August 2014: Recipe of the Month

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
We went on a cruise to Alaska and had some yummy cold soups. We especially enjoyed the fruit ones. I do have the actual recipes from the chef on the ship but I've also been collecting others. Here's one that I'm wanting to try so I thought, we might as well try it as our recipe of the month. You can use it as an appetizer to a meal or as a dessert soup. I think it would make a lovely soup for a summer brunch.

Strawberry Soup

1 lb strawberries, rinsed and hulled

1 TBSP sugar plus a little more to your preferred taste of sweetness

Juice and zest of one small orange

1/4 cup water

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1/3-1/2 cup milk

Mint for garnish

1.Roughly chop strawberries and place in a small sauce pan with sugar, orange juice, zest, and water. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, squashing the strawberries into sauce with your spoon until they break down into a thick sauce.

2.Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Taste for sweetness and add additional sugar if necessary.

3.Place chilled strawberries, yogurt and 1/4 cup milk in a blender. Puree. Stream in additional milk to get to the desired consistency. Chill until very cold, serve garnished with mint.

Yields 2 cups

I haven't tried this one yet so I will plan to try it during August and let you know my thoughts. I'd love to have you join in and try it and provide your feedback, tips, and changes to it.

:clothes:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This sound really good.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Sounds delicious!

Annie

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I haven't tried this strawberry one yet but we did try a cold peach soup the other day. It was "ok" but it called for Greek yogurt which I think overpowered the peach flavor. I like Greek Yogurt but it does have a very distinct taste and it just wasn't right for the soup even though the recipe called for it.

Anyone trying any cold soups?

:clothes:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Never have, but hey sound interesting for sure.