Advent

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SmilingSandra

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Saskatoon, SK Canada
I have been looking for weeks for a nice advent calendar to display. I would like the kind that when you open a door it shows a picture or verse rather than a spot for a treat or chocolate. In my travels and shopping I haven't noticed that much available. What do you do for advent? Do you have an observance or ritual or tradition? I realize now that it's the 3rd I may be a bit late for this year, but I can always start something to incorporate for next year!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Do you have a Christian supply store near you? I think that would be the best resource for what you are looking for. They would also have Advent devotional books for all ages. It's not too late! This is the season of "preparation"! You might also be able to find some verses and ideas online that you could print out. If you have a calendar with pockets in it, you could put veses in it instead of candy and other favors.

We have an advent candle wreath and light one more candle every Sunday before Christmas (light one candle the first Sunday (week), light that candle and one more the next week, and so on. It's just DH and I now, and I read a short devotional as we light the candles.

I have a felt Advent calendar. My 1st Mother in Law made for me. It is a tree with two people decorating it. It has little dots on it for the tree and each day you add a lttle ornament she made out of felt. IT 's cute and I am using itagain this year but am making a template to make another and more for my kids. She traced over a very old one from 16 years ago so I am on my own with it. I did trace out everything just didnt get a chance to make new one yet.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
It sure does-a didn't get on that this year but I'm hoping to do something similar for Lent.

I got an advent calendar for Christmas this year-it's a little clothesline with a numbered slipper for each day- I love it!

A dear person did advent gifts for me this year and what a wonderful suprise it was! Definately going to 'pay it forward' this year! :grouphug:

tbutler

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
I cannot recommend this highly enough:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/ ... ew=details

We do the weekly advent celebration with this wreath. The kids take turns placing the figures that come out each week. (ie, one week we do shepherds, angels, wise men, etc.) We read verses from the Bible and pray. Then, Dad reads a Christmas story from Christmas in My Heart while Mom dishes out cinnamon rolls to everyone.

It's a holiday tradition that my kids have grown to absolutely love!!!