August Menus

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Monday 29th- Potato, ham and cheese pasties
Tuesday 30th- Chicken spaghetti
Wednesday- 31st Dinner with DB
Thursday- 1st Homemade Dinner Winner
Friday 2nd- Chorizo traybake
Saturday 3rd - Something from freezer
Sunday 4th- Buffalo nachos

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
DH had supper cooked several times last week since they were off due to high water, so I'll probably do a repeat of some of the things we had on the menus from last week.

Monday 29th: Chicken Pot Pie, Salad
Tuesday 30th: Chicken Fettuccini, Salad, French Bread
Wednesday 31st: Soft Tacos, Spanish Rice, Refried Beans
Thursday 1st: Football - eating out
Friday 2nd: Football, home game Hamburgers, French Fries
Saturday 3rd: Boiled Shrimp, Baked Potatoes
Sunday 4th: Pork Loin, Baked Sweet Potato Patties, Green Bean Bundles

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
DH had supper cooked several times last week since they were off due to high water, so I'll probably do a repeat of some of the things we had on the menus from last week.

Monday 29th: Chicken Pot Pie, Salad
Tuesday 30th: Chicken Fettuccini, Salad, French Bread
Wednesday 31st: Soft Tacos, Spanish Rice, Refried Beans
Thursday 1st: Football - eating out
Friday 2nd: Football, home game Hamburgers, French Fries
Saturday 3rd: Boiled Shrimp, Baked Potatoes
Sunday 4th: Pork Loin, Baked Sweet Potato Patties, Green Bean Bundles
How do you make Sweet Potato Patties?

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
It's going to be a beautiful week, so I plan on using the grill a lot.

Aug. 28 - Sept. 3, 2022
Sunday
-- bridal shower luncheon, so will likely do a snack-type thing for dinner
Monday -- BBQ chicken on the grill, corn on the cob, baked beans, coleslaw
Tuesday -- burgers on the grill, grilled potatoes, coleslaw
Wednesday -- Italian sausage on the grill with peppers and onions, salad
Thursday -- fajitas with peppers, onions, roasted tomatoes, and cheese, avocados/guacamole, Spanish rice
Friday -- salad, pasta, garlic bread
Saturday -- concert in the park -- veggies with ranch for dipping, cheese and crackers, sub sandwiches(?), roll-ups(?) mini sandwiches on dinner rolls(?)

Last edited:

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
How do you make Sweet Potato Patties?
I'm so ashamed to say that I cheat! We can buy them in the grocery stores here in the frozen vegetable section. Our walmart has them, so you may check yours. I put about a 1/2 tsp of butter on top and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.

But, I do make candied sweet potatoes. I don't really have a recipe (as with many things I cook). I learned to cook by spending the summers and many holidays with my maternal grandmother.

For candied sweet potatoes:

4 - 5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered (sort of - if it seems too big, make the sections a little smaller)
1/2 - 3/4 stick of butter
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon, if you like it (We like it, but not on this recipe)
3/4 - 1 cup of sugar
enough water to cover the potatoes almost to the top

Put the peeled and quartered potatoes into a 10 inch skillet (cast iron makes them taste best).
Cover with water almost to the top. Add butter. Bring it to a boil, but then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are just fork tender. More water may need to be added in small amounts , about 1/2 cup at a time, if it appears it's cooking too dry. Add the sugar (do not add the sugar before the potatoes are tender). Continue to cook at low heat until a syrup develops over the potatoes from the water and sugar. Stir (gently lift, really) only a few times to make sure it isn't sticking. Stirring will make the potatoes fall apart.

Sorry I can't be more precise. It's a test and learn recipe. Don't give up. You'll get the hang of it! lol All ingredients can be adjusted to individual taste - less sweet, less sugar; more sweet, more sugar. More people, more potatoes. Fewer people, fewer potatoes.
More buttery (that doesn't sound correct - lol), more butter.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I'm so ashamed to say that I cheat! We can buy them in the grocery stores here in the frozen vegetable section. Our walmart has them, so you may check yours. I put about a 1/2 tsp of butter on top and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
Thanks. Yummy. I have done something similar so I was just wondering if you did something different. The candied taters sound GREAT! :)

Reactions: Ahorsesoul