August 2014 Great Pumpkin Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Fall AND Halloween are just around the corner....What will you do for Great Pumpkin Day this month to get ready?

I plan to pull out the party planner and get some things ready for my annual Halloween party!!

:dracula:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I know I'm not having a party this year but I do want to prep a few more H.Potter craft items because one day I'll have a H.Potter party! and I will be READY.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Halloween door to door trick or treaters have become non existent. This just breaks my heart because I have so many amazing memories of our Halloween trick or treating for miles.

Just a note. I'm not sure about your area but on the several forums I visit I've noticed everyone saying that their pumpkins produced much earlier than normal due to the odd weather. I'd suggest getting your fresh pumpkins early or there may not be nice ones left.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
We will be on vacation in Branson, MO on GPD this year, so I'll probably do a little shopping for fall/Halloween stuff while I'm there.

As an alternative planning date, I'll probably use the weekend before to do a little notebook updating and planning. I have been doing our Boo!Bash for so many years now-this is #8-that it really requires little real planning. This year I am adding several features, but I planned them last year. We had to move everything inside last year because of rain, so this year I am hoping to implement them.

I just can't wait for fall...the day after Labor day is the day I consider the kickoff to the holidays!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Some preparations have already been made for our August Great Pumpkin Day. Several trips to the Dollar Store and to Michaels Clearance Aisle…. have yielded four or five bags of new (inexpensive) Halloween decorations… for the large outdoor decoration area beside our house!!!! I am seriously thinking about having a Halloween party this year!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yes…. the holiday season begins right after Labor Day, for me, too!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I know I'm not having a party this year but I do want to prep a few more H.Potter craft items because one day I'll have a H.Potter party! and I will be READY.

Yes, you will have a Harry Potter party and it will be fabulous!!!

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My kids have been talking about making a costume for Beau.

They should have done it last Halloween when he was just a wee pup.

I would like to see how they are going to get a costume on a 50 pound Lab with major anxiety issues.

:p:p:p:p

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Ellen, we never have trick-or-treaters anymore, either. Our downtown area about 10 miles away (the hub of our parish) has candy at all the businesses. They close off the street and children are walking everywhere. A couple of schools have a carnival. I guess people consider that safer to do. I miss having them come to the house. I still buy a little candy, just in case, but the last 3 years - not one person. :(

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I would love to hear…. how "trick or treating" is currently done…. throughout the USA. In our neighborhood….. we DO have lots of trick-or-treaters. And…. some still do 'Trick Or Treat For Unicef". Old fashioned and nice.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I didn't have any preparations going on for Great Pumpkin, but I think I really would like to host a small gathering to celebrate the arival of autumn. Hmmmm. I have to see how my pockets look. Don't want to take on too much as I'm hosting for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then again, I can have folks bring a dish. I mean that's what we do whenever we get together....soooooo......Yup! I'm going to host a little gathering in October. :)

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
My boys are itching to start decorating for Halloween. DH is adamant that we not put anything up until the last week of September, but I really need to go in the basement and take inventory of what we have (sounds like a good GPD project!) We decorate every room downstairs - generally with a theme (bats in the kitchen, spiders in the living room, crows in the family room, etc.)

Every year I say I'm going to have an adult Halloween dinner party and I never quite get to it. Since Halloween is on a Friday this year, maybe I can plan something for that Saturday...after the kiddie fun. For the last few years we've hosted the neighborhood families with small children before trick-or-treating, but there's not too much planning involved besides getting a headcount and ordering food. Maybe I'll send actual invitations this year instead of an email!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
If any of you have the little haunted houses for the dollar tree, they put out new little pieces this year. Like gates and gargoyle post..and little people. I'm super excited and picked those up a couple weeks ago. Only one of my stores had them out, so be on the lookout. My big pieces are painted, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the little pieces.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
Well, all my work for our harvest dinner is all for nothing. One of the two families in our small group keeps coming to events sick. We have to cancel our small group suppers until after cold and flu season is over. :(

Looks like our fall activities are just going to a trip to the pumpkin patch.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I put some fall out cant wait to decorate for Halloween I watched Charlie brown halloween this morning with one of my neighbors kid. such a cute movie

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Had lunch with a girlfriend at a Farm today and what did our eyes see...PUMPKINS!!! Big pumpkins and lots of pretty mums. I for one cannot wait for fall to arrive.

Last edited: