August 2020 declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Loaded the car with things to take to Sophia - rolling cart for her preschool classroom (it held my scrapbook supplies but I've relocated them), large Longaberger basket (she took the media rack and two smaller baskets when she was here last time but didn't have room for the large one), two laundry baskets (swapped them out for smaller ones), two wire baskets that hang from a shelf to make extra storage space, 16 Dr. Seuss masks, and a stack of things she will take to the consignment shop (lantern, wallet, ten DVDs, and a camera case).

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
Can I ask a decluttering question (hopefully not too off-topic)?
Do any of you 'help' your family declutter by getting rid of things you're 99% certain they wont miss without checking with them?

I ask because I live with a wonderful, brilliant, THE BEST (lol) dh who is also one of the messiest people I know, and holds on to EVERYTHING. Not sure where I stand morally on decluttering on his behalf

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Do any of you 'help' your family declutter by getting rid of things you're 99% certain they wont miss without checking with them?

I ask because I live with a wonderful, brilliant, THE BEST (lol) dh who is also one of the messiest people I know, and holds on to EVERYTHING. Not sure where I stand morally on decluttering on his behalf
Yes, often. I usually keep a list so that if, on the off chance, someone is looking for something, I know that I tossed it. When they ask, it's not because they need it, it's just because they remembered having it and wonder where it is, however, it can be YEARS between the tossing and the wondering stages!

Reactions: rabble

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
Yes, often. I usually keep a list so that if, on the off chance, someone is looking for something, I know that I tossed it. When they ask, it's not because they need it, it's just because they remembered having it and wonder where it is, however, it can be YEARS between the tossing and the wondering stages!
Brilliant, thank you! A while ago I DID sort through dhs socks (he had two drawers full AND a storage box. Dont ask), and chucked out a lot and he hasn't said anything. Looking around at his stuff throughout the house and im wondering what else I can get away with decluttering :p

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

My dh even holds on to old used spark plugs. You know how often something requires an old used spark plug. When I first starting decluttering. I ask Dh to do his things. I waited 6 months, nothing done. So I said if he didn't declutter his things I would after I finished in the kitchen. I waited again. Then I told him I would be decluttering his things next month. Next month he came home from work with his area decluttered. No he wasn't happy but I was careful not to toss out anything remotely useable. But it was neat and clean.

Next time I started to declutter he grabbed a trash bag and started on his items without me saying a thing. Another way to declutter someones items is to box up what you'd toss and let them know the box is going to a thrift store next month. Works with kids who have moved out too. Box it and let them know it will be gone. If they do not come for it too bad.

Reactions: Lana and rabble

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
My dh even holds on to old used spark plugs. You know how often something requires an old used spark plug. When I first starting decluttering. I ask Dh to do his things. I waited 6 months, nothing done. So I said if he didn't declutter his things I would after I finished in the kitchen. I waited again. Then I told him I would be decluttering his things next month. Next month he came home from work with his area decluttered. No he wasn't happy but I was careful not to toss out anything remotely useable. But it was neat and clean.

Next time I started to declutter he grabbed a trash bag and started on his items without me saying a thing. Another way to declutter someones items is to box up what you'd toss and let them know the box is going to a thrift store next month. Works with kids who have moved out too. Box it and let them know it will be gone. If they do not come for it too bad.
Very good idea, and seeing all the (junk) and that it fills an entire box could put things into perspective for dh.
I understand your frustration with spark plugs! We have some of them too. Along with wires, plugs, random lightbulbs and batteries...
Dh is also a nightmare for opening up two identical items at the same time- like using two different tubes of toothpaste/deoderant etc.
I dont feel as guilty now! Thanks for the advice

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009

Once. Never. Again. :( I did this early in our marriage and then later with my then 5 yr. old dd. Dh was so hurt by what I thought was junk. It was his treasured item. Dd cried and cried and cried for years over the stuffed monkey she won at a game.

Years later and not in spite, dh did the same thing to me thinking he was helping by decluttering the garage which also stores my stuff. The problem was those were treasured items that I hand picked to save and he didn't know. Nowadays, I go through my things to declutter and involve the family when I go through things throughout the house.

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
Once. Never. Again. :( I did this early in our marriage and then later with my then 5 yr. old dd. Dh was so hurt by what I thought was junk. It was his treasured item. Dd cried and cried and cried for years over the stuffed monkey she won at a game.

Years later and not in spite, dh did the same thing to me thinking he was helping by decluttering the garage which also stores my stuff. The problem was those were treasured items that I hand picked to save and he didn't know. Nowadays, I go through my things to declutter and involve the family when I go through things throughout the house.
Ahhh I didn't think of that. Could cause a lot of offence!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I decluttered a section of our garage that is used for trash and recycling. We had a bunch of cardboard boxes being saved over the months to be reused for moving to college. Everyone is packed up now. The unwanted ones were recycled this morning. The area has been swept and I filled another trashcan with stuff that made it's way to the floor.

Reactions: Lana and Ahorsesoul

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
This week the kids have bagged up a lot of summery clothes that they have no intention of wearing, and I am donating a few items of clothing, shoes and bags to charity. Also in two minds to donate a load of Yankee Candles that I bought on a whim forgetting I'm allergic to them

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I went through more toys/games with dd. We filled two trash bags filled with missing/broken pieces. I also filled two more trash bags of craft/art supplies that we are no longer using. I brought up a bunch of things from the basement that the donation center won't accept so they will go into the trash next week too. I also have started another section in our garage for donations.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
A small children guitar (broken), a few tiny toys and TONS of school papers were decluttered over the weekend.

Was feeling upset yesterday as dh has NOT gotten rid of any of the 4 couches now in the basement ... grrrr... one was put in the gazebo and that's ok but we need to get rid of at least one!!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Lucie, my first thought was to shove one in front of the stairs and leave it there, thinking it would be in his way and he would remove it...but than I thought like a man and figured he would move it out of his way and not remove it. lol.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Good one Jody! :) He did place it so it's not in the way, but it will make vacuming more work... guess he'll have to do it ;) !

2 binders, 2 cups, 1 plate, are added to the bag I will bring to the thrift shop in a few minutes. The bag is full, good!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I was hoping to get some things done yesterday and this coming Saturday. It doesn't look as if that is going to happen. Spent yesterday evening checking on DD24's damage. DD27 and DsonIL are coming today to stay. They don't have electricity or water. It may be a full week before they do have it.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We upgraded the kids from twin to full size beds. Gave away 3 trash bags filled with bedding to various family members. I went through my dresser and got rid a bag worth of clothes that were old, worn, and didn't fit.

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
I took 2 boxes and 2 bags of infant and adult clothes , 6 books and a large Santa Clause to the Good will yesterday. It felt better than shopping!! I have a bad habit of saving a whole magazine for 1 or 2 articles I like. I went through 6 of those and then recycled the magazines.

Now to work through years of recipes I have printed, some are organized in binders / folders....... some are not.

Laurie

Reactions: Lana