April 2020 Rudolph Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
April's hostess is GrammaDeb so watch this space for the titles of the movie, book, magazine, blog, You Tube craft or cooking video and Pinterest idea going up soon.

Shake off the "I'm so tired of being in the house" with some Christmas cheer!

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I have a feeling this Rudolph Day will be unique...more time spent with family. As such I have searched for ways to take a breath, slow down, and involve our children or grandchildren. Enjoy, have a cup of warm cocoa, and have a Happy Rudy Day!

Book - "The Christmas Box," by Richard Paul Evans. This book is one of my favorites. "So begins The Christmas Box, the touching story of a widow and the young family who moves in with her. Rick, Keri, and their 4-year-old daughter, Jenna, are hired as caretakers and are welcomed into the Victorian home of Mary Parkins, an elderly widow, just before the holiday season. As the relationship between Mary and the family develops we learn that Mary's past sorrows are compelling her to share an important message with Richard. But will he understand her message in time? A heartwarming story of parental love, healing, and Christmas."

Movie - "Mrs. Miracle." "Overwhelmed widower Seth Webster is searching for a housekeeper to help him with his unruly six year old twins. Mrs. Miracle mysteriously appears and quickly becomes an irreplaceable nanny, chef, friend...and matchmaker."

Blog - Almost 40 years ago the downtown shopkeepers in our small town participated in a gingerbread contest. Ever since I saw those beautiful creations I have been entranced. I hope you enjoy www.gingerbread-house-heaven.com.

Magazine - This month since I can't get to the library, I chose some excerpts from Martha Stewart Magazine online. www.marthastewart.com/1504835/christmas-decorations

YouTube- I found a delightful book at the Goodwill a few years ago all about folded napkins. Here is a fun pinwheel napkin. https://www.attagirlsays.com/pinwheel-napkin-fold

Pinterest - Do you remember making paper snowflakes? I have a friend who cuts dozens of snowflakes every year, to hang from windows and ceiling and even the front porch. www.hgtv.com/design/make-and-celebrate/handmade/how-to-make-a-snowflake-curtain

Pinterest - I made a variation of this ornament when I was 12 or 13 years old, using old Christmas cards. www.hgtv.com/design/make-and-celebrate/handmade/card-stock-christmas-ornaments

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
GrammaDeb, it is getting cooler here and I am looking forward to this months Rudy Day. The libraries are closed so it will be impossible for me to get a book but I am looking at downloading books and magazines.
Glad that we have youtube and other things on line. I will be thinking of ways that we can celebrate a back to basics Christmas in case things are not back to normal by then.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Great selections! I love to experiment with napkin folding - the pretty designs really add an elegant touch to your table. We had a wonderful time viewing the gingerbread house creations at the Sheraton in Seattle last year - such amazing ideas!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Watching Mrs Miracle on YouTube.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have found Mrs Miracle on YouTube and will watch it this afternoon.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thank you for those links.:) I was able to escape the world for a bit. I had a nice time just reading and looking and dreaming.

Reactions: GrammaDeb

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Lovely Rudolph Day. Bought Mrs. Miracle on Amazon Prime (didn't think to look on You Tube!) and really enjoyed it. Love those little towns, all decorated for Christmas, and a great love story. Really enjoyed going through Martha Stewart's decor ideas and saved Balsam Hill trees to my favorites, love the Flip Tree. Great gingerbread houses, the use of pretzel sticks for logs was ingenious and so many great cereal ideas for roofs. Couldn't get an electronic copy of the book, saving that for when the library re-opens. Loved the napkin folds, I have several books on napkin folding and have used quite a few of the designs for special family and holiday dinners. I bought the follow on Call Me Mrs. Miracle movie as well so will enjoy that tomorrow along with browsing through the snowflake ideas. Great links!