2nd Round of HGP (Holiday Grand Plan)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
June 19th of our 7th Week. Hollybow and I have both chosen the Family Room. Well...... today is the last day before we begin Week Eight! I will devote some GOOD action to this room today! (And spend many Baby Steps on my "decluttering project".... My Closet!

It would be very efficient to have my Room Of The Week..... be the room where I am doing my "big decluttering project". Somehow..... it is just NOT working out that way.... during this round of the Summer Holiday Grand Plan! Luckily.... we will all have PLENTY of opportunities to do this plan in the future!

I am "hanging on to the Summer HGP... with my fingertips"!!!!!!! But..... IT IS TRUE....... that "anything we accomplish is BETTEER than nothing!"

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
I have gotten stalled out with my cleaning because I have been farming and had life drama! Trying to get back on track, anything I do is better than nothing!
Still in the kitchen, that room always needs the most work!! My craft room is also screaming...hoping to have some extra time this week, hoping to catch up!!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Morning everyone!!

Well... the last week, I haven't done much at all in the family room. Luckily, that happens to be where I'm having the girls fairy tea party on Friday for Fairy Day. So I'm forced to clean it up on Thursday!! LOL!!

This week is the bathrooms. Not an overly easy week for me, but not a really difficult one either. It's just a matter of being organised and actually DOING the work! This is where I generally get stuck LOL!

It would be very efficient to have my Room Of The Week..... be the room where I am doing my "big decluttering project". Somehow..... it is just NOT working out that way.... during this round of the Summer Holiday Grand Plan! Luckily.... we will all have PLENTY of opportunities to do this plan in the future!

SparkleNana, I also have a seperate decluttering/project area for the month. This month it is my spare back room/future guest room/future DH's hobby room. I'm just trying to do a little bit each day there. But the SHGP area is more about cleaning, so I don't get overwhelmed trying to declutter more then one area!

Enjoy your day everyone!!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I am starting the Holiday Grand Plan quite a bit early. I have a feeling I will be in the hospital during the "Grand Plan" (October or November) so I got an early start on the cleaning and de-cluttering. I will be able to relax a bit for the two week in hospital knowing my house is clean and I am ready for the holidays.

We are in the midst of afternoon monsoon season so I am using the "inside time" to clean.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I'm working right along wih you, cmerth! It's kind of tough now...... but it will be WONDERFUL to be prepared "early" for Christmas 2011! Of course.... you have ALREADY gotten some beautiful (and useful) Christmas gifts made!!!! THAT has already put you way ahead!!!!!

Getting stuff OTD (Out The Door) makes EVERYTHING so much better! And, of course, "cleaning" makes us feel much better, too!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Week EIGHT of our Summer Holiday Grand Plan. I don't even know which room is "scheduled".... but I am going to be in the Office/Guest Room this week! This room has been my big "decluttering project".... and I am impatient to make more progress!!!

Yesterday.... dh and I wnt to visit some apartment complexes in our area. Frankly.... we are just NOT enjoying the maintenance (and the constant repairs and upkeep) on this old house! Ds#3 and ddil help A LOT! But they work full time and ddil goes to graduate school full time.... and it is nice for them to have some time together!

ONE of the apartment complexes has a huge pool, a 24-hour fitness center, weekly free breakfast/get-togethers for each building, free outdoor movies... at the pool.... every Friday and Saturday evening, bar-b-q huts plus free summer bar-b-q's during the summer. Free "garden lots" for any tenant who wants one.... the list goes on and on. Oh.... and all utilities are included... except phone/cable. Bus stop at the door. Free parking for residents & guests. Each building has a manager in a big window office.... looking at the front door. BIG maintenance crew... taking care of snow, ice, ALL repairs, on and on. Oh.... it has its own "dog park"! And several playgrounds.

Frankly.... it looks like a lot of freedom to us! And... it costs less than half of what it costs to live here (not counting repairs here!) One thing I like bout this place is...... it is NOT for seniors! There is a big mix of people..... which I love!

