2023 - HHP - Week 6 - Wardrobe Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We are one third of the way through the plan. This week we focus on our clothing.

Week 1 - Planning and Paperwork

Week 2 - Calendar and Creativity
Week 3 - Me & Mine
Week 4 - Close to Home
Week 5 - House Room
Week 6 - Wardrobe
Week 7 - Bed & Bath
Week 8 - Family Space
Week 9 - Public Space
Week 10 - Cooking Space
Week 11 - Food Storage
Week 12 - Dining Space
Week 13 - Entryway
Week 14 - Storage
Week 15 - Final Clean
Week 16 - Nearly There
Week 17 - Celebration
Week 18 - New Year’s

Step out in style this holiday season with Wardrobe Week assignments from the House & Holidays Plan. Holiday photos are coming!
Get out your high-heeled sneakers, Baby--it's time to think of holiday finery. This week in the House and Holidays Plan, we'll declutter, organize and clean closets and clothing care areas.
Think ahead to the holidays: will the family be able to strut their stuff all season long? A family wardrobe check makes sure everybody's covered (literally) for the season's events. Decluttering family clothing helps us add needed clothing items to the gift list or shopping list in good time to replace worn or out-grown clothing before the season.
Rounding out the week with holiday prep chores, we work on Christmas cards, brainstorm ideas for Secret Santa celebrations and begin catalog or Internet shopping.
Ready? Time to get cracking ... on Wardrobe Week!

This Week's Focus: Clothing Care Areas and Clothes Closets

Catching up on the clothes closet is our focus this week, and it's high time! With Autumn bringing cooler weather and the holidays ahead, it's time to assess our family's wardrobe.
While we're focused on clothing, we'll also clean, declutter and organize any areas devoted to clothing care. Whether it's a laundry area, a sewing corner or clothing storage, this week will see us clean and organize the areas where we care for clothing.
In holiday prep, we'll think ahead to "Secret Santa" or classroom gifts, focus on gift ideas for family members and begin catalog shopping.

This Week's Household Checklist

• Tackle family clothes closets. With cooler weather on the way, a seasonal clothes closet declutter is in order. Make room for holiday finery as you sort and toss summer's stained garments.
  • Declutter, clean and organize clothing care areas. From the laundry room to the sewing basket, it's time to make a clean sweep of clothing care areas. Declutter the laundry room, then clean and organize any other household area devoted to clothing care. Make it easy to do the wash, press a dress or sew on a dangling button ... fast!

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist

• Check family wardrobes. Time for a pre-holiday wardrobe check! Print and fill out the family wardrobe worksheet, and put any "To Buy" items on your shopping list.
  • Plan photo outfits. Check condition and fit for family photo outfits. Save time and tears on photo day!
  • Update individual "gift suggestion" lists for each family member. As you check wardrobes, record current clothing sizes, colors and preferences on the Gift Idea Planner form for each family member. Up-to-date information means fewer gift returns on December 26th!
  • Clear out the coat closet. Colder weather plus holiday guests can make for cramped quarters in the family coat closet. Add extra hangers, and make space for guests' coats, hats and umbrellas.
  • Brainstorm ideas for Secret Santa or 12 Days exchanges. Workplace, school or social group gift exchanges should be small and sweet. Brainstorm gift ideas now.
  • Begin shopping catalogs or the Internet. Ordering early pays off if you shop online or through catalogs. Begin now to spread the financial burden of gift-giving and build up reserves in the gift closet.
  • Continue working on Christmas cards. Divide the Christmas card list into five sections. Complete one section this week--then check progress against the goal. You should be more than half-way there ... and on track to finish before November 15.

What are you doing this week?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This week we are getting much cooler temperatures. The leaves have begun to slowly turn colors and more leaves are dropping each day. I forgot how much I like this anticipation of the weather change and all the images of coziness autumn brings.

This Week's Household Checklist
  • Change out spring/summer clothes to fall winter.
  • Declutter, clean and organize hall closets. Check for enough hangers.
This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Determine what outfits will be worn for Thanksgiving & Christmas. Do I need to buy an outfit, shoes and/or hosiery?
  • Review gift suggestions for the family.
  • Brainstorm ideas for Secret Santa. Buy any items as I see them.
  • Continue working on Christmas cards. For the first time in ages, I have worked on Christmas cards in October. This is a small victory. I hope to get more done this week.

