Anyone else on WW?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I decided to join WW a couple of months ago and I was just curious if anyone else on MHH either is doing it now or has in the past? I did the program donkey's years ago and it is very different now - the app alone is such a game changer!

I've been doing well with it and have been trying to plan ahead for the holidays in such a way that I don't crash and burn!

So really just putting a shout out! Would love to chat on healthy - ISH :D eating during the "BER" months!!!

Reactions: luludou

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I haven't done WW but I do have to watch sugars, carbs and cholesterol. That is ever so fun... :rolleyes: To reduce my cholesterol, my doctor suggested is to use non-fat dairy products. My daily intake of cheese is now down to maybe once a week. My twice a week egg dish is now about twice a month. And ice cream... well... that is a weakness that I'm still dealing with here. I'll be watching this thread to learn more.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I did WW years ago and lost about 30 lbs. I have been considering starting again. I am also watching my cholesterol, so I have been increasing my fiber intake and am trying Step One Foods. I don't know if it's helping because my next appointment is in 5 months. It certainly helped with not feeling hungry.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I did WW years and years ago (like 25?) and did not have much success. I know my weaknesses and just need to start keeping a daily count of carbs (bread, mostly) and creaminess (mayo, cream-based dressings, dips and spreads -- I'll take creamy ranch over oil and vinegar any day). I'm also trying to go more fresh or home-canned, vs. sodium-laden commercially canned goods. Need to get the HBP and cholesterol down even more.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I also did WW many years ago, (I think I have tried them all). Not sure how it all works now but I did like the accountability of weighing in every week and tracking your progress.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have did WW several different times. One of the last times I lost over 50 but gained it back. It works for me and I don't think it is hard but it is a change that needs to stay and ........ I fail at that.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lana, this is my struggle. I lose and then gain it back. I have never kept it off for long.:(

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Familiar stories! Hard to lose, harder to keep from getting it back!!!

I'm going to approach this as a permanent thing - which will loosen up a BIT once I'm at goal. I've started plugging in favorite holiday recipes to the WW app, choosing lighter ingredients where possible - like reduced fat sour cream instead of full fat, etc. I'm not a fan of fat free anything - just can't get past the taste - so reduced fat ingredients are as low as I go! lol I'd rather have a tiny bit of the good stuff than a whole bunch of something I have to choke down!!!

If anyone wants to swap healthier recipe ideas feel free to shout out! I'm happy to join in!

I also heard something that seems pretty powerful to me - "Put the good in before you take out the bad" - so add in the healthy foods first, eat them first, before you start worrying about restricting the "bad" foods...so if you are full of veggies and fruits you may not want AS big of a piece of chocolate cake - for example! :DAnyway it's food for thought! :) Oh, that pun was no less terrible for being unintended....

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have done WW and lost. Like everyone. It's keeping it off that's the hard part. I agree with AJ that I would rather eat smaller portions than to use the fat free version.

A word of caution to those who may be diabetic to check the carbohydrate content of fat free foods. To compensate for the flavor lost in fat free foods, they often have more sugar added. I once checked the carbohydrate content of fat free Cool Whip to regular. The fat free had one more gram of carbohydrates than the regular. Granted, the calories were lower, but if a person has to be concerned with carbohydrates due to diabetes, the regular in smaller servings of a product may be the better choice.

The last time I lost about 25 pounds, I did it simply by reducing portion sizes, which is what I'm currently trying to achieve again, along with eating fewer snack-type foods.

Good luck, everyone!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
A word of caution to those who may be diabetic to check the carbohydrate content of fat free foods. To compensate for the flavor lost in fat free foods, they often have more sugar added.
Sigh... I was doing whole fats to lower my carbs. It worked. However, my cholesterol level skyrocketed. My dr. said to go non-fat and retest in 3 months. We'll see. Sometimes I just feel like giving up but I won't. I know what would happen.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I am currently back to following my WW program. I do love the app.
This restart began on the 8th. I have not earned that blue dot every single day, but 6 out of the first week, 5 out of the second week, & so far each day this week.
I had great success with WW years ago. I began gaining after my knee injury. I stopped my daily walks at that time & started eating & eating & eating. Then I gave myself the excuse that "Life is short".
Well, my triglycerides were in the 700s at my last check up.
I love the purple plan!
I am part of a FB group for the purple plan.
I've learned to like whole wheat pastas. Brown rice, maybe not so much.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am definitely learning about new foods! And learning what I didn't know about the one I am eating!!!

missjane - So true about the fat free foods! They have to compensate - or TRY - for the taste somehow.

I'm going to continue to look at this as a permanent change - I have made a list of freezer friendly WW items as well as ones that would suit to the holidays and I am starting to plug in places to test them out in our weekly menus. If we like them I'll officially plan for them for the holidays!

Thanks for the tip about Facebook groups, Lolwlias! I hadn't thought of that! We're on the blue plan - working for me so far. DH just started.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Today I cooked sausage gravy for my son & grandsons. I cooked myself two eggs & I put one tablespoon of sausage gravy with my eggs. This way I had a taste of that sausagy goodness but not enough to totally kill my day.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
For anyone who might be interested I have recently hit a jackpot of recipes, tips, product recommendations, techniques, etc. This is a WW member that created five (so far) cookbooks you can download for free from his website. I highly recommend. The author is a dad who is stay at home to take care of their two special needs kids. He is also hilarious. Laughed out loud so many times reading the recipes!!! I'm so excited to start making things!!!

One of the best things about this is that they are different sorts of recipes. I've been noticing that after a while, the same recipes keep repeating over and over on the various blogger sites. His recipes are either completely different or he goes about making something a different way to lower the points.

So for what it's worth, feel free to check it out!!!