Airlines To Cut 60 Million Seats at 2008 Holidays

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Eeekkkk! I just read on My Merry Christmas -- that there is a prediction that the airlines will cut 1 out of every 14 seats this year during holiday travel, because of all the increased energy costs. That translates to 60 million fewer seats for sale this year than last year.

Another good reason to plan early!! :frosty:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Does anyone use a videocamera connecte to their computer for talking to friends/family members? Some of my family hyas them. In recent decades, I have noticed that cameras have done a much less flattering job of taking pictures of me. I am not certain that I want to send photos to my loved ones with every message. Does anyone use those computer-live-cameras?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
For those people who would rather stay home for Christmas this year, this is a great excuse for not flying.

I told dh I wanted a PC camera. I told him I DID NOT WANT ONE IN THE MONITOR. Several times I told him this and I explained I wanted the camera to show what I was scrapping on my desk and not looking at me!! Yep, he ordered a monitor with a camera built into it. I've never turned it on and I have a piece of paper covering the camera hole. It kept looking at me. lol

He has done this several times. A few years ago I said I wanted a lap top but I wanted to choose what programs were on it. So he orders one that has no programs I use. I've said several times I do not want a new camera, I now have a new Rebel in the closet which doesn't take as good pictures as my little Kodak. One year we were at office max looking at label makers. They had a pink scrapbooking one that we were looking at, I told both him and the sales person it did not do what I wanted, the fonts are too small. So I got it for one Christmas.If I wasn't so vocal about what I like and don't I could understand it but I have no problem saying No I don't like this one.

Now I'm trying to find things he doesn't want for his gifts. It's really hard because I actually listen to what he says. I think I'll give him GC for restaurants, he doesn't like to go out to eat but I do.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Ahorsesoul :slap: I am sorry, that sounds very similiar to MY husband! Sometimes he reminds me of the forgetful wolf trying to hunt "something" from Bugs Bunny!!

When we decorated our first home I was expecting our second son, 2 weeks away!!

I had told him I did not want a light carpet, and NO pinkish undertones... I did not tile with pits and dints, too hard to clean and not an obvious pattern... I really did not want any brass (popular at the time) or orange/honey wood for the kitchen.

What did I come home to find installed? Wall to wall (shudder) PINK beige carpets (with a young son, a bassett hound and a baby on the way!), with pink beige walls, going into pinkish tiles that had the very pitted surface I did not want, leading into the honey oak cabinets with brass switch plates, knobs and covers.

In my very emotional state I sat down on my PINK carpet and cried. (I delivered two days later) We brought our second son home to a teddy bear picnic room, pink carpets and pink beige walls.

Good luck :leprechaun:

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
SparkleNana said:
In recent decades, I have noticed that cameras have done a much less flattering job of taking pictures of me.

Something is wrong with our cameras too because I have noticed the same problem over the last 15 or 20 years. What's up with that? Very weird.

leslie03

Retire Member
Jul 14, 2008
Augusta, GA
HouseElf - that was so funny, I couldn't help but laugh. We bought a 70's home when I was 5 months pregnant. While I was at the apartment packing, my husband was at the house painting with his buddies. My son's room is the only one that is painted a color (the rest is just beige). I said, I don't want baby blue but I don't want navy blue either. Just pick something that won't take a ton of work whenever we decide to move. So he gets dynamic blue. It's pretty bright and took some getting used to. NONE of my family liked it when they saw the room.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Something is wrong with our cameras too because I have noticed the same problem over the last 15 or 20 years. What's up with that? Very weird.

Wow! The same thing is happening here! I think it is a conspiracy, and now my mirror may be in on it too! :rotflol:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This is so true. And the street signs, the letters are smaller and smaller every year!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
With the current economic situation -- it looks like the airlines made the correct decision - to cut seats for Christmas travel. With the trillion dollar taxpayer bailout, and the highest unemployent numbers in - how many years? It looks as if many fewer people will be using the airlines, both for business and for pleasure travel.

Does anyone have any recent experience with travel, or with trying to make or change reservations?

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I don't fly so I have nothing to add to the travel part of this thread.

But I do have a suggestion to make to get what you want. This might sound a little "kooky" but I've found it to work more times than not when I can remember to do it lol.

Instead of telling your hubby's what you don't want tell them what you do want. For ex. I want XYZ. Make no mention of what you don't want.

This really does work with everyone. My granddaughter will sometimes run threw the house if we say don't run in the house she might quit for 2 secs. lol But if we say I want you to walk threw the house she'll walk for alot longer.

I've read somewhere that our minds tune the don't or not out so others don't hear what we're saying.

Hope this helps.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It's not just cameras. Has any one else noticed that mirrors are also very unflattering lately or is it just me? ;-)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
So true, mirrors now have little cracks in them that make my face look like it has wrinkles.