Am I too OCD?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

gllatshaw

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2008
Florence, South Carolina
Does anyone else "match" the Christmas decorations or is it just me? I like for everything to go together with the same colors through out the house. So I rarely change my decorations because it involves too much. New stockings, tree ornaments, etc. Then I wonder if it would be better if I had things with "history". I love Christmas - family together, strangers seem to be a little nicer - but I hate the trappings. It keeps me in a tailspin. Jill

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I think matched decorations are beautiful, but not for me. LOL I have too much of an eclectic taste to have everything go together.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I like things to "coordinate", but switch up my themes and colors between rooms or areas of the house.

Some things don't match - but since those are usually the items with some sort of history or story, I don't mind that much.

:-D

Debbieoz

Retire Member
May 21, 2008
Rural Kansas
Oh I wish I could make everything match. I started out that way 25 yrs ago, but now it's all a mish mash. Maybe when the kids move out I can be more like that. By the way, there's nothing wrong with it. I always love the way it looks.

peppermint pattie

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Mine don't match but I think it stands out more. I have collected ornaments for as long as I've been married which will soon be 3400 years. I couldn't bare to part with them.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I like things to blend together, but not necessarily match. My BFF, on the other hand, has to have everything match perfectly.

I like my stuff-clothes, accessories and decor-to look like it's first cousins, not identical twins! But that's just my personal preference, and your plan is equally beautiful to me to look at! I have one hard and firm rule when it comes to decorating-it's MY house and I'll decorate it MY way...and YOU should decorate YOUR house YOUR way! And if your way is everything matching, then no, you are absolutely not too OCD about it!! Make yourself happy, sister...life is too short to stress over Christmas ornaments! Decorate the way you want and revel in the season!!

And don't forget to take loads of pictures to display on our upcoming virtual Christmas Tour of Homes..coming in December to Pumpkins and Reindeer!!

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
You are not alone. My mom just redid her tree decor (from silver to gold...she spray painted quite a bit of it :haha: ) because her new sofa wasn't going to match the tree this year :thud: . Her decor is always so elegant & picture perfect. My tree reflects my three kids so we have all kinds of cartoon characters, homemade items and lots of colors ::eek:rnament: .

Bren :flower:

P.S. I don't think you are OCD...you just know what you like & stick with it :package: .

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
gllatshaw said:
Does anyone else "match" the Christmas decorations or is it just me? I like for everything to go together with the same colors through out the house. So I rarely change my decorations because it involves too much. New stockings, tree ornaments, etc. Then I wonder if it would be better if I had things with "history". I love Christmas - family together, strangers seem to be a little nicer - but I hate the trappings. It keeps me in a tailspin. Jill

No, I don't think that's too OCD.

Time for another Christmas Crazy confession....when choosing the colours to paint my living room, I dug out my Christmas decor to compare with the paint chips to make sure it wouldn't clash. :oops:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
You're definately not OCD. My decorations don't exactly match, but they are color coordinated. I've tried to do something different but I always wind up back to my tried n' true scheme.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I think its okay, but whenever I hear of this, I have to laugh. My daughter came home from someone's house last year and was like..OMG..it was like walking into Target. The couple had their house done in white throughout the year. Then at Christmas they only added RED. Everything was Red or White. That would be too much for me. Only on Martha I think!! LOL

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
WOW peppermint pattie that is a long time to be married!

I think I am a little OCD too. I would like the whole house to look cohesive, like model homes that are all decorated in one style throughout. But if I see something new I like I have to have it or imitate it. So, to get around all the unmatching stuff I like to think the house "flows", (she said with a sweep of her arm). Beginning in the front with the beachy and glittery colors of Christmas and no red in the living room, to the dining room with turquiose and lime green and adding red, on to the kitchen with bright red and gingerbread so the browns can transition past the dickens village and into the family room which is rustic cabin with navy blue and the darker more burgundy reds and no glitter. I'm thinking all this in my head and hoping people get it by mental telepathy. :haha:

Remember what Cathymac said after all it is your house. Enjoy it.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
OCD = Official Christmas Decorator
What's wrong with that? Nothing wrong is doing it your professional way.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Speaking as a person with OCD, I think your fine :flower:

I think I do like the definition of OCD = Official Christmas Decorator better :rotflol: Thanks for the laugh Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have no theme or colour scheme, it has just evolved and changed over the years with our family. I do though love the co-ordinated look that some folks manage to achieve.

gllatshaw

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2008
Florence, South Carolina
You gals are too funny. I like your definition of OCD ahorsesoul

I think I may just start small - keep things simple this year. How does nothing but lights on the tree sound? Maybe if I stick to traditional colors I can just add a little each year and won't get so overwelmed. I'll just have to stay away from the Christmas books and magazines. I know that won't be much fun but I get myself into so much trouble with those things.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
Yes I like everything to match, but do have different colour schemes for different room and themes. I think part of the fun is planning what will go where.

:flower:

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
I used to have everything just scattered about until I started with OC. Then I read the posts from the ladies who "had it all together". WOW they actually had different themes and colors for each room. I had NEVER thought of doing that. :confused:

So I divided my decor into 4 different sets of colors and themes and now, people think I (little ol me) am the Christmas Queen of decor LOLOLOLOL......I really am NOT, but they think so.

I didn't even have to buy much it was mostly items I already owned.