Aldi

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have been shopping at Aldi's off/on for the past year now mainly getting produce, some baking supplies, snacks and a few other things here and there. I have not tried many of items in there mainly because I am not sure of the quality.
What are some of your must have items from there and what were the items you did not care for at all?

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We love the dairy products from Friendly Farms. I also love the block of Parmesan they sell, but can't remember the name. I like their boxed couscous, dried macaroni, frozen tortellini, frozen meatballs (good time saver on busy nights), tortillas, frozen potatoes, mama cozzi fresh pizza dough, the garlic toast is good, we like their breads, especially the take and bake at home ones, the Naan bread is good, and the kids like some of the cereals. I buy my flour and sugars there, too.

I like their Ultra Paper Towels and J loves the toilet paper. I was a Scott tp user forever, but we couldn't find it during the pandemic and tried the Aldi brand and he prefers it now. It's the one with the burgundy/reddish wrapper.

I don't buy canned fruits or veggies there. I don't want things made/processed in China and prefer Delmonte canned vegetables. I don't care for their frozen chicken fingers, chicken fries or tenders. The kids like them, but I don't care for them.

Reactions: jampss and Minta

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We love their big jars of unsalted cashews.!! The take and bake pizzas are excellent! The croissants are pretty good and decent price. I’ve bought fresh chickens for soup, butter and cheese. My store, the produce is hit or miss. I just stocked up on the box stuffing and the box potato’s. The stuffing is exactly the same as stove top brand and the potato’s are just as good as Betty Crocker. I don’t buy canned goods there either.

Reactions: jampss and Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I don't want things made/processed in China and prefer Delmonte canned vegetables. I

Now that statement caught my eye! I was under the impression that Aldi's canned goods WERE name brand, like DelMonte, just with different labels on the cans. That holds true for frozen chicken being Tyson, the sugar being Domino, etc. For example, I can buy a can of Lindsay olives from Meijer that have a lovely olive design stamped on the top of the can. Or I can buy that same can with a different paper label from Aldi for about half the price. Not 100% sure it's true but I wouldn't be surprised. Another fun fact is that they are owned by a German company and that their "sister" business is Trader Joe's.

Looked a little further online and found some info - and basically - it's complicated :(

"It is a requirement in the United States that companies label product with the country of origin should that product be made outside of the US. ALDI does have product manufactured in other countries but it would be labeled as such with the country of origin. If the product is not labeled with a country of origin that means it came from the US."

I buy almost ALL of my canned goods at Aldi - never have had an issue with them at all. Baking supplies, cheese blocks including the Parmesan and Asiago are a steal compared to elsewhere! The Fit & Active Turkey Breasts in marinade are AMAZING and healthy too!

Basically I am a big Aldi fan :)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
We have had our ALDI’s maybe like three years now. I like it and haven’t had anything I didn’t like. The fresh deli pizza is our Friday night dinner. They have a good frozen non-meat vegetarian options for when DD28 lives here. Produce and cheeses are good. I get almond milk and coffee.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
When I was growing up my Uncle told my Aunt she could not buy anything from Japan. At that time Japan was breaking into the tech world (think transistors). The company my Uncle work for was see less profits because of Japan. She told me she just pulled off any label she saw that said Japan. lol

Now my stepmom who is from Japan does not like anything made in China either. This has been for years. We bought her a Sony camera because we knew her family worked for Sony. We had to take off the made in China label. lol

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
I find SOME of the fresh veg is good there (we're in the UK). I don't know if you have Lidl in America (owned by same people), but I've found Aldi veg is better quality. I.e not mouldy!

Reactions: Minta

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I notice that Aldi foods say that they are labeled as distributed by, so I tend to avoid those fruits and veggies. Just my preference. I do the same thing at Walmart and the grocery store. No judgement of anyone's choices, just what I prefer for my family.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I do the bulk of my shopping at Aldi: graham crackers, saltines, pita chips, kettle chips, peanut butter, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, flour, sugar, yeast packets (when my 2 lb bag of yeast finished up in March), chocolate chips, cocoa powder, chia seeds, flax seed, pepitas, bags of dried beans, flour tortillas, cheese blocks, frozen vegetables, frozen fruit, milk, eggs, bread, oatmeal, boxed cereal, decaf coffee, tea bags, seltzer, qt size freezer bags, and trash bags. Aldi was the first place to restock toilet paper, napkins, and paper towels this past spring. There prices are very good for produce but it can be hit or miss for me.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We don't have an Aldi's anywhere in Louisiana.