Any ideas for sides?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
Hi everyone,

Now that Christmas is taken care of (except for the gift cards), I am trying to focus on Thanksgiving. Does anyone have ideas for REALLY simple sides? I have done macaroni and cheese, broccoli casserole, green beans, and squash casserole. I would really like do something different, but simple. Any suggestions?

:turkey3:

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
A rice dish my mil makes is really good. It's one of those dishes she just threw together, so doesn't have an actual recipe. She just made a batch of white basmati rice, added some Mrs. Dash table blend, some grated white cheddar cheese, some grated asiago cheese and some grated parmesan cheese. Mixed it all together and baked it until heated.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Need to rethink my holiday sides dishes. I love the sweet pototoe dish I do (whipped sweet potato with pineapple, a couple tbsp of brown sugar, a tbsp of old style mustard, salt and pepper to taste)... but need something else.

Interested in a brussel sprout dish, a corn dish and a green bean dish?

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
Thank you for your ideas. I was thinking about a sweet potato dish. I'm not crazy about sweet potatoes. But, I think my family would enjoy it, and they are very healthy. I'll look into a rice dish. Those will be nice changes. I know I'm doing green beans and macaroni and cheese (by request).:rolleyes:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
MMMMM.....all sounds yummy!

Southern Living has a really good recipe for Roasted Cauliflower and Brussel Sprouts in a Bacon Dressing...pardon me while I wipe the drool off the keyboard! Just kidding! :)

The prep parts can be done ahead of time, which is nice.

Another simple one is to pre-cut up butternut squash and yukon gold potatoes into cubes, add some diced sweet onions, salt & pepper. Keep in fridge until ready to roast. Add the fat of your choice (bacon drippings are the best IMHO) - just enough to slightly coat and then roast at 375-400 for about 45 minutes...

YUM!

I'm noticing a bacon theme here with my veggies...lol

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
I make brussel sprouts every year. I cook bacon in a skillet, remove it when done and dice it, then saute shallots and halved brussel sprouts in the bacon grease. Right before serving I put the bacon in and sprinkle it with a handful of brown sugar.

Yum