Anyone ever made a Valentine mobile for kids?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AEMC

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2011
Texas
I was reading a book by Angela Thomas--"52 Things Kids Need from a Mom" and she wrote about making Valentine mobiles for each of her kids--she said it surprised her how much her kids (who were older) loved them. On the mobile she had hung different pieces of paper with words she wrote about them. Anyway, I want to do this for my kids this year--and don't really know where to start. I have an idea with just hanging them with yarn on a clothes hanger....just don't think this will be so attractive. Can anyone help me?

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Since it is just for Valentines Day, Maybe you could hang them from a chandelier or ceiling fan. If not, I would just get some easier to bend craft wire from the store and bend it into a circle.

AEMC

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2011
Texas
Jinglemom, I will check at Hobby Lobby and see if I can find something like that. I'm not crafty at all...so it didn't occur to me that something like that might exist. I think I am going to talk to someone who works there in the store to help me out with any suggestions. I am hoping to find a way to make it look pretty.

Thanks so much for your suggestion!!
Angie :)

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
If you have a dollar tree you could check there also. I know ours recently had some craft wire that came in different colors. One was pink which would be good far Valentines day.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
That's a real cute idea. I don't know where I could hang it from in my house...

The idea inspired me to get the heart shaped doilies I saw at the Dollar Store and write words to describe my children on them. I'm thinking that I could post them on their bedroom walls each morning after they leave for school between Feb. 1st and Feb. 14th.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I love the idea of writing on the heart-shaped doilies! TFS!

AEMC

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2011
Texas
What GREAT ideas!!

I had not thought of writing on doilies at all--that's a great idea. I had been thinking of using scrapbooking paper that I had cut into heart shapes.

I haven't yet been to craft store as of yet.

I am thinking of hanging these mobiles in their rooms from their ceiling fans?? Not sure yet.

Tonight, I was a little disappointed when I was telling my husband about this and he told me not to make one for my son--that it was "too girly." I am sad about this. Do you think there's something else I could do instead for my son? He's 9 years old.

Thanks so much for all of the help and suggestions!!

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Maybe you could combine the heart idea with food. Boys tend to overllook the girlyness of hearts when they are in the shape of food :) Once my ds13 was drinking a lemonade when his hockey team went to eat pizza, one boy started joking that lemonade was a girly drink. I pointed out that he was saying this as he was eating a pink heart cookie. So apparently heart cookies, even pink ones, are not girly. Maybe you could write the words on heart cookies, they have food writing pens if you don't want to do frosting. I usually give my boys a small box of chocolates (about 6 pieces), maybe you could print the words and make very small hearts and put them underneath each piece of chocolate.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks for sharing the link, Jackfrosty. They are real cute.