Last edited:

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Continue working on Christmas cards. For the first time in ages, I have worked on Christmas cards in October. This is a small victory. I hope to get more done this week.
I just got some cards from a thrift store. I should start writing addressing the family cards. I know of one or two address I need. I could at least find those.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got through the change of seasonal clothes. I have some outfits to wear on Thanksgiving and Christmas if I don't see anything I like in the next month or two. I try to buy one new dressy top in the fall and one in the spring. I'm good with my hosiery and shoes.

I'm not sure if there will be a small gift exchange/Secret Santa at this new job. The last time I worked where there was one was over 25 years ago. I know my dd will have one. I've got some ideas now and will see about using them if neccessary.

How is everyone else doing?

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm on track with Wardrobe Week. Got my clothes switched out. Got more decluttering done clearing the way to clear out my attic for a wrapping station (that is all accessed from my closet so this is a critical week for me). Decided I REALLY need some dark brown pants and I hate all the brown pant colors out there. They are too light. I need a solid dark brown to go with my brown boots. Ugh. Otherwise Im very happy to be pulling out my sweaters. Shoulder season Is always rough for me so happy to be past it! I have a couple more trips to make (which is absolutely screwing up my Holiday Prep game). My little victory this week is I let go of items that were from previous years that sentimental memories. I really really really want my time back and I don't want to manage "stuff". I want to live while I'm healthy and can do so. Right?

Also -- good times -- suspicious we might have mold in the basement. So I have to go track that down. Cuz that is exactly what I want to deal with during the holidays. Maybe it is on something we can simply throw away. That would be great! (No sheetrock down there so I'm not freaking out).. We had a water leak and I've been unusually stuffy which is why I'm suspicious. Where's my gas mask?

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I took stock a while ago of my wardrobe and did a major purge. I got rid of a lot of things that were uncomfortable, too big, too small and just not my style. I have had a lot of luck at my favorite thrift and discount stores lately and have an almost new to me wardrobe!

At this stage of my life, it's all about comfort!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'm on track with Wardrobe Week. Got my clothes switched out. Got more decluttering done clearing the way to clear out my attic for a wrapping station (that is all accessed from my closet so this is a critical week for me). Decided I REALLY need some dark brown pants and I hate all the brown pant colors out there. They are too light. I need a solid dark brown to go with my brown boots. Ugh. Otherwise Im very happy to be pulling out my sweaters. Shoulder season Is always rough for me so happy to be past it! I have a couple more trips to make (which is absolutely screwing up my Holiday Prep game). My little victory this week is I let go of items that were from previous years that sentimental memories. I really really really want my time back and I don't want to manage "stuff". I want to live while I'm healthy and can do so. Right?

Also -- good times -- suspicious we might have mold in the basement. So I have to go track that down. Cuz that is exactly what I want to deal with during the holidays. Maybe it is on something we can simply throw away. That would be great! (No sheetrock down there so I'm not freaking out).. We had a water leak and I've been unusually stuffy which is why I'm suspicious. Where's my gas mask?
I recently looked for dark brown pants and had the hardest time finding some. The ones I did find were on a clearance rack at Belk. They're a synthetic suede looking fabric that feels fabulous. Good luck finding yours!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I so agree. I splurged on some new bedding for the same reason, I deserve to be comfy in bed.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We had a water leak and I've been unusually stuffy which is why I'm suspicious. Where's my gas mask?
Oh no! I hope you are able to solve the issue sooner than later.
My little victory this week is I let go of items that were from previous years that sentimental memories. I really really really want my time back and I don't want to manage "stuff". I want to live while I'm healthy and can do so. Right?
Good for you! That can be really, really hard to do.
I can't wear jeans or flannel shirts (my comfort clothes) at this new place so I bought a new wardrobe this summer. It was last winter's clothes on a deep clearance. LOL! I was thrilled. But my biggest thrill was getting some well made shoes on sale. They are comfortable enough for standing in all day long. I never thought I would be able to afford them but the company ran a fantastic sale online.

Reactions: happy2bme