August 15- Guest Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
This week's focus in the Summer Edition of the Holiday Grand Plan is:

The Guest Room

Anyone have plans this week for cleaning/organizing this room?

Annie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi AnnieClaus! I've totally lost track of the Summer HGP....... HOWEVER...... I AM working in the Guest Room this week!

This is a really tough area for me to decluter! Things that I REALLY want to keep...... but they are things that REALLY do not belong ANYWHERE! So.... they have been put INTO the guest room..... and now I have to TRY to deal with them!!!! So... it is mighty slow going!!!

Do you have a guest room? If so.... what is in there BESIDES the things that are designed for guests? What else can we keep in there? Would it make more sense to just pay for a hotel for the few nights a year that a guest actually stays there? And use the room for something else?

I do not know the answer to these eternal questions.......

I do not know what to do with the miscellaneous things that are stored in the GUEST ROOM......\

But.... I am working on it

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
YAY! I actually did this room last weekend. I changed over the curtains/bedding for fall and completely emptied one of the two closets...I made it my DESK! It must have been a desk for the previous owners because the top shelves are narrow and there is a much deeper one at table height. Also, there is an outlet inside the closet and a folding chair fits nicely underneath. I moved all of my holiday NBs and other "supplies" to the shelves, repurposed an old lamp and put my iPod dock in the corner of the desk and plugged in my laptop. Ta Da! DH and I have been sharing a desk/office at home (we work outside the home but often continue working when the boys go to bed) and it was very stressful...I like a clean workspace, DH doesn't mind mountainous piles. Finally, I have my own space!

Kim Loves Snow - since I know you love school supplies as much as I do, I must admit to splurging at the Target Dollar Spot for a cool cork board, white board and matching magazine boxes and fabric cubes for my new "office"!

I still need to tackle the remaining closet...that will be my goal this week.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Colleen in PA -- that desk setup sounds fabulous!!! This way -- you don't use up the floor space. Having the electrical outlet in the closet is really nice!!!

I worked in the Guest Room today, for a while. Baby steps. This room has held so much junk and clutter!! It is slow going. But the bed is clear..... and the room looks nice from the doorway. (You have to walk into the room to see that there is still a lot of stuff to go through.)

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
SparkleNana, we've been here before, haven't we? My guest room no longer looks like the small landfill you mentioned at the time, and someone can actually sleep in it now, but I'd really like to get it fixed up -- painted, carpet cleaned, new twin beds. It has a double bed, but I think twin beds are more versatile. I managed to empty a couple of drawers in the chest, though the closet is still full of wrapping paper, gift bags, ribbon, gifts, etc. Don't know that I'll get to it this year, but it is on my list of want-to-dos.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
WOW!! ChristmasRose -- that takes me back...... for a LONG time, my Guest Room really was a "landfill". Much too much miscellaneous stuff in there! We had consolidated all the storage from the basement.... into that room. I don't even want to think about how much work it took to get it sorted.... and out the door! (Donations or trash... out it went. Very little stayed.)

And.... what do I miss? So far..... nothing! Well..... OK. I might miss the piano..... but, luckily, our daughter took that - for her kids. (We bought it for her, when she was 9, so that seemed appropriate!)

ANd.... having a room that is "presentable" for guests.... is wonderful! (Plus.... handy for those very rare times... that your dh is SO ANNOYING.... that you decide to take a "mini-vacation" in the guest room.