All Saints Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
This year, the passing of DH's grandmother reminded us how much we value the memories we have of our loved ones who've passed on. We are trying to plan something for November 1st to pass those memories on to our children. Nothing elaborate, probably just pictures and story telling , maybe some memorabilia we've held onto. I guess this is more in line with Mexican traditions than 'All Saints Day'. Does anyone else have plans-other than a halloween candy hangover? :ghost:

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
As part of my decorations, I use the top of the entertainment unit to put pictures of those who passed on. Even pics of pets who have passed on. I have a couple candles, a human skull decoration, some cobwebs, a few pieces of driftwood and stones from the beach a friend sent me. I light a candle and we talk about the people, I myself say prayers. Which reminds me...I need to add another picture to it this year. It's nothing big but it's nice and I like the little tradition we do.

We lost DGM last year and all saints day was extremely emotional for me. I went by myself and remembered her in our church (where she spent every available moment volunteering and running many of the programs there). There was another elderly woman there remembering her sister and she was crying the whole time. When I was leaving I was passing her and I reached out and gave her a hug. I think it helped her a little but it sure helped me, it was like my grandmother was there with me.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
We light candles and say a prayer (Eternal Rest Invocation). We have Soul Cakes with honey and butter, mugs of cider.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
From my understanding (family) Soul Cakes where given to the parish poor with solicitations of prayer for the deceased ~ on their behalf.

We do not give "to the parish poor" anymore in that fashion. But like most traditions passed along generations adapted them to our use. HTH :pilgrim: