Anyone else noticing that missing week between Thanksgiving and Christmas?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Anyone else feeling a little time-pressured? The logical side of me knows I'm on time with my schedule but the Christmas side of me is really noticing that week we lost with Thanksgiving being late in November. I googled the dates for Thanksgiving for future years and we won't get Thanksgiving back into that earlier slot until 2016, 17 & 18. I guess we just finished the "early" Thanksgiving cycle last year.

I suppose there's two ways to look at it though. If your deadline for Christmas shopping is BEFORE Thanksgiving, then that extra week is great. If your deadline for shopping is "after" Thanksgiving (like mine is) then it is not so great. Guess I'm going to have to join the Pre-Thanksgiving team! ;)

Thanksgiving Date 2013-2019

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thursday, November 28, 2019

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
wow, interesting to see that it will be late for a while. I noticed it b/c I felt like I should decorate early. DHs birthday is the 23rd and often Thanksgiving fell on his birthday and when it doesn't and it's later it feels really odd for me.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Me!! I really am feeling it in all departments...shopping, decorating and baking.

sloanmama

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2009
Ohio
Yes! I really feel behind this year with Thanksgiving being a week later. I'm in the same boat as Shannon... DS birthday is the 21st and, while it never falls on Thanksgiving, it somehow throws me off when his birthday is a whole week earlier than the holiday. Probably didn't help this year that we went away for Thanksgiving. When we got home, it was already December and since we don't put our tree/decorations up until after Thanksgiving it seemed like I was behind the 8-ball as soon as we got home. Oh well, I'll just have to adjust since it's not going to be changing anytime soon. :)

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
I am totally feeling - as Lisa says "in all department." Strange because I knew it would be late but did not think it would make that big of a difference. How wrong I was!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
One of the blessing of not doing thanksgiving, we have a clear run to Christmas. Phew, I could not afford to lose a week at this stage.

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
A friend of mind celebrates Hanukkah and she was really feeling the stress a couple of weeks ago. She said to me "just think of it as celebrating Christmas and Thanksgiving on the same day". I'm not sure I would have been able to do it all.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I've been tumbling all over myself trying to get it all done! I really am going to have to do some footwork to finish shopping. I know it will get done, but it's been a tough go of it so far. It seems we have something every Saturday, and our major shopping town is 50 miles away making it even harder.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have some decorating left to do but other wise am doing ok.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I am SO far behind...need to finish shopping and mailing this weekend and finish my cards and get them out. I haven't even decorated yet!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I prefer Thanksgiving falling a week earlier because it gives you more time to prepare for Christmas and I get to have my decorations up longer. However, it seems to me like Christmas has been slow coming this year which has me moving slow. Due to my slow motivation I am behind in my preparation. I have to finish gift shopping. Haven't done any baking whatsoever. Plus I need to get food items for my Christmas Eve dinner.

I will say that I've enjoyed this season. I've watched a lot of holiday movies and dranked a lot of eggnog. :D Guess it's time for me to put the petal to the metal and get things done.

This week I only work Monday-Wednesday. Giving me Thursday thru the weekend to get everything completed.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I knuckled down yesterday to finish the holiday decorating. I do wish I had done this earlier. It looks so nice. And it really wasn't that hard once I started. I need to make a note in my notebook on this so I can remember next year not to put it off.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I had to catch up yesterday so did what I said I wasn't going to do and did some evening shopping. That screws up the dinner hour and makes everything rushed so I only went for a couple hours and brought home Teriyaki for dinner. I think it was worth it. May need to do it again later this week and I just might make it in time.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
oh great..totally bummed me out because my daughters college schedule is so weird, but at the same time I'm glad I know this now. Thanks for the heads up!