A lot to think about!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You know, I've not been doing the Grand Plan this summer, but I had to tell someone I DUSTED last night. Yes, this was desperately needed and kept being put as the last thing on my list. Amazing how one evening can make all the difference. Now..I just need to avoid letting it get that bad again!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
MinnieCo- We must be on the same wavelength- I forced myself to dust Monday evening. I hate it too!

Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You know, I usually do it while I"m watching my mindless shows. But for some reason, just haven't. Annie...Feel Proud!! LOL

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Friday, June 24th. Since we are leaving very very early tomorrow..... today I am doing the... clean up the house so it looks good when you come back" thing! This means I will put=together the guest room/office. A LOT has come out of that reoom recently... which is good, of course!

Next week is WEEK 9..... of the Summer Holiday Grand Plan!!! Beginning on Monday, June 27th. I will take Week 9 as my "Catch Up Week".... since we may not be back home until Friday afternoon.

Let's keep on picking ourselves up and getting back on the WHEEL OF SUMMER HGP!!!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
As for me ...

I haven't done anything! Ack! :-]

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I had a pretty good "bathroom" week. I cleaned the main bathroom (including scrubbing the grouting in the shower - HATE that job!! It looks great now though :)

For the catch up week (WOW ALREADY!!), I'll do the ensuite. Although that doesn't get used much, so it's pretty easy.

Also, general cleaning/tidying of the living areas.

Jampass - don't worry! It's easy to just jump in :) Don't worry about the weeks you've missed and just think about what you'd like to do for the upcoming weeks. I find it easier to choose one main task to focus on, so it's not too overwhelming :)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Monday, June 27th. WEEK NINE!

Jmpass.... DO NOT WORRY about WHEN you begin the Summer Holiday Grand Plan! NONE of us have done this perfectly! We are ALL... just trying to make things a little bit less frazzled and more peaceful.... for Christmas 2011!! Every little bit we do now..... helps!!!

I read somewhere that there are EIGHT more weeks.... between today..... and when the Regulr Holiday Grand Plan begins! Eight weeks is a LONG TIME! So.... just pick a room for this week..... and jump right in! And.... just do what you can! The only "pressure"..... is the pressure we put on OURSELVES! And we encourage each other to NOT do that!

Some people are using this week as a "catch-up week". I am going to do that.... I'll use this week to work on my office/guest room.

Remember..... we do this in any EXTRA bits of time that we have left over.... from our routine work and responsibilities! And.... with time left-over AFTER Real Life gets through with us!!!!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
In the last post, I kind of made us sound more like "machines" than like "human beings". We do NOT have to work like machines. We are entitled to take time to relax and dream and think and pray and meditate and be with friends and enjoy sports or walks or whatever kind of physical exercise that we choose.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I had a pretty good "bathroom" week. I cleaned the main bathroom (including scrubbing the grouting in the shower - HATE that job!! It looks great now though

Nows the time to put on grout sealer.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I believe that we have jumped to..... WEEK ELEVEN!!!!!! It is July 8, 2011!

My HGP is spending the month of July in the office/guest room! It is IMPROVING! SO MUCH of the clutter is finally gone!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Wow... week eleven!!

SparkleNanna - that's great that the office/guest room is improving!! For me, that's where everything gets dumped, so even though I cleared it out last month, the hard part now is getting out of the habit of cluttering it up again!! I really have to think about whether I want to keep things before they go in there - or chances are I'll forget about them!!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Fun!

Ok, haven't been doing this AT ALL! But time to start!

Cleaning Weekly

THE ROOMS -
Living Room
Front Porch/ Entry Way
Master Bedroom
Bathrooms
Kids Rooms
Carport/ Screen Room
Computer Desk Area
Kitchen
Dining Room
Hall Closets
Laundry Room
Backyard/ Shed

October 30 – November 5
Living Room
[] Clean ceiling fan
[] Dust
[] Wash window
[] Vacuum under sectional couch
[] Vacuum sofa and loveseat and futon
[] Vacuum carpet and under carpet sectional
[] Organize entertainment center (go thru tapes and CD's, DVD's, mark on list, give away if not needed)
[] Go through book shelves (look at all titles - give away if needed)
[] Look at all knick-knacks (give away if not needed)

Dining Room
[] Wash down table and chairs
[] Take off seats and vacuum
[] redo material on seats and cover with plastic vinyl if needed
[] dust and organize food wine rack

November 6 - 12
Front Porch
[] Clean the light fixture.
[] Sweep the porch.
[] Sweep down the walls and get rid of cobwebs.
[] Wash the windows
[] Trim hedges
[] Front Door oiled
[] New Wreath

Backyard & Shed
[] Clean out shed, throw away or Freecycle unwanted items
[] Sweep out
[] Check toys, throw out old broken items

November 13 - 19
Master Bedroom
[] Clean and re-hang curtains
[] Organize nightstand drawer, sweater stand, chest of drawers
[] Clean window
[] vacuum/ dust mini blind
[] Clean out under bed
[] Clean out closet
[] Dust
[] vacuum

November 20 - 26
Master Bath & Hall Bath
[] De-clutter medicine cabinet and other shelves
[] Clean cabinet doors, switches, vents, light fixtures, tub (Mr. Clean sponge)
[] Clean shower
[] Clean toilet, counters, sinks, mirrors (the usual)
[] vacuum the wooden slats to cupboard doors
[] Organize under sink
[] sweep floor, clean baseboards
[] Go through son's tubby toys

November 27 – December 3
Son's Room
[] Clean under bed
[] Go through toys and books
[] Go through closet
[] Dust
[] Vacuum

[] Daughter’s Room (she does her own!!)

Hall Closets
[] Take everything out of coat closet and sort through
[] Vacuum floor and dust shelf
[] Put back only what needs to be in there!
[] Take everything out of hot water/heater/AC closet
[] Vacuum floor
[] Put back things only if they can do there and NOT be a fire hazzard!
[] Go through Towel/Sheet/Medicine closet

December 4 - 10
Screen Room/ Carport
[] Clear out Rubbermaid Unit
[] Clear out Mike's tool area
[] Sweep/ Vacuum
[] Clean up recycle & trash can area
[] Check wind chimes, replace if broken
[] Wash down freezer
[] Defrost freezer
[] Wipe chairs, table, treadmill, bench etc.

Laundry Room
[] Wash down inside/outside of back door
[] Go through shelves and throw away or give away
[] Reorganize the soap shelf
[] Reorganize the nail and screw jars, replace some
[] Mike go through work bench
[] Wipe down washer, inside of tub and fabric softener tube
[] Wipe down dryer and clean lint trap outside of house and front panel
[] Mop

December 11 - 17
Computer Desk Area/ Craft/ School Room
[] Go through desk drawers
[] Dust and organize the pile of paper crap by the computer
[] Air blow out inside of computer ... hubby helps
[] Go through filing cabinet, organize the home school files
[] Go through shelves above the computer, organize, give away (contains books, Christmas bags, boxes of stuff)
[] Go through book cases, organize, give away
[] Organize under large craft table ... my Christmas present hiding place!
[] Organize, closet, give away unused items (contains craft stuff and stuff-stuff)
[] Dust everything else
[] Go over bulletin boards and take off old news
[] Vacuum

December 18 - 24
Kitchen Surfaces/ Kitchen Inside Cabinets & Such
[] Wash down all fronts of cabinets
[] Wash down frig, stove, micro, dishwasher
[] Wash down all counter tops
[] Organize Cabinets Under: Sink, By Stove, By phone, Micro cart
[] Organize Cabinets Upper: Sink, By Stove, By phone, Above frig
[] Clean out frig and wipe down
[] Wipe out stove