August Celebration Calendar

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
August Celebration Calendar

Monthly Celebrations
National Peach Month One awesome large peach only has 60 calories- eat up!
National Catfish Month
Children's Vision & Learning Month - if you can’t see, you can’t read! http://www.childrensvision.com
Romance Awareness Month--- Start your own heat wave!
Family Eye Care Month--- are you or members of your family due to get their eyes checked? Make the appointments this month! Another big consideration to address this month is computer eye strain--- check out these two sites for info on how to help alleviate or reduce it http://www.visionworksusa.com/computereyestrain.htm and http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/irritated.htm

Daily Celebrations
August 1st – Girlfriends Day- do something with one of yours.

August 2nd- National Ice Cream Sandwich Day- catch the ice cream man and get this classic
National Mustard Day- make some of your own or buy a new brand to try on your sandwich

August 3rd- National Watermelon Day. A cup of watermelon has under 50 calories and contains a healthy dose of vitamins A & C. Hold a seed spitting contest!
http://www.watermelon.org/index.asp http://www.thevirtualvine.com/watermelons.html
Watermelon facts: The world's heaviest watermelon was 268.8 pounds.
There are more than 1,200 types of watermelon
China grows the most watermelons in the world
Watermelons are related to cucumbers, squash, zucchini and pumpkins

August 4th- NATIONAL CHOCOLATE CHIP DAY- tollhouse or ghiradelli- choose your morsel
National Backgammon Day- great game to learn and play as a family!
Hooray for Kids Day!-
Louis Armstrongs Birthday- listen to some tunes from the glory days of jazz
Kentucky Fried Chicken Birthday 1952--- regular or extra crispy?
Champagne is invented by Dom Perignon. (1693) I'll drink to that!

August 5th- National Sister’s Day- honor this special yet often complex relationship.

August 6th – Lucille Ball's Birthday (1911)- find some I Love Lucy shows to watch and marvel at the comedic genius of the red head who was ahead of her time!
National Root Beer Float Day- grab a mug, a bootle, a scoop, a straw and a spoon!
Celebration of Peace Day- shouldn’t this be everyday?
National Fresh Breath Day—buy a new pack of gum or mints

August 7th – National Lighthouse Day
National Raspberries 'n Cream Day. Raspberries have an impressive 8g of fiber per cup, so squirt a bit of Fat Free Reddi-Wip on some and have a party!

August 8th – Betty Boop's Birthday (1930)
National Waffle Day- Lego my Eggo!

August 9th- I think this is the busiest day of August- pick your cause and celebrate!
International Art Appreciation Day- when was the last time you went to an art museum? Not one near you- look up a famous museums website today and see what special exhibits they have on display and browse their website.
Book Lovers Day- find a new book to read or add to your Christmas list today.
Family Day
National Handholding Day- grab a hand and hold it dear. A simple gesture of affection that goes a long way!
Dance A Polka Day- have you ever danced a polka- it is fun! Can’t dance – then just listen to the chicken dance song and giggle.
Celebrate Your Lakes Day- Lakes are a precious resource- water, boating, fishing, walking around one- do something on a lake today!
National Rice Pudding Day- rice pudding is an underrated dessert- try a new recipe!
Middle Children's Day- aww the middle child – be a proud one!
National Underwear Day- Do you have some that need to be retired ( why do we keep underwear long past it’s prime anyway?)? Do it and buy some new ones!

August 10th- National S’mores Day- on the grill or the broiler is just as yummy! If you are a real lover check out the book S'mores : Gourmet Treats For Every Occasion by Lisa Adams for some above and eyond s’mores ideas!
Spoil Your Dog Day- isn’t this everyday? How about making him some homemade dog biscuits- he deserves some extra TLC!
National Garage Sale Day-- http://www.yardsalesupplies.com

August 11th – Kool-Aid was invented in Hastings Nebraska-- Have a cool glass today! What is your favorite flavor?
Sons and Daughters Day- appreciate yours no matter their age!

August 12th- International Youth Day- do something unexpected for a older kid today- pay for some gas
Truck Driver Day- give a shout out to the unsung warriors of the road--- give a honk to a trucker you see on the road today or do the universal sign to get him to honk at you. If you are feeling really generous- flash him the girls! That would make his day!

August 13th – International Left Handers Day- practice writing with your left hand whether you are left handed or not!

August 14th – National Creamsicle Day- mmm have you ever had an orange creamsicle cocktail? Might be your new favorite… Yum-O! http://www.drinkoftheweek.com/archive/c/creamsicle.htm
National Financial Awareness Day- let us all be aware--- maybe only use cash today?
Alfred Hitchcock's Birthday- rent a classic to celebrate!

August 15th – The Wizard Of Oz premieres in Hollywood in 1939- rent and watch this classic!
Anniversary of Woodstock- where any of you there?

August 16th- National Relaxation Day
National Lemon Meringue Pie Day Need to kick a lemon pie craving? Mix some sugar-free lemon Jell-O (prepared) with Cool Whip Free, and toss a small handful of crushed graham crackers on top. Mmmm...
Best Friend's Day- do something special for your BFF today!
National Men's Grooming Day- does he need a new razor? A new haricut? A new wardrobe? Be blatant or subtle- choose your tactic.
International Tell a Joke Day- what is your favorite joke? Tell it to someone today!
National Golf Day- isn’t golf a skill and not a sport? Watch Tiger play, play yourself or just practice your swing.
Anniversary of the death of Elvis 1977— listen to your favorite Elvis song today. Maybe Elvis’s Christmas Album?

August 17th – National Thrift Shop Day— visit your favorite one- or seek out a new one.

August 18th – Bad Poetry Day- write some- I know you can!

August 19th – National Aviation Day- be amazed by visiting this sight today and behold the amazing strides the world of aviation ahs made in nary 100 years-amazing and scary at the same time! http://www4.passur.com/ord.html click on LAX, O'Hare or JFK then zoom out to 20 or more miles and wait patiently for it to load
Spicey Food Day- whatever your level of spice
Potato Day- potato chip, mashed potato, baked potato- whatever it is – honor the humble potato today!

August 20th – National Radio Day- listen to the radio today when you normally wouldn’t- at home, while working the yard etc…
National Chocolate Pecan Pie Day- is there such a decadent thing? If you have a tried and true recipe- please post it!
Summer Cool-Off Day (The day lemonade was invented in Paris 1630)- fresh squeezed or Country time- it is all good in a tall glass with some ice cubes and a straw
Bad Hair Day (On the birthday on Don King)- poor Don.

August 21st - National Spumoni Day. Spumoni is an Italian dessert made of ice cream, candied fruit and nuts
Christopher Robin’s birthday- read some Winnie the Pooh or watch Pooh’s Christmas today.

August 22nd – National Tooth Fairy Day-
National Pecan Torte Day. In addition to their cholesterol-lowering components, pecans contain vitamin A, vitamin E, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, and several B vitamins.
Be An Angel Day- do a good deed anonymously today and feel like an angel
National Punctuation Day- where has all the punctuation gone?

August 23rd – National Sponge Cake Day - http://www.recipes4cakes.com/sponge_cak ... e_cake.htm
Eat a Peach Day- I posted a recipe for a great salad dressing recipe- Peach Basil Vinaigarette in the Holiday Cooking section under salads recipe - it is Yummy!
International Day of Rememberance for the Slave Trade and it's Abolition

August 24th – National Gymnastics Day http://www.usa-gymnastics.org cheer our team on in the Olympics
Single Parent Family Day- if you are one- give yourself a HUGE pat on the back, if you know one do something special like give them a couple hours sans kids as a special treat.

August 25th - Kiss and Make Up Day- Say I am Sorry, ask for an forgiveness and move on!

August 26th – Women's Voting Rights Day- 19th Amendment added to the constitution in 1920. This is an election year ladies- exercise your right to vote and start educating yourself now for that day in November.

August 27th - Toilet Paper Birthday invented in 580- can you spare a square? Next time you do your business, look fondly down at the squares you tear and observe a moment of EXTREME thanks.
Make Your Own Luck Day- Luck never gives; it only lends. — Swedish proverb
Luck is what you have left over after you give 100 percent. — Langston Coleman
National Cherry Popsicle Day- the double stick best kind! Slurp and lick and suck away- just like you did as a kid!

August 28th – MLK led march on Washington in 1963 and delivered his famous I Have A Dream speech
Buttered Corn Day- NOTHING says summer like fresh sweet corn on the cob!

August 29th – More Herbs, Less Salt Day ---- more power to Mrs. Dash!
Whitney Judson patented the zipper in 1893 - look up what else he invented
Hurricane Katrina strikes in 2005- has it really been 3 years?

August 30th – National Toasted Marshmallow Day. Marshmallows have roughly 20 calories each and they're fat free. Toast it up, Toasty!
National Neighborhood Day
The Late Show with David Letterman premieres on CBS. (1993)

August 31st- anniversary of Princess Dianna’s death in 1997
Trail Mix Day- trail mix, gorp, whatever you want to call it- have a handful even if you are not hiking the ridge today!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Once again, a great list!! Thank you!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I've adopted Aug 22 as my day because the 5th is rather dull!!! I'm off to check out Pecan Torte Recipe, that sounds great.

leslie03

Retire Member
Jul 14, 2008
Augusta, GA
This is a great list! I'm going to print it out and see what we can use at the office. I'm on the recognition committee. Maybe I could put notes in the bathroom on TP's b-day! :haha: