a shake-down, too. Toss stale or expired food items, clean shelves and organize the survivors for efficient holiday cooking.

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist

• Start a freezer inventory. Keep track of your frozen assets with a freezer inventory. Update your list as you add holiday goodies, side dishes and freezer meals in the coming weeks.
  • Inventory the pantry. The year's best sales on staple foods lie just ahead. Know what you need--and make space to store it--with a pantry inventory form. Set aside foods you won't use to donate to holiday food drives.
  • Give spices the sniff test. Soon holiday cooks will be reaching for the sage, cinnamon or nutmeg; how fresh are your spices? Give the spice rack a sniff test, and replace any stale or outdated spices before you cook.
  • Review recipes and make a shopping list. This week sees the year's lowest prices at the supermarket, as grocers battle for your holiday food dollar. Get ready to save: check holiday recipes and make a shopping list. Include all pantry or frozen items that you'll need for rest of the season, because these low prices won't last long!
  • Eat from the freezer and pantry this week. To free up funds for holiday food shopping, rely on stored food to feed the family this week. It's a two-fer: you'll reserve cash for food bargains and make space in food storage areas!
  • Stock up on seasonal staples. It's loss leader time at the supermarket, as merchants compete for your holiday food dollar. Take advantage of low prices and stock the pantry for holiday cooking ahead.
  • Stockpile freezer meals. Whether you do an at-home freezer cooking session, try the new meal assembly franchises or simply cook some extra pots of chili or spaghetti sauce this, stow away a few pre-cooked freezer meals. In December, you'll appreciate the convenience of having dinner ready to go on busy nights.
  • Check out cooking equipment. Do you have all the equipment you'll need to cook a holiday meal or complete holiday baking? Make a quick check of kitchen cupboards. If you need new equipment like a roaster, cookie sheets or a meat thermometer, add it to the shopping list. Kitchen equipment goes on sale soon!
  • Plan potluck meals. If you're part of family, church or social groups that hold Advent potluck dinners, be ready. A printable potluck meal planner will help organize and delegate appetizers, entrees and desserts for community dinners.

What are you going to do this week?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This is tech week for dd. Pick up is at 7 pm. I'm hoping to use the afternoon drive time for afterschool pick up to get to things done off this list. I'm looking at my Thanksgiving Prep Checklist and I'm quite behind compared to previous years.

Household Checklist

• Clean out the refrigerator.
  • Clean out the freezer.
  • Clean out the pantry.

Holiday Prep Checklist

• Inventory the pantry.
  • Review recipes and make a shopping list.
  • Stock up on seasonal staples.

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
HOUSEHOLD CHECKLIST:

clean fridge, oven, freezer, pantry - done
inventory freezer & pantry - done

HOLIDAY PREP CHECKLIST:

review recipes, make master shopping list - done
work on Christmas cards - done

Complete tasks for Week 10 - done

Last edited:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Productive weekend and early week ....
  • Blasted out the housecleaning,
  • Winterized the yard (hoses away, shrubs cut back for Spring, leaves blown....
  • Storm/Emerg Prep -- still need propane and to refill the water jugs. In good shape on firewood
  • Chest Freezer cleaned out and defrosted -- fridge in process, 1 more freezer to go. Timing for next garbage day.
  • Thanksgiving Box -- Pulling out the decor items for Thanksgiving (linens etc), dry goods will go in same box.
  • Backing up the computer in the background. Man it needs an overhaul. That's for January.
  • Black Friday Hitlist printed -- need to get the store hours so I'm not sitting in parking lot in the cold while the stores restock.. We now get most stuff online but there's something about being out shopping at 5am that's kinda fun. We crash by noon.
Right now I'm checking recipes for shopping. I like having them all in Excel so I can just quick sort them by store. I have my Paprika App also -- which is a real help. Also nice for kids that will be away to have access to those recipes.

Here's the rest of the week:

House:

• Organize refrigerator, freezer & pantry.
  • Still working on the Attic (Santa's Workshop). Got a lot done last night. Another round should do it.
Oh -- And we need to pressure wash the patio so we don't slip and slide everywhere. DH just got it running. It wasn't starting. But now it is COLD! (And you know that's going to make a mess of the windows). Praying for a warm day.

Holiday:
  • Food Storage Areas finished.
  • Clean out the refrigerator -- checking dates. Stop any unnecessary incoming items from the kids and DH. :
  • Clean out the freezer. -- Done.
  • Clean out the garage freezer -- and clear all the furniture that is now currently in FRONT of that freezer.
  • Set up a freezer inventory. -- Really need to do this. Made an area for everything that needs to be eaten soon.
  • Organize and inventory the pantry. -- Assigning to DD.
  • Stock up on seasonal staples. It's loss leader time at the supermarket - I gotta think. Batteries for sure.
  • Plan potluck meals. -- Mmmm.... nothing on radar this year.
  • Add freezer meals to the freezer. -- For sure. Or everyone will starve.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm looking at my Thanksgiving Prep Checklist and I'm quite behind compared to previous years.

I made the call yesterday that this is the year for ordering a smoked turkey. I need to buy back some time! Was hoping to use the Traeger -- but nope! I'll make all the sides.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Plowing through the list and checking things off little by little. I got a break this week at work and was able to leave 15 minutes early a few days. Those 15 minutes seemed huge to me. Tech week was this week for dd. No afterschool pick up until 7 pm. That gave me some large chunks of uninterrupted time to get more work done than anticipated.

We now get most stuff online but there's something about being out shopping at 5am that's kinda fun. We crash by noon.
After Christmas 2020 with the shipping delays, I prefer to buy things in the store so I know I actually have them wrapped for Christmas. I do not want a repeat of that problem again. On the flip side, there are things that I can't seem to find in the store anymore and I have to order them online. In any event, I plan to go out on Black Friday to get shopping done. I'll need to sit down and look through the ads.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Plowing through the list and checking things off little by little. I got a break this week at work and was able to leave 15 minutes early a few days. Those 15 minutes seemed huge to me. Tech week was this week for dd. No afterschool pick up until 7 pm. That gave me some large chunks of uninterrupted time to get more work done than anticipated.

After Christmas 2020 with the shipping delays, I prefer to buy things in the store so I know I actually have them wrapped for Christmas. I do not want a repeat of that problem again. On the flip side, there are things that I can't seem to find in the store anymore and I have to order them online. In any event, I plan to go out on Black Friday to get shopping done. I'll need to sit down and look through the ads.
That is something I'm struggling with, too. Without reliable internet at home, it makes it nerve wrecking.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
This is how I felt last year when unexpected snow completely shut us down in early Dec. I couldn't get out to the stores. This year I'm getting thing IN THE HOUSE so I can be wrapping and prepping. That said, Walmart just lost a big order of mine by mislabeling the package. Proven by photos from FedEx (which really impressed me). That has me worried about shipping though. Hoping it was a fluke.

This year is a year of complete unexpected train-wreck events. Classic year for this plan to prove it's worth yet again!

Headed out for the in-person shopping today. Our game plan for Black Friday morning is changing as our regular Mall was unimpressive this year. Not a lot we were interested in. That means if we go we would have to go to the Mall in the city- that's more crowded and sounds much less appealing. So we are thinking what we want to do. (And this is really all about drinking coffee and wandering, not so much a mission to shop. The shopping mission is happening today).

Online orders are underway and shopping carts partially loaded waiting for the price drop. There's a few stores I'm stressing about.

Trying to focus on the Top 5:
Something to wear
Something to eat
Something to read
Something to play
Something to..... what was the other one?

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Trying to focus on the Top 5:
Something to wear
Something to eat
Something to read
Something to play
Something to..... what was the other one?
The one I do is:

Something I want
Something I need
Something to wear
Something to read