Are Your Plans Realistic?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
What do you think? Are you attempting too much this year?

At some undetermined point, Christmas insanity sets in for me. I no longer realize what is actually realistic - either financially or energy-wise. However, that time has not come yet. The temperatures in the high 90's are keeping my expectations under control now.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
... I was beginning to think so but after I did my lists last night... well I just might be able to do it!

Cinnamonstix

Retire Member
Sep 4, 2008
NB, Canada
Not really, I have simplified Christmas so much over the years.

We cut out buying for most...so it's not a stress financially anymore. I mean when it came down to it, we were buying things that people didn't want, already had or didn't like. So the 'don't buy for us because we are not buying for you' has worked out well.

We even cut out family gift exchanges when two sis-in-laws had an arguement over the $$ amount being spent...we do a small ornament exchange now $10 limit and I love it.

We've also given up the 'run here and there' on Christmas day. We now have a small intimate supper here...husbands parents are deceased and I only have my mom left so she is invited here, visit grandparents on Christmas Eve(where my family gathers for two hours) and visit DH's siblings on Christmas night(where they gather for two hours).

I can honestly say it has taken alot of convincing to get it to this point but now Christmas is a pleasure and not a stress.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I think for the most part my plans are pretty realistic, we keep the holidays pretty simple and our focus is clear.
I do worry about job security this year = that is in my mind all the time :sad:

As for my house, I am trying to be positive, surely the renovations will be better then last years demolition at Christmas! ;-)

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I'm hoping my plan is realistic - last year I followed the HGP and it worked out really well. I like the idea of a longer plan, as in previous years I had been trying to acheive the same (from a cleaning point of view) but getting it done all in one week. This year I have written my own plan which is a combination of HGP and HHP and few of my own things thrown in, so I think I am getting there slowly. I've also done more planning and budgeting throughout the year which I am hoping will help.

I am sure also that when my house renovations are complete cleaning, de-cluttering and organising will be much easier. It definately won't be finished for Christmas 2008 but here's hoping for it to be done for next.

:frosty:

Cinnamonstix

Retire Member
Sep 4, 2008
NB, Canada
Hmmm, are we all under house renovations this year? I'm hoping to have all mine finished before the middle of November.

That being said, back on the subject at hand.

snowball

Retire Member
Aug 3, 2008
Michigan
I would say I'm pretty realistic about my plans for Christmas and cleaning. I've learned to keep Christmas simple. The kids get no more than 5 presents each and we bake cookies on one day to make memories.

As for cleaning, I tend to make a daily list that's simple and stick to it.

I'll stick to the plan if I'm not overwhelmed.

InstantMom

Retire Member
Aug 2, 2008
I think my plans are pretty well-grounded in reality this year, at least financially. DH and I are working the Dave Ramsey plan to clean up our financial house, and that makes it easier for us to stick to the budget, which is where we traditionally lose touch with reality! As for the tendency to get hectic and over-committed, we agreed when we did the values check-up to just not go there this year. We are putting spiritual and family time first, and if other events fit, that's great.

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
I hope so, i'm trying to have the mindset, whatever i get accomplished i'm proud of and what i don't i'm not going to stress. Hopefully i will keep the positive attitude going and not sweat the small stuff.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I think I'm in the same boat as iluv2scrap. I am trying to get a lot done, but in relatively realistic chunks. And if I don't get everything finished, then that's ok. (My DH was suggesting to me yesterday taking on another home decorating craft project - to be completed by Christmas!! If I do take it on, I will be aiming to have it done by Easter and I MIGHT get a chance to do it before Christmas).

I know I have put a lot on my plate, but I think because I have listed out a lot of things and done it by week, I have allowed myself a better chance of achieving it, and even if I don't get it all done, it is already looking a lot better than last year. So I will be happy with every bit of progress that I make.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I sure hope my plans are realistic. I learned a long time ago to not put so much pressure on myself. If things get done, they get done. I am not going to beat myself up. And, I learned not to make a lot of detailed lists/plans. I must admit that it is easier now that we all go to my daughter's on Christmas....but it was hard for me to accept. My biggest problem is I have too much stuff in a too little place. I'll be glad when I can start wrapping Christmas. My other problem is I make lists and forget to read them. :rotflol: I hope to do much better this year with the help and encouragement of my MHH family.

:bigsnow:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Well, they were when I made them, but life has a way of changing everything doesn't it?

Without going into a lot of tedious details, my situation has changed quite a bit, so my plans need to, as well. I am going back to work full time, so now I am really glad I spent the summer cleaning and decluttering the house...I shared a few little details on my blog, if you care to check it out.

On the plus side, my Christmas prep work should be a little easier financially anyway!

I am going to spend the rest of this (probably) last week at home, finishing up what must be done for everyday order, then the weekend trying to revamp the HGP plans as necessary!

Life is a blast, isn't it?? :rotflol:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Cathymac - you are so right! Life absolutely is a blast! It is so hard for me to accept that the lovely little plans I make - often have absolutely no connection to what really happens in life! Luckily, we are a very flexible group of absolutlelly wonderful people here at MHH! :grouphug: