Anyone with pets have a Roomba?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I had one some years ago but spent more time cutting pet hair out of the rollers than I cared to deal with. Have they improved enough to buy one? There are some good deals going on right now. We have dogs, cats and kids.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
My friend has used a Roomba in her home, with both cats and dogs in her house. She runs hers several times a week, especially when they are shedding, and also uses her regular vacuum at least once a week. And, she just ordered a new Roomba today. She added that her Roomba does require regular maintenance on the rollers to remove hair and fur -- and she does that task at least once a month on both the Roomba and her regular vac. Hope this helps!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I have a Neato and love it! I run it every night at midnight and have two big dogs that shed a lot.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have Neatos here with two large hairy dogs and a cat. They do need maintenance but well worth it. I do one yearly cleaning. I before it apart to clean everything and replace the filters. Monthly I vacuum the filters. Everytime it runs I empty the dust bin. Neatos alway thank you for putting the dust bin back. They do vacuum up a lot of dirt that a regular vacuum misses. I think becuase they vacuum slower than we do so the smaller dirt gets picked up. The first few times you vacuum with one you might have to empty it once or twice before it is done with its cycle.
They also have some little bitty windows that need to be wiped with a q-tip if they get dusty. It is their eyes.

I have alway cleaned my vacuums so I do not find this hard to do. I just cleaned and washed the basement vacuum this morning. I had Dh order a couple of more filters for it in case they stop making the brand.

Dh is a vacuum hoarder. We have at least 10 vacuums. This count does include shop vacs and a small hand held one. I never mention anything about a vacuum I see when we are out shopping because he would buy it even when I say I do not want one. Our LC are lucky because he has bought them vacuums too.

Anyone else have a huge assortment of an item?

Last edited:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
On my old Roomba I had to clean the brushes multiple times a day. Took forever. And I used that thing all the time. Finally started glitching and I just gave up. I don't mind cleaning daily but not hourly. Are the pet ones designed so the hair doesn't jam in them? And for those that bought a Neato, why did you choose that over the Roomba?

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
My critters are all long haired. Short hair would be so much easier! My old one had bristles. The newer models seem to have rubber rollers but not all of them. Those don't seem to be ones on sale.

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I had tried a Roomba when they first came out. They had a lot of trouble with the wheels. After getting two replacements in just a few months We just asked for our money returned. We waited a few years when the Neatos came out. Have been happy with them.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
The Neato was on major sale in a Black Friday deal at our Navy Exchange a few years ago so I picked it up. I order replacement pieces (a little brush on the outside edge and the filters) to change out every few months on Amazon for cheap (not Neato brand). We empty the bin every night before bed and then it runs at midnight while we're sleeping. Just have to make sure you clean out the bin well each time, hair sometimes gets stuck in a clump in the hole where it enters the bin so I have to pull it out of there when emptying it. But i've been very happy with it. I did have to send it in once for repair because I kept getting an error code and it stopped working, but it was within the warranty time and they paid for shipping and everything. It didn't take any longer than a few weeks even from here in Hawaii. I was pretty impressed with their customer service.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I don't know if this is helpful or not. I thought I'd pass it on after reading the Walmart email I got today. Walmart will be selling the iRobot Roomba 670 online only starting at 7 PM ET on Wednesday, Nov. 4th. The sale price will be $177, a savings of $67.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thought I'd follow up on this thread to say that I ended up buying the Roomba at Costco last month and .... I LOVE IT! Highly recommend! And it doesn't get jammed with the pet hair. I'm pretty impressed with how much dust it picks up! I just got the regular one, not the one with that fancy gizmo attached to it that will empty trash for me. It is SO nice to be able to pick up the house while my little buddy works right there with me. I feel like I have a little friend. My kids are amused by this!