August 2017 - Declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Thanks luludou - how have you been?? I hope you and your family are all well x

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Good for you AJ. I rather give than do a garage sale. I have a charity pick up on Tuesday.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Almost everything has been dropped off at the consignment shop. I have a large box that DH will have to help with and a smaller box, too. It's all house/decor stuff. I took all the clothes first because that's what they stop taking first. I'm ready for it to.be.gone.

AJ, I've done that before. Just got tired of the junk and dropped it all at Goodwill or another thrift store that takes donations. Be sure to check about consignment shops, too. It's no work for you except to drop it off, and you make a percentage of the sales.

Reactions: Christmaslvr

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
A few more weeks and I will be starting. I have my list of charities that will take certain items and as I am clearing things i will place them in boxes for those charities.
Stuff has to go.

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
I will be joining in when the HGP starts - I have bags upstairs that I will be using as a keep, reuse, recycle set so I can finally make a dent in the clutter and junk we have up there.

Well done AJ on getting it all clear and doing a good deed at the same time.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I almost did it. I was aiming to reduce my clothing to 40 pieces and had a little trouble letting go of some items so I am down to 46. This does not include the clothing I have to have for work or coats. I have lots of tops and some nice sweaters I like to wear in fall and winter as opposed. I held onto my painting clothes to. Tomorrow is the charity pick and I have quite a pile for them between what I have pulled together and what DS left for charity. Wish I was able to do more but it is a start.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
did declutter a few things in the basement today:
- 1 3-ring binder
- 1 coat of dd's
- 1 of ds's underwear
- 1 toothbrush holder
- 1 turtleneck sweater

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We are to the 2nd side in garage sorting. Burnt several boxes and sacks of stuff yesterday, have 4 or 5 ready for trash pick up, have a wagon getting stuffed put on my the auction place and a trailer for stuff we are keeping.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I sorted through 2 drawers of paper work. Ugh! That was tedious but it is done. I have another cabinet of papers that I want to work on today.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I have to get on to the paper work too! My mum and I share a paper shredder so I must get it from her and start. What a job.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm going to start "eating the elephant"! The whole downstairs is just crazy, still stacked with moving boxes full of stuff, tools and building supplies everywhere, clutter galore! Since we aren't using that space to live in it has really gotten neglected other than sweeping the floors.

I'm going to just start getting down there and going through one box at a time. I am SURE there are more things we can just get rid of.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I will join you in eating an elephant. I have a small room where I keep many crafty things and school stuff, idea books for teaching, (some in the garage too) sewing supplies and jars from my jar club. I need to let most of it go next am off tomorrow let's see what I can do with it.;)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have never heard the expression "eating the elephant" before. So funny and so apt.
I have a garage just like you have described but most of it is DH stuff. He might need to get in there soon and tidy because if I do it won't be good.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Katrina, you made me laugh with the comment about your DH's stuff. I, once, and I emphasize the word - once-, thought I was helping my husband out when we were first married by organizing his work bench in our basement. What I thought was junk was not junk to him. That saying "One man's junk is another one's treasure" is so true.

I got rid of more paper clutter from the cabinet. I'd like to tackle more of the basement over the weekend or next week if the weekend doesn't work out.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, it is funny what we can do in the name of helping out. One time many, many years ago I decided that my dad's teapot needed a good clean. I scrubbed it inside and out until it shone. My dad was so upset because I had taken years of wonderful tea flavour off the inside of the pot. I am not sure if I was ever forgiven.