August 2019, declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
August... hoping it'll be a good month to get stuff out... we need stuff out of the house before we start our cleaning for Christmas (it'll be easier :) to clean)

Reactions: Ahorsesoul and Lana

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DH got rid of a few pots of paint this morning.
I sure wish he would agree with me to get rid of some big pieces of furniture but he just doesn't see my point :( ... I want to simplify... the more furniture we have the more stuff we keep.
I'll keep working on emptying the armoires and desks so that I can show him we don't need them because they are empty.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Lucie, husbands are the hardest to convenience. Somehow they grow seminal as we grow towards simplicity. After our big purge last year DH is ready to do it again. He says there is more stuff that can go. So once you get a break through with DH hang to the momentum Purge Ahead!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Miss Jo Dee, I agree. DH is wearing threadbare tee shirts form years and years ago. He has a lot of stuff especially in the garage. He does not think that it is a priority to get rid f it. Eventually we will need to purge as there will not be room for it all at the farm.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
September is the start of Spring cleaning here. I will take some time in August to plan what needs to be done. Hoping to get a bit of decluttering done while I do the deep cleaning.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Yesterday I found the Shelf on the Elf items I got a couple years ago on clearance and took to Jaymee. 3 outfits, the Letters to Santa kit, and the Elf on the Shelf set that was all $25.00. The Elf is $29.00 itself and kit was $24 as outfits were $9 for 2 and $6 for other but I got them like in Feb. or March so they were all real discounted! Jaymee had left hers at Hoyleton so I got them for her when she got a place.

Took 4 shirts that I got at Goodwill for Teigan down too.

Also took a game out of here.

Today going to see Aunt Imogene we will take a huge sack of plastic bags for recycling.

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
went to ds's house this afternoon... and brought him all his remaining shirts and pants :) still have some sweaters for next time we go

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Allen went to Jaymees this afternoon and took 2 boxes of glasses a box with 3 bottles of wine she brought with her when she moved in, a new sand box we have had for like 3 or 4 yrs. since a store went out of business (we have one here too) and some sand, took 2 other sacks with some cups of Teigans and not sure what else.

I threw a bunch of old towels and washrags away.

I know it is VERY early in August but liking it so far. Getting some things sorted and gone thru.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am going to do my best to declutter them email account I have with the Comcast. In anticipation of moving sometime I realized my account would be gone so I set up a new gmail account and will start changing things over to that. I have so many files for emails.
This will be a better system anyway and can follow me wherever I am.

I will also continue the second round of decluttering the house. I have 2 closets, 1/2 of the garage, and some of my sewing and craft stuff. I am not as focused as I want to be but it will definitely get done when doing the GHP starting September 1. if not before. (hoping for before)

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Old washer and dryer - gone. Vic's discontinued uniform parka donated to the Sea Cadets. Sophia's car loaded with things for her to take to the consignment shop - two of the CrockPots, three boxes of hangers (the skinny velvet kind, 120 hangers in all), Christmas bowls and mugs, glass prep bowl set (5/6 bowls, 2/6 lids), mini soy sauce dishes and bowls (5), 3 baskets, two framed pictures, teapot, Djibouti decorative wooden box, Starbucks mug, and a box of things that I was keeping for her - piggy bank, three Jim Shore Disney pieces, and a letter file. That counts as decluttering if I pass it on, right?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
That counts as decluttering if I pass it on, right?
As long as it is out of your house it is decluttering.
Good job all

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I recycled a bunch of Spring and Summer catalogs.

Also went through a 15 minute digital declutter.

Last edited:

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
Hi ladies,

I haven't been on here in a while. I've been purging and trying to cut down on things off and on for months. I've gone thru books, dishes, record albums - 33s and 78s (I've got mine, my Mom's, and my great aunts {old ones!}), clothes, paper stuff...I've made several trips to Goodwill and tossed a lot of paper. (why did I save all this stuff??) Still lots to go thru. I inherited all my Mom's things...and it's taken a while but I'm comfortable letting some things go now. My Mom loved making scrapbooks, and I've got probably 2 dozen notebooks full of articles and pictures in plastic pages. I've got tons of crochet and knitting booklets. Unfortunately, I don't do either. I do quilt, so I'm keeping some of her quilting magazines. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the scrapbooks, I just don't want to keep them all...maybe just a couple. She had told me to dispose of them if I didn't want them...but I'm thinking of taking out the family notes and greeting cards, and making 1 album of those. Then I thought maybe a nursing home would be interested in a few scrapbooks of interesting articles (mostly on times gone by) and pretty pictures as something the older folks can look at. What do you think?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
...but I'm thinking of taking out the family notes and greeting cards, and making 1 album of those. Then I thought maybe a nursing home would be interested in a few scrapbooks of interesting articles (mostly on times gone by) and pretty pictures as something the older folks can look at. What do you think?

Congratulations on getting through all of those items. It's a job for sure.

Before you get rid of those scrapbooks, are there any family historians in your family or second/third cousins who might enjoy reading them too? I'm my family historian and while I try to watch what I take in the house, I don't have much of anything from my grandparents or great-grandparents. I think the notes or articles special to a family member are nice to keep. Another thought is to take a pictures of each page in the scrapbook. It is time consuming but it would only take up computer space and not space on a book shelf or end table.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Two bags of mens clothes are out the door, Mum will take them to the charity tomorrow.
Need to take bottles to the bottle return facility and get the money for them.