Anyone have LED Twinkle Lights yet?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
At least one of my strings of mini-lights has burned out in the middle of my tree in mid-season for the last 3 years. New lights too! I am looking hard at going LED on all the twinklers this year but am a bit worried about that "blue LED light" look that, well, LED lights seem to have. I do see there are some that advertise a "warm" light -- but I think all LED bulbs are warm-light wanna-bes. ;-)

Looks like supply is a little better this year and the prices seem to be coming down a bit. Did anyone use LED Twinklers last year? What did you think? Did it give off that warm Christmas glow?

(Twinklers are the ones where every other light twinkles on and off rather than the whole strand blinking all at once).

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have not had much success with our LED lights. The first set was too 'cool', the second set that was 'warm' failed to work for a second year, a section lost light. I have not tried "Twinklers" but am interested to hear if anyone else has! Sounds nice :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Haven't tried LED yet, but may have too since the other lights are getting harder to find and I do remember I need to buy new lights.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I'm not sure if any are the twinkling kind, but Target usually puts their lights on a display board so you can see what the lights look like on. i think I have also seen little plug adapters that will give a normal light strands different control functions, so maybe that could be an option if you cant find the twinkling kind.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks everyone. Yes, I buy my lights at Target or Home Depot. Those are the ones that burn out. But in the past I have not spotted LEDs that twinkle except online. Not even Cosco. They are expensive but am thinking prices must be coming down, right?

Twinklers are on option on some of the ones with the multiple controls and I do have those in the incandescent. (You have to read the labels carefully to make sure they say "Twinkle"). But alas, these are the ones that are burning out.

In hunting for these, Amazon has some pretty bad reviews for the LED minis/twinklers. The best reviews seem to be on the Bethlehem Lights. Went to their website and was so wow'ed by one of their pre-lit trees (The Huntsman) I almost got completely distracted! ;-) (But then I saw it was $1000 with only a 3-year warranty on the lights. Ouch.)

Back to business though. In digging through the various disappointed reviews and comments on Amazon, one person said:

"The GKI Bethlehem Lighting brand of LED holiday lights is warm white *only* when it says so in the listing. I have been pleased with the warm whites I have bought. Like these:
GKI Bethlehem Lighting 50-Light 5mm Wide Angle FlexChange LED Warm White Mini Light Set, Frost.

Anyone have the Bethlehems? Off to do more digging....

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
They are getting better and better each year. I held out for awhile before I bought mine. I do not like the "cool" look. It would bug me driving by a house with icicle lights that were cool blue looking. I want a WARM GLOW dang it!! My big complaint is the plastic look they all have now.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Our Target has the lights out...with the outlets so that you can see them. We bought some last year, but returned them...too bright! I don't think i've seen the twinkle ones.

Laney

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
St. Louis, MO
If there was anywhere that I would trust to spend big bucks on lights, it would be Bethlehem Lights! I have come SO close to buying them for the last 3 years, but then I finally remember that finances aren't quite ready for them just yet. In the next couple of years, though, that is the route I am going!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I was at Target and they have LED Twinklers. Warm ones. BUT they are put out by the same company that Target always carries (Phillips, is it?). This is the company that burns out. Three....years.... in... a... row. A big dark patch on my tree. I just can't risk it again.

The Bethlehems will be expensive. Maybe white twinklers this year and color ones next year? (I do white on the outside and color up the trunk).