Altering notebook covers

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I've been so inspired by some of the household and holiday notebooks I've seen throughout this site that have been "altered". All of my notebooks are binders I purchased at an office supply store and I just printed a page out with the title and clip art. I'd like to do something a little nicer. I'd like this to be my craft project for winter, but I've got a few questions...

Do you use regular binders like you find in an office supply store? Do you just glue the paper &/or fabric to the original binder cover? What type of glue? I'm afraid of the edges - will it begin to peel off with use (because I use mine A LOT)?

Thanks!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Well I have altered a lot of things.....journals etc...but my notebook is a clear view.

I can tell you though that you can alter a regular notebook because DD18 did this year for school and it has held up surprisingly well. She used modge podge and coated it after she adhered it to the notebook. Some others may have a better idea. Then she used the spray so it wasn't sticky...but only after fully dried.

I would suggest getting one thats a pretty color then you won't have to take your paper all the way to the edge...you can leave the notebook as a border around the altered art.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I have always wondered how others do it as well. I tried one that didn't have a pocket on the outside and the edges peeled up within a day. But I didn't put anything over it or anything so that's probably why. I'm wanting to do holiday notebooks for gifts so i'm interested to hear how everyone does their covers. Thanks Ginger for the ideas!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Yes, I've wondered about this as well. I have that box of great notebooks that my BFF's hubby brought me, just sitting in the closet looking all un-altered! I'm going to get busy on them...garden journals, project books for decorating projects, and Christmas notebooks for gifts.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Modge Podge :slap: Leaving an edge around the paper so it doesn't peel :slap:

It makes perfect sense to me - now! Thanks, Gingerbug!

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
I have an altered clear view if that makes sense!

I basically scrapbooked it and then slip it into the clear pocket, doing the same with the spine and back.