August Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I did that once...got rid of a spouse. My migraine headaches went with him. True story! The last one I had which landed my in the ER it was so bad was about 2 weeks after I left him. Haven't had one since.
glad the migraines have gone and the source as well.:)

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Out went the treadmill today! It was a big old beast of a machine, loved using it! Need the room more.

On a totally separate note, donated a bag of clothes; gave up fitting into 10 pairs of pants that I have been holding onto.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Gobs of paper and junk mail envelopes and such into trash. I am ALWAYS posting getting more paper out of the house. We get tons of junk mail and all the excess that comes in envelopes.

I haven't been out to check the driveway but I know Ryan and I pitched some stuff and then I came in and those 2 were out there.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
My sis left with some stuff for my niece:
  • a blanket that came from mom's
  • a bag of clothes from dd
  • A set of curtains from dd
  • 5 flower pots
  • 1 ceramic cow canisters that used to be on the kitchen counter awhile back
  • 1 giraffe lamp
  • 15 masson jars
  • 1 dvd/vhs player
  • 1 black small suitcase
  • 1 tajine
isn't that nice? and all things she wanted from the pictures I sent her.

Oh and ddil left with a small spiderman suitcase for Xavier

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Well, with the basement flooding today, my dh was hoping there would be stuff to toss. Last August, the basement flooded. There was stuff to toss. I decluttered the basement in the winter. There was stuff to toss (and give away.) I haven't added a thing to the basement since then.

I did decide that I really don't want to deal with a particular nativity set again. I don't know how else to describe it but it doesn't "spark joy." So, after 6 years of using it (because I passed on the children's nativity set), I'm going to "release it." And that thought alone sparks joy. :) I will look for a smaller one at a thrift shop.

There were a few small storage organizers that I saw in the basement that I have offered to my dds. I haven't had a use for them in the last 8 months. If they aren't taken to college, then I will donate them.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I boxed quite a number of items yesterday while going through all the "unders." They will go to the thrift store booth when I have time to price them. More items will be added tomorrow. As Mary said, there are a few items I kept yesterday that don't spark "joy" that need to be put in the box to go. I don't think I'll miss them.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Old lawnmower gone, but a new one did replace it - but it's smaller and uses the same battery as the weed trimmer so it will be more efficient for use and storage space.
An old dining table, a broken chair, plus a bag of old worn-out clothes and sheets gone.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DH is out in our garage. I am hoping that there are things that he no longer needs that will be decluttered. On the other hand he may discover things that he thought he had lost ;)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I did decide that I really don't want to deal with a particular nativity set again. I don't know how else to describe it but it doesn't "spark joy." So, after 6 years of using it (because I passed on the children's nativity set), I'm going to "release it." And that thought alone sparks joy. :) I will look for a smaller one at a thrift shop.
I like that ... "it doesn't spark joy" ... that's what DD29 and I did back in Jan 2019 ... we did a whole house KonMari and asked ourselves if it sparked joy. Unbelievable the 'stuff' we had that didn't!

I took the bag of clothes I had put in "quarrentine" after going through my closet and dresser a few months ago. That's how the minimal mom does it. If she doesn't have to go back to the bag because she can't live without it ... donate it. So, I took that bag and I also took a LARGE bag of clothes from a friend of mine. Her DS29 dropped it in her garage!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I've been doing that for about 8 years. It works!! I've also done it two other ways - by hanging the clothes hangers backwards. If, after a certain amount of time, they've not been turned around, out they go! The other is by always putting away the clothes I wear at the front of the closet. If clothes get pushed to the back and don't come back around to the front because they were never pulled out and worn, washed, and hung to the front after a certain amount of time, out they go! Same with socks and underwear. Washed and clean goes to the front.
I took the bag of clothes I had put in "quarrentine" after going through my closet and dresser a few months ago. That's how the minimal mom does it. If she doesn't have to go back to the bag because she can't live without it ... donate it.

I decluttered the two drawers in the Hoosier cabinet today and finished the "under" declutter. Many things will be going out. I shredded some papers we no longer need. All in all, it's been a productive day, despite some back issues that started a couple days ago. I can hardly stand from a seated position.

I would love to get through the table linens today, but I need to see how my back holds out. I love old table linens, but I need to make some decisions about which I will really use or not.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm decluttering the bedroom this week. I found a stack of books to let go. I went through the clothes hanging in the closet. I found three dresses that I could let go. I have a bunch of papers that were trash on the first go through. I will got through the rest at another time.

Dd went through her clothes in her closet and now we have a trash bag filled for donations.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I see on Netflix there is a new show/season starting by Marie Kondo!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Does cleaning all the dead plants out of the raised beds count? lol!