A challenge for you, help for me?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Puternut

Premiere Member
Apr 25, 2013
FL. USA
Okay crafty people, what would you do with this Christmas tree, I have NO RED in my xmas decor inside, my colors are pink, teal blue and white, this was a gift, and is made out of styrofoam, looks like roses, I want to change it to go with my xmas colors, but how? I thought of spray paint for styrofoam, and something to make it sparkle, just not sure, asking for your help, input please?

sloanmama

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2009
Ohio
I would spray paint white. Krylon (and I'm sure other brands you can purchase at a craft store) makes a glitter spray which you could do from a distance to add some sparkle. Maybe hot glue some feathers in your themed colors in between the roses... fluffy boa-type feathers though, not bird-type stiff feathers.

On another note... I think it's perfect for Valentine's Day as is... if you decorate for Valentine's.

Puternut

Premiere Member
Apr 25, 2013
FL. USA
We only decorate for Xmas, been there done all the others years ago, but now all our effort is on the xmas holidays and I do mean effort... I use Krylon and it would eat styrofoam, it must be special paint for sure. I hope the idea's keep coming, not into feathers, but thanks for your idea's.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I would into a paint for Styrofoam--they have everything else--and I like sloanmamas puton some glitter. You can get the very fine glitter that sparkles with the color.

Be sure you show a picture after you change it up.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Did you think about using the spray snow and giving it flock look?

Puternut

Premiere Member
Apr 25, 2013
FL. USA
Yes, but I want to see NO RED! and forgot to mention the cone seems to be covered with a red fabric under flowers.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I've done some reading (on the net, where else? lol), and it seems you may be painting this puppy by hand with craft paint if you really want it to be a different color. Several claim you can use model paint, and if you can find a model shop, that they have model paint in spray cans that you can use. Some even claim you can buy Styrofoam safe spray paint, so I would suggest checking your local craft shop. Otherwise, I think you're stuck with it this color! I suggest adding it as an accent piece to your current color scheme, maybe in a bathroom or powder room on the vanity with some other decorations of your chosen color. That way you can use it, but it will not be in your main area of the house. Or you could use it outside at your entrance in a mixture of other textures and colors. You could always splatter paint it with craft paint in the color scheme you already use. The red would be a background color to your colors. Sorry, that's about all I can come up with.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I would re-gift it. It seems like too much of a challenge.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Lisa, best idea, yet! The only other thing I've thought of is wrapping it in tulle or organza, tying a bow on top, and adding some decorations onto it. Basically just using it to provide a base shape of a Christmas tree.

Puternut

Premiere Member
Apr 25, 2013
FL. USA
Regifting is not an option, we exchange gifts with no one, and I do not wish to see even a hint of red, anywhere in my home, we decorate our entire home,including bathrooms, as it is a very open floor plan, I posted some photo's of Xmas 2012 on here if you care to see them. I guess when I get to one of the big craft stores an idea will come to me, as I am a crafty, talented person myself. If not it will go to a thrift shop, donated. Or here's a few photo's and you will understand, I even have a blue & white Santa

sloanmama

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2009
Ohio
Your home looks lovely all decorated up for the holidays. And your theme is quite clear in your decorating (I love a theme!). Unfortunately, I'm at a loss for options other than what we've already seen suggested. Maybe your own suggestion of just taking a stroll through the craft store is the best bet. I'm surprised sometimes at what I find just walking through my craft stores that I've never seen before or suddenly find a use for. Also... I'd take that pic of your project with you... perhaps the craft store employees (who are usually very crafty people themselves) would have ideas as well, perhaps something that they've seen in the store already so you wouldn't have to spend too much time searching. (although sometimes searching the craft store is the best part of doing a project! hehe)

Whatever you find... let us know and post pics! Good luck!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
aaarggg! can't see the other pictures. I'll try at home, might just be the access